Muscular dystrophy or MD is a cluster of more than 30 diseases that are genetically inherited. These are distinguished by a muscle weakness that is progressive as well as degenerative. They are majorly classified into nine types. The classification is based on various factors like the age at the start of the disease, the extent of its spread and the pattern of inheritance associated with it. Muscular dystrophy is an incurable condition and it cannot be reversed. However, timely diagnosis and efficient treatment can prove to be significantly helpful in reducing the symptoms and slowing the progression of the disease.
Alternative Treatment For Muscular Dystrophy
Muscular dystrophy is treated with the help of conventional methods and strategies. However, there are many alternative treatments, natural and home remedies and different other therapies that play an important role as supportive therapies along with conventional methods. They have proven to be immensely beneficial in giving positive results in the treatment of muscular dystrophy. Some of the alternative treatments are as follows-
- Essential oils can provide you with wonderful results in reducing inflammation
- They can be used for management of pain in muscular dystrophy
- They can also help in combating depression and anxiety related to muscular dystrophy
- They can also provide relief from fatigue and tiredness
- This wonder spice is used in many different cuisines all over the world
- It possesses wonderful anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-septic and anti-biotic properties
- It can improve muscle strength and provide a relief from joint pain in muscular dystrophy
- Speech therapy is particularly beneficial for people suffering from facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy, as in this disease, the facial, shoulder blade and upper arm muscles are affected
- This disease can significantly impact your speech and facial movements
- Speech therapy helps by prompting the facial muscles to move, thereby improving the affected speech and other facial movements
- Physical therapy consists of a few exercises that are called range-of-motion and stretching exercises
- This type of exercises can help in restoring and maintaining the flexibility of the muscles as well as the strength
- Maintaining the strength and flexibility of muscles is very important while considering the treatment for muscular dystrophy
- Lack of activity, a sedentary lifestyle or a continuous bed rest can worsen the symptoms of muscular dystrophy, leading to further complications as well as emotional disturbances
- Exercises like stretching and yoga can prove to be beneficial in alleviating joint pain, if done under proper guidance
- Though exercises can prove to be very helpful in managing the symptoms of muscular dystrophy, not many clinicians prescribe them unless specifically asked by the patient.
- This is because not enough study is available on its benefits and usefulness in muscular dystrophy.
- Occupational therapy teaches you how to use assistive machines and devices like braces and wheelchairs.
- This therapy can help you in relearning the movements.
- Massage therapy can give you symptomatic relief in muscular dystrophy.
- It is very helpful in alleviating symptoms of many neuromuscular diseases.
- It helps by improving the blood circulation throughout the body, thereby providing essential nutrients to all parts of the body.
- Though it cannot completely cure the condition, it can certainly improve the symptoms by reducing them in frequency and intensity.
- Supplements are still being studied and so far there have been mixed results
- However, they are still worth a try as they might benefit some individuals
- Amino acids like carnitine and coenzyme Q10 can help in sustaining muscle tissue
- Glucosamine can be used for management of joint pain
- Vitamins A and C are great anti-oxidants and can be used for heart health and joints
- Probiotics can be helpful in affected digestive system
Muscular dystrophy is a cluster of more than 30 genetically inherited disorders, which cause progressive and degenerative muscle weakness in the body. It cannot be cured or reversed. However, some alternative treatment methods can prove to be beneficial when used with conventional treatment methods.
- Can Muscular Dystrophy Be Prevented?
- Can You Get Muscular Dystrophy At Any Age?
- Can You Survive Muscular Dystrophy?
- Is Muscular Dystrophy Inherited?
- Natural Remedies For Muscular Dystrophy
- Can Adults Get Muscular Dystrophy?
- Does Muscular Dystrophy Affect The Brain?