Acupressure is a part of Chinese Medicine to treat some of the conditions like back pain, neck pain, etc by applying pressure to different parts of the body known as acupressure points. Acupressure is safe and gentle.
Acupressure points are places on the skin that are especially sensitive to bio-electrical impulses in the body. Stimulating these points with pressure, needles, or heat triggers the release of endorphins that relieve pain. Acupressure inhibits the pain signals that are transmitted to the brain preventing painful sensations from passing through the spinal cord to the brain. As a result, pain is blocked and the flow of blood and oxygen to the affected area is increased.
Besides relieving the pain, it helps to re-balance the body by dissolving stress and tensions that keep it from functioning smoothly and that inhibit the immune system. Acupressure builds body's resistance to illness.
Benefits of Acupressure:
- Helpful in alleviating pinched nerves that contribute to pain.
- Eliminates and/or reduces pain.
- Drug-free substitute to pain management / relief.
- Great muscle relaxer.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Releases endorphins – the body's natural analgesic.
- Can be used in collaboration with other alternative therapies.
- Effective in promoting wellness, and boosting the immune system.
- Acupressure for back pain when applied to various points on the body, performs the role of stimulating coordinating organs and muscles to minimize and even eliminate the pain, and further facilitates the release of chi to return the body to a state of balance.
Acupressure for Back Pain:
Vast majority of people across the world suffer from back pain or have suffered from back pain at some point. There are many reasons for back pain, from posture to structural problems of the spine. Acupressure can very well be the option that can help relieve and manage the sufferings arising out of back pain.
Research studies published in the British Medical Journal confirm the successful application of acupressure for back pain. Studies indicated after 6 acupressure treatments, participants revealed both an immediate and long lasting improvement of their condition.
Another study at the National Taiwan University for the management of chronic back pain concluded that acupressure was effective in reducing back pain in terms of disability, pain scores, and functional status. Benefits of acupressure were seen for a period of 6 months.
What is also encouraging about 'Acupressure for Back Pain' is that WHO approves acupressure as an effective option treatment for pain relief.