Someone has rightly said; “Art is you being free from all of the World’s heaviness.” Art is one of the best ways to express one’s feeling, emotion and experiences to the world that cares for you. We know children are naturally born artists and creators. Children Art therapy is a kind of innovative therapy that can provide kids with an easier way to express themselves in the most artistic and creative manner. More about the Children art therapy can be known from the following sections of the article.
Children Art Therapy: How Art Therapy Can Help Children in Facing Mental and Emotional Challenges?
There is a saying; “Art has the power to make us think outside the box, question things and to inspire.”
Art therapy is actually the psychological use of art media and the creative process, facilitated by an art therapist so as to aid foster self expression, creating coping skill and strengthening sense of self. Children art therapy has been a very recent development in the field of mental and emotional health treatment of kids. Here, using the artistic process, children are made to explore different mental and emotional challenges they face in their life.
Young children are able to express well with crayons or colors than with words. Most young kids learn and enjoy being with colors and art than with literature or words. So children art therapy can be an easier and much more viable solution for communication than having just conversation and talking about things. Such a therapy can help children face emotional, behavioural and mental problems in various ways.
This is especially true when it comes to children and traumatic events. If a young child experienced something real tragic in his or her life, that event usually buries in the subconscious mind where it may affect the child in future. Such events are not easy for kids or young children to talk about, especially when there are deep-rooted issues in play. Children art therapy can help in bringing out such suppressed emotions to the surface so that the art therapist working for the child’s mental and emotional healing can focus on the issue and work accordingly.
Children Art Therapy can help children facing various other mental and emotional challenges including the following:
- It Can Help Child in Expressing Grief/Loss. As mentioned earlier, children art therapy can help the young children to talk about the death of a known ones’ and express their suppressed emotion.
- Children Art Therapy benefits the Kids with learning disabilities and with other mental disorders
- Children who meet with sexual or physical abuse can easily express their problems via children art therapy. As we know, young children communicate more via art than through words or language.
- Children art therapy is one of the therapies which can not only help in facing various emotional and mental challenges but also help in improving their cognitive abilities
So, it can be said that children art therapy can help the little ones in become more self aware, relieve more of the anxiety and stress and help them communicate well about their suppressed emotions. Through art therapy, children receive treatment that is based on their own existing strengths, weaknesses, interests and concerns. This way the treatment becomes easier for the therapist. It can help children of all ages. So, if you feel any of your known little ones’ is suffering from any mental or emotional challenges, it would be right to talk to a children art therapist and provide the child with the best treatment in an artistic way.
- Art Therapy or Activity Therapy: Uses, Benefits
- Music Therapy for ADHD
- Benefits of Dance Movement Therapy for Autism
- Understanding Drama Therapy, Its Aim, Techniques and Benefits!
- Dance Movement Therapy for Cancer Patients