Toenail fungus is a fungal infection that happens in toenails or fingernails. It may make your toenail discoloured, distorted, thickened and brittle.
Can Lemons Cure Toenail Fungus?
Some natural, self-care measures can help you keep your toenail fungus in check; that too, without any side effects. They are worth giving a try.
- Lemon has antiseptic and antifungal properties.
- Lemon contains citric acid, the content that may help in stopping toenail fungus from growing and spreading
- Lemon can be used by applying lemon juice directly on the toenail that is infected
- It is kept for half an hour and then washed off with hot water
- This can be repeated a number of times a day
- One more method is by mixing lemon juice and olive oil in equal amounts and using it to apply on the infected area.
- Olive oil will help in softening the hard, thickened toenail and the area around and lemon juice will act as an antifungal
Can Apple Cider Vinegar Cure Toenail Fungus?
- Apple cider vinegar is mildly acidic in nature
- It is also an antibacterial and an antifungal
- It can be used topically as well as orally for its numerous benefits
- It can be used as a foot soak for a number of foot problems
- Adding half a cup of apple cider vinegar to a litre of water can make a wonderful foot soak, that can give you relief from a number of foot conditions. For moderate to severe conditions, the soak can be prepared in a 1:1 ratio. (2)
- Immersing your feet in this foot soak for at least a half hour and twice a day can help you in getting relief from toenail fungus
- Apple cider vinegar can also be taken orally for its benefits
- Mixing 2 table spoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water and having early in the morning everyday can provide you with numerous health benefits
A thing to remember however, apple cider vinegar may cause staining of teeth. Hence, rinsing your mouth thoroughly with water after consuming apple cider vinegar is advisable (1)
A few other home remedies for getting relief from toenail fungus are given below-
- Any kind of tea contains tannic acid
- Tannic acid may not affect the fungus directly, but it helps in drying out your sweaty feet and keeps foot odours at bay
- Adding 4-5 tea bags to a litre of hot water, cooling the water to a desirable temperature and soaking feet in this tea soak for half an hour can help in getting rid of sweaty feet and odour, thereby getting relief from toenail fungus (1)
Tea Tree Oil-
- This is different from the traditional tea plant that is used for consumption
- Tea tree oil has strong antiseptic and antifungal properties, thereby making it an effective remedy for toenail fungus
- For application, clean the infected nail and nearby area with rubbing alcohol. Mix tea tree oil with a carrier oil like olive oil and apply to the infected area
- Let it soak for some time. Then, gently scrub with a soft brush or toothbrush (1)
- Neem oil has many miraculous benefits described in Ayurveda.
- Neem is a wonder herb that is used in many skin conditions in different ways in traditional Ayurveda medicine. Neem oil is one such remedy that works wonders for toenail fungus
- Neem acts as an antimicrobial. Hence, it has good remedial effects on fungus as well
- For application, clean the infected toenail and the nearby area. Apply neem oil directly to the infected toe by soaking a cotton ball in neem oil. Let it soak in for some time. (1)
Fungal infections can be persistent at times. However, simple home remedies like lemon and apple cider vinegar, along with other remedies can work wonders in healing toenail fungus. (1)
- What Is The Best Home Remedy For Toenail Fungus?
- What Is The Most Effective Treatment For Toenail Fungus?
- What To Eat & Avoid For Toenail Fungus?
- How Do You Stop Toenail Fungus From Coming Back?
- What Is The Prognosis For Toenail Fungus?
- Can I Wear Nail Polish If I Have Toenail Fungus?
- How To Cope With Toenail Fungus & How To Prevent It?