Tobacco cigarettes are known to be harmful and are linked with increased risk of coronary artery disease, lung disease, cancer and stroke. With an increasing knowledge of this fact, many people have now started smoking herbal cigarettes which are also known as tobacco-free cigarettes. Herbal cigarettes seem to be a healthier option as they contain several natural herbs and it is worth knowing the benefits of smoking herbal cigarettes. However, it is also important to know that even though it does not contain nicotine there are certain herbal cigarette health risks which not everyone knows about.
Health Risks of Herbal Cigarettes
Here are some of major health risks of herbal cigarettes which make it almost as dangerous as the tobacco ones.
- Allergic Reactions – One of the commonest health risks of herbal cigarette is the possibility of severe allergic reactions. These reactions are caused due to the presence of some specific herbs which are the main ingredients in the herbal cigarettes. Allergic reactions from herbal cigarette can develop gradually while in others it can occur all of a sudden and become severe in nature. The reaction may start with a small rash and end up poisoning the individual. Cases have revealed that some allergic reactions were so severe that emergency medical care was required.
- Poisoning with Carbon Monoxide – Another common herbal cigarette health risk is that it leads to carbon monoxide poisoning which proves fatal in most of the cases. As the gas starts to collect in the body it results in nerve damage, paralysis, asphyxiation and even causes the patient to fall into coma. If a pregnant woman smokes herbal cigarettes, the fetus remains oxygen deprived and this can result in the death of the fetus in the womb itself.
- Development of Major Diseases – Just like tobacco cigarettes, the health risk of herbal cigarette too includes the increased risk of major diseases of the heart and lungs, including cancer. When you smoke an herbal cigarette, the smoke from it enters the lungs. The presence of harmful chemicals and tar in the smoke destroy the lung and heart tissues and cells at a very rapid rate. Moreover, as the tar starts to accumulate in these major organs, it starts to block them leading to fatal diseases associated with the heart and lungs. Studies also reveal that the ingredients used to make herbal cigarettes and the smoke inhaled can enhance the growth of cancer cells, thus increased chances of cancer is an important health risk of herbal cigarette.
Benefits of Smoking Herbal Cigarette
Though herbal cigarettes pose certain health risks, there are also some major benefits that it provides. This is why many people have started opting for it even after knowing about its health hazards.
- The major benefit of smoking herbal cigarette is that, as compared to tobacco cigarettes, herbal cigars are safer and healthier due to the presence of certain herbs in it.
- Though some of the herbs used to make herbal cigarette are quite dangerous for the human body, several other herbs in it promote good health in the long run. The ability to treat certain diseases with the help of herbs present in it, is an additional benefit of smoking herbal cigarette.
- Herbal cigarettes eliminate the addiction of tobacco and nicotine which is quite common in tobacco cigarette smokers. With no addiction to cigarettes, it becomes much easier to stop smoking herbal cigars completely in the future if one wishes to.
- Herbal cigars can calm and relax the mind as some of the herbs present in it have a soothing effect on the nerves. It has been proven that some benefits of smoking herbal cigarette every day include reduced stress and anxiety.
- Another great benefit of herbal cigarette is that it strengthens the body’s defense mechanism and improves the capacity to fight various kinds of diseases with ease. The presence of lemon grass in herbal cigarette helps to treat several infections in the respiratory tract while also providing relief from congestion and common cold.
- One of the major benefits of smoking herbal cigarette is that it helps to soothe sore throat and also improves the voice quality of the person who smokes it.
- Studies reveal that benefits of smoking herbal cigarette include improved digestive system. The presence of certain herbs makes the cigar quite healthy, which aid the body’s digestive system to function optimally and also prevent digestive disorders of many kinds.
- Since herbs such as cloves, chamomile flowers and rose petals are some of the ingredients used to make herbal cigarettes, it gives a pleasant smell as compared to tobacco cigarettes which leave a foul smell and bad breath in your mouth for hours.
Herbal cigarettes have their own set of health risks along with several benefits as compared to tobacco ones. However, it is important for you to know that cigarettes, both tobacco and herbal can prove dangerous to your health in the long run and are best avoided if you can give up smoking completely. If you are simply unable to give up tobacco cigarettes then herbal cigars are definitely a healthier option but it is also necessary to understand that along with benefits of smoking herbal cigar come the herbal cigarette health risks.
- Why Tobacco May Make Heartburn Worse
- What is Nicotine Dependence or Tobacco Dependence
- Herbal Medicine or Herbalism: It Uses Medicinal Abilities of Plants; History, Philosophy, Benefits
- Chinese Traditional Medicine for Fertility: How Chinese Herbs Boost Fertility?
- Herbal Remedies to Treat Tonsillitis
- Herbs that Can Help Cure Erectile Dysfunction
- What are Herbal Tinctures & What are its Benefits?|Herbal Tinctures Preparation