Heat Stroke or Sunstroke- An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure
"Finally, it is hot enough to complain about how hot it is!" Summer after the spring season is right here with enough reasons behind saying, "Gone are the days of ease; prepare self for the hardship!" It is very true that with the arrival of hot summer days there arrives a deadly threat; the threat of Heat stroke. Heat stroke is also commonly known as Sunstroke. Heat stroke is actually a serious condition requiring immediate medical help when the body temperature increases melodramatically high and the body loses its control to cool down, causing severe damages including adverse effect of brain and various other visceral organs and also might lead to death. Sun stroke is actually caused when our body is over exposed to the hazardous summer heat. This is the reason why most people prefer staying at home during hard summer afternoons, being protected against the excessive summer heat exposure and keeping safe from this serious form of heat injury or hyperthermia.
Well as the saying goes, "There is always a way to come out of the ditch if there is a way to get into it. But it is always better to have your safe concerns about keeping safe from getting in!" Now same thing implies in fighting against the deadly Sunstroke. This current article will let you know about some of the safety precautions and the essential first aid treatments for heat stroke which would surely help you out in keeping self safe from the danger of this hazardous effect of overexposure to summer heat.
An Overview on Heat Stroke or Sunstroke:
Heat stroke or Sunstroke is commonly seen during summer days when our body gets over heat exposure or the body temperature raises extremely high due to outside heat and when it gets encountered with a condition of heat injury or hyperthermia, which causes severe fatal effects on the body and body fails to cool down of its own. Heat stroke is also sometimes known with the terms like Seriasis and Thermic fever. Any age group people can meet with this danger during summer times; however the elderly, the infants and the athletic people are more likely to face Sunstroke and its adverse symptoms. It is always recommended to keep self prevented from this deadly hazard of summer heat and also know well about its effective and immediate treatments. Check out the following array of the article to find out what we have in the list of the safety precautions and treatments for heat stroke.
Common Symptoms of Heat Stroke or Sunstroke:
You know you are entrapped with the danger of sunstroke when you have the following symptoms.
- Extremely high body temperature causing fatal impact on the brain, visceral organs and also death sometimes. Increased temperature to about 40 degree Celsius.
Skin gets dry, hot and red.
- Dehydration and excessive fluid loss; causing low BP
- Acute difficulty breathing and grows with fast pulses, resulting in circulatory failure
- Severe headache, loss of concentration, confusion state and fainting.
Safety Precautions For Heat Stroke or Sunstroke:
Benjamin Franklin has greatly said, "An Ounce of prevention is worth a Pound of cure!" It is always better to have preventive measures known for every ill condition. Now coming to safety precautions for heat stroke; here we are with the following list
- One of the finest precaution is keeping yourself safe from the outside sun and try avoiding moving out of home during hard summer day times
- Take plenty of water which keeps you hydrated and prevent from dehydration caused due to excessive heat.
- Try avoiding coffee and alcohol. This will keep you prevented from extreme fluid loss.
- Light colored clothes and loose fitting dresses help you reflect the harsh sunlight and keep you safe from getting entrapped with the sick hold of sunstroke.
- Avoid being into much physical acts like exercise, sporting etc. during summer days outside.
- Do not keep self or others locked in a parked car during the heated days.
- You must take cold foods like fresh salads, fruits, drink cold drinks, juices etc.
- Keep sprinkling water over the face and the head in case you have to move out in heat.
First Aid Treatments For Heat Stroke or Sunstroke:
"Something which comes holds you first in danger is the first aid." It is always not possible to keep self safe from all dangers. However it is always possible to keep first aids known to you. So here are some of the first aid treatments which are crucial enough to be known by every person so as to keep the victim safe from severe effects of heat stroke. Make sure you are taking a note on these emergency treatments; as there is a saying, "something which is worth saving life is a note worth saving!"
- Take out the person from the exposure of blazing sun immediately, keep him calm and make him cool by putting cold water on him. Keep his surrounding environment cool and airy.
- Apply ice packs in the areas of neck, shoulder etc; which are rich in blood vessels near the skin and require cooling with the appearance of Thermic fever or heat stroke
- Keep a note: DO NOT GIVE ANY DRINK TO A VICTIM OF SUNSTROKE. This is extremely fatal.
- In case of harsh conditions or severe sunstrokes; take the victim immediately to the nearby hospital or call emergency medical help.