There are many forms of dancing and dance has always been a part of human culture, rituals, and celebrations. It is the most enjoyable way to be more physically active and fit. This article discusses about how dancing promotes good health.
How Does Dancing Promote Good Health?
Whiel there are various forms of exercises, dance is sometimes just thought as a way of enjoyment. However, dancing does much more to your body and mind. There are many ways in which dancing promotes good health by improving your physical as well as emotional wellbeing. Let us look at how does dancing promote good health. Dancing can be a medium of staying fit for people of all ages, shapes, and sizes. It has various physical and mental benefits to the body.
Here are some of the most effective health benefits of dancing.
Dancing is considered as a very good exercises for the seniors. It shows positive effects on physical health thus ensuring healthy aging. Studies have shown that any dance form can help in improving the functional aspects in seniors, particularly due to improved balance.1
Most dance forms require you to move your body swiftly and energetically. This gives a good aerobic exercise as it pumps your heart rate and improves blood flow to the heart. Apart from improving your cardiac health, this form of aerobic exercises also helps you lose weight and stay fit. Indulging in regular dancing helps to maintain or lose weight in a healthy way while also improving your health.
When performing dance steps various muscles of the body are used. This helps to improve flexibility of the body and also helps strengthen the muscles. Regular dance practice improves bone and muscle health, particularly of the spine and the limbs. This helps improve the muscle tone posture, which prevents pain and injury. If muscles are weak or not toned properly, you tend to slouch as the muscles get fatigued easily. But as dancing improves muscle tone and strength, it maintain healthy posture and protects your spine.
Balance and Coordination
Dancing improves balance and coordination. Keeping up with balance is required while dancing to make sure you do not lose steps while twisting and turning. Also, group dancing relies mostly on the coordination between the dancers.
Improves Muscle Health
Dancing, tones up the muscle of the legs, abdomen, and glutes. Hand movements also work on the upper body and strengthen the arms and shoulders. The muscle tone and flexibility increase with dancing, which reflects in your improved overall muscle performance.
These are some of the well-known ways in which dancing promotes good health. Some studies have shown great results of partnered dancing in overall fitness, cognitive and social functioning, better mood and improved self-confidence.2
How To Get Started With Dancing?
You can start dancing by choosing a group, a dance partner, or you can even do it on your own. Choosing groups will help you meet more people and would create your interest in it.
Choose from the type you would enjoy doing the most, only then you would be regular with it. Dancing forms are of various types i.e. ballet, hip-hop, belly dancing, ballroom dancing, pole dancing, salsa, or tap dancing.
Also, you can choose the dance form according to the activity you are looking for. Ask yourself would you want to dance to improve fitness or flexibility. Do you want a slow or a fast dance form? Would you like to dance for completion or just for fun?
- If you are thinking of starting off with some dancing lessons make sure you have a look at these suggestions.
- You must be medically fit. For any specific health concerns, it is better to seek medical advice before you begin with dance.
- You should wear layers of clothing that you can take off as the body warms up.
- You must do some warm-up before beginning a dance session.
- You should drink plenty of water, before and during dancing.
- Sit and watch the dance moves first, as the new moves increase the risk of injury.
- Wear professional and fitted shoes, appropriate for the dance style.
- Do not push yourself too far if you are just a beginner
- Take rest between the dance sessions
- Cool down after a dance session
- Healthy Seeds to Eat: 10 Seeds to Include in the Diet For Good Health
- How Much Sleep is Actually Needed for Good Health & Ways to Get Required Sleep for Good Health?