Hair is perhaps one of the most important things for a good appearance. A good quality, thick hair enhances ones look to a great extent. Hair grows almost continuously throughout lifetime. However, some individuals experience problems in hair growth like slow growth of hair, baldness etc. Interestingly, by following some regular hair care regime, one can induce faster hair growth. Let us see how fast hair grows or the normal time a hair takes to grow, some natural remedies and lifestyle changes required to grow hair faster.
How Fast Does Hair Grow?
The speed of hair growth is around 0.5 inches or 1.25 centimeters per month and about 15 centimeters or 6 inches per year. The speed of hair growth may slow down to as little as 0.25 centimeters per month with age.
Cell division is the reason behind the growth of hair. The new cells formed push the hair forward to make it longer. The hair in normal healthy conditions may last for up to six years. During the entire lifespan of a hair, it goes through three phases of growth: the anagen, the catagen and the telogen.
- The first phase anagen involves growing of new hair in the hair bulb.
- The next phase is catagen when hair stops growing because cell division has stopped.
- The final phase being telogen, wherein the old hair falls out and the new hair starts growing in the papilla.
Hair grows at the same speed all over the head and there is no perceptible difference between the fringe and crown. Most people lose about 100 hairs per day, in normal conditions. New hairs replace the fallen hairs. Failure to grow new hairs can lead to baldness.
Does Hair Growth Vary in Different Races and Seasons?
The majority of studies conducted to measure the rate of hair growth did not consider the ethnic race of the participants. For instance, it is known that African and Asian hair differs from Caucasian hair in many ways like angle and density, etc. of hair growth.
A study also found difference with respect to their rate of hair growth among the races.
- African hair grows the slowest, while Asian hair grows the fastest.
- The average rate of hair growth of Asian female participants was approximately 6 inches every year.
- The hair of African female participants grew by 4 inches per year.
- Caucasian female participants’ hair grew around 5 inches or 13 centimeters per year.
- The hair growth rate of male participants did not differ significantly as in the case for women.
Researchers hold the view that growth rate of hair depends on some other factors such as it grows fast in summer due to changes in eating habits, change in hormone secretion and increased UV radiation exposure.
Ways to Grow Hair Faster
Natural Remedies That Help Grow Hair Faster
- Onion Juice Helps Grow Hair Faster: Onion juice is one of the most effective and oldest home remedy. It contains sulphur that boosts production of collagen in the tissues and promotes growth of hair. Do not worry about the smell because it goes off after one wash.
- Faster Hair Growth with Coconut Milk: Coconut milk is rich in potassium, iron, and many essential fats which is essential for hair growth. Take the juice of half a lemon and 4 drops of essential lavender oil to coconut milk from a fresh coconut. Then apply it on your scalp and wash it after 4-5 hours.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar gently cleans the scalp and maintains the pH balance of hair. Add 15 milliliter of apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water and after washing your hair use it as a final rinse. This will boost hair growth and give your hair an added shine.
- Egg Mask Can Help Hair Grow Faster: Egg Mask is used for quick and natural hair growth. The high protein levels in eggs helps in the growth of new hair. For preparing egg mask, separate one egg white in a bowl and add one teaspoon of honey and olive oil. Apply it on your hair and scalp and wash it off with shampoo after 20 minutes.
- Fenugreek Paste: The herb Fenugreek is an old remedy for hair growth problems. It contains proteins and nicotinic acid which encourages faster hair growth. Take a tablespoon of this herb and grind it with water to make a smooth paste. Add a little milk or coconut oil to it. Apply it on your hair and scalp for half an hour. It also preserves the natural hair color.
- Faster Hair Growth with Green Tea: Green tea is rich in antioxidants that help the hair to grow faster and preventing hair loss. Apply warm green tea over your scalp and keep it for an hour and wash.
- Indian Gooseberry: Indian Gooseberry or amla is a store house of nutrients and plays an important role in growing your hair faster. It is rich in Vitamin C that boosts hair growth. Mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder with equal parts of lime juice and apply it on the head and hair. Wash it off with lukewarm water. It also prevents hair pigmentation.
- Usage of Castor Oil: Castor oil which is rich in vitamin E and fatty acids promotes hair growth naturally. This oil is viscous so mix it with coconut, olive or almond oil. Massage your scalp with this mixture and wash it off after 30 to 45 minutes with shampoo. You may also add essential oils such as rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender to the castor oil and then apply it on your hair. Massaging your hair improves flow of blood in the scalp. It stimulates the hair follicles and aids in faster hair growth. Apply hot oil on your hair once a week or conditioner.
One can choose any of the natural remedies and do it at least once a week to get faster hair growth. Along with these, food and regular exercise is also very important to promote hair growth.
Tips for Faster Hair Growth
- Eat a healthy diet which is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. All these are essential for healthy hair growth. Vitamin B-complex is important for faster hair growth.
- Eat foods like milk, cheese, chicken, eggs, whole grains, spinach, cabbage, grapefruit, brown bread, and oats. Drink juices of fresh fruit and vegetable such as orange and carrot. Fish, walnuts, beans, olive oil and other foods rich in fatty acids are also good for hair growth.
- One of the popular tricks to grow hair faster is to flip your hair upside down. Flipping your head over for 2 – 4 minutes every day works by improving blood circulation.
- Stress is one of the major factors that lead to hair loss. Stress disrupts the normal hair cycle and forces hairs to enter the telogen phase. So remain stress free for faster growth of hair. You can use meditation, breathing exercises or other relaxation techniques to reduce stress. Also remember to get a good sleep since the growth hormone is secreted during sleep.
- Trim your hair regularly. Haircuts do not let your hair grow faster but they help to get rid of split ends which break your hair from the middle.
- Spread the natural oil of your hair. Brush your hair with a boar bristle brush which helps in distributing your scalp’s oils onto your hair evenly keeping it naturally moisturized. This must be done each night to increase blood circulation, which makes your scalp healthy.
- Hair is like a tree. The soil and roots must be taken care of to make the tree tall and strong. Similarly hair needs a healthy scalp for growth. Keep your scalp clean and treat it with healthy ingredients for strong and beautiful hair.
- Reduce treating your hair with heat styling tools or hair colors. It is the main cause for ruining hair. Using such tools for over styling your hair ultimately leads to hair damage.
- Do not use shampoo every day. Shampooing your hair 2-3 times a week is all right. This gives time to your natural oils to penetrate your hair and thus allowing it to stay hydrated and repair itself. However, too much buildup of this oil can lead to itching and dandruff.
- If your diet is devoid of essential nutrients, a supplement can make a huge difference. Search for a multi vitamin supplements labeled as ‘for Hair, Skin, and Nails’. This contains important vitamins like biotin, vitamin B and C. All these maintain good health of hair.
- Have a cool rinse at the end of your shower. A highly steamy shower is bad for your skin and also for your hair. Rinse with cold water to allow the cuticle to seal and strengthen your hair.
- Diet companies may tell you that a “cleanse” will change your whole life. However, Cleansing could be harmful for your hair because your body gets deprived of essential nutrients in the process.
- Use a silk pillow case if possible. Silk is softer on hair as it helps to avoid tangles and breakage and thus helps to have better hair during your sleep.
All these healthy habits are necessary for healthy hair growth along with the home remedies mentioned above. These helps in promoting the health of the hair and in turn increase hair growth.
- Demi-Permanent vs. Semi-Permanent Hair Color: Differences Worth Knowing
- How long does hair dye allergy last and how to avoid getting allergy to hair dye
- Causes & Home Remedies for Sudden Growth of Grey Hair or Premature Grey Hair
- Can Working Out Cause Hair Loss?