Health Benefits of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds & its Side Effects
What is Methi or Fenugreek Seeds?
Methi or Fenugreek seeds are native of Asia and southern Europe. It is an annual herb which has white colour flowers and yellowish brown seeds. The seeds and leaves have a strong aroma and a nice flavour. The leaves of Methi or Fenugreek seeds are green in colour and are used in many vegetables.
The seed is known by different names in different parts of the country. India is the largest producer of Methi or Fenugreek seeds in the world. Although small in size, the seed has unlimited benefits. From many years it has been used as a natural medicine and remedy for many health related problems. The Methi or Fenugreek seeds contain vitamins like folic acid, vitamin A, B, C. The leaves and seeds are usually used; however, it is also available as roasted and grinded powder of the seeds as well as sun-dried leaves known as kasuri methi.
The fenugreek seeds are very small seeds which are produced in large amount in India. It belongs to the family of fabaceae. It is a very common Indian spice which is used widely in many dishes to bring about an aroma and make the dish tasty. The seeds have a bitter taste but can become less bitter if they are roasted.
Health Benefits of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds
Methi or Fenugreek seeds constitute a good amount of fibres and saponins due to which it has infinite health benefits. Some of its major health benefits of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds are:
- Methi or Fenugreek Seeds is Beneficial in Reducing Cholesterol: Saponins present in the seed reduces the absorption of cholesterol from foods containing fat. It also reduces extra production of cholesterol in the body.
- Methi or Fenugreek Seeds is Beneficial in Preventing Diabetes: Some amino acid that is found in the Methi seed has anti-diabetic properties. They increase the insulin sensitivity in the body.
- Protects from Cancer: Fibres present in Methi of Fenugreek Seeds help from cancer. The saponins bind to the toxins present in the food and remove them from the food.
- Methi or Fenugreek Seeds is Beneficial in Maintaining Testosterone Levels: The seed helps in maintaining the normal testosterone levels in the body.
- Methi or Fenugreek Seeds Helps Maintain Body Weight: By modulating the metabolism of carbohydrate, it acts as a weight loser. Methi or Fenugreek seeds suppress the appetite and increase the energy.
- Improve Digestion: Fenugreek seed solves the problem of constipation and indigestion, leading to proper digestion in the body.
- Cures Acidity: The presence of mucilage in Methi or Fenugreek Seeds helps in curing the acidity problems.
- Relieves Throat Problems: Taking methi powder or fenugreek seed powder with honey and lemon provides relief from cough and other throat problems.
- Prevents Colon Cancer: The presence of saponins and mucilage in fenugreek seeds is beneficial in removing the toxins present in the body and thus prevents colon membranes from the cancer.
- Reduces Heart Diseases: As Methi or Fenugreek seeds help control the level of cholesterol in the body, thus it prevents the cardiovascular diseases from occurring. The seeds prevent the disease atherosclerosis that is the major reason of heart attacks.
- Maintains Blood Pressure: Seeds of Methi or Fenugreek contains potassium in rich quantity. It helps in controlling the level of heart rate and also controls the level of blood pressure in the body by nullifying the effects of sodium.
- Rich Vitamin Source: Due to the composition of high amount of vitamins, the seed of methi or fenugreek is helpful in reducing the deficiency of vitamins in the body. Thus it helps in curing the problem of diseases like mouth ulcers, beriberi, bronchitis, baldness, tuberculosis etc.
- Good Source of Phytochemicals: Due to high presence of phytochemicals, the seed of methi or fenugreek has efficient medicinal properties. Some of the phytochemicals present in it are neotigogens, diosgenin, and tigogenin.
- Benefits of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds in Increasing Memory Power: Chlorine and carotene present in fenugreek seed helps to cure the problem of memory loss and early ageing. It also saves the body from Alzheimer.
- Treats Roundworms Problem: Methi or Fenugreek Seeds efficiently works against roundworms. It has some insecticides which help in keeping away this harmful insect.
- Treats Sexual Problems: The seeds of Methi or Fenugreek is beneficial for many problems like hernia, sexual dysfunction and other related problems.
- Relieves Menstrual Cramps: Compounds like diosgenin present in metho or fenugreek acts as estrogen and provide health benefits to women. These compounds help in getting relief from menstrual cramps.
- Reduces Delivery Pain: The seed helps in easy child birth as it helps in uterine expansion and contraction
- Fulfils Iron Deficiency: Regular use of methi or fenugreek seeds helps in maintaining the normal diet and fulfils the deficiency of iron in the body.
- Controls Sugar Level: Presence of galactomannan helps in controlling blood sugar level, thus saving the body from diabetes. It controls the production of insulin in the body.
- Reduces High Level Of Triglycerides: Methi reduces the content of triglycerides in the body, which ultimately reduces the fat of the body.
- Treats Skin Problems: The seeds of Methi or Fenugreek helps in treating skin problems like scars and burns etc. It helps in providing shiny skin which glows brightly. It also treats other skin problems like swelling, muscle pain, ulcers etc.
Some other important benefits and uses of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds are:
- Due to the presence of vitamin E, the seed of metho or fenugreek is used in pickles as a preservative.
- The leaves of methi or fenugreek are used as a flavour in meat, fish and other dishes.
- Methi seeds or fenugreek seeds is also used as a cure for fever, if used in tea.
- Using paste made from fresh leaves of Methi or Fenugreek regularly improves the hair condition, increases growth of hair and reduces the problem of dandruff.
Side Effects of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds
Although there are many health benefits of Methi or Fenugreek seed, but everything is safe only within the limits. High amount of seeds can have side-effects. Some of the side effects of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds are:
- High amount of Methi seeds or Fenugreek Seeds can cause the problem of pain in stomach and it may lead to diarrhea as well.
- It can create odour in the urine.
- Excessive consumption of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds may cause blocking of nasal, cough and other allergies.
- Sometimes the seed can be hazardous for children and may result in unconsciousness.
- It may sometimes result in internal gastrointestinal bleeding which can lead to vomiting.
Precautions while taking Methi or Fenugreek Seeds
Methi or fenugreek seeds must be taken in a proper order. The seed must be prohibited for people who are taking medicines to slow blood clotting rate.
Several researches have proved the efficacy of this spice for treating various health conditions. Since centuries, Methi or fenugreek seeds are consumed by pregnant women for natural secretion of estrogen in the body and nursing mothers to help produce more breast milk. The health benefits are varied and thus a moderate amount of intake of this amazing spice is the best way to stay fit and healthy.
- 9 Seeds That You Should Be Eating, Know their Nutritional Value & Health Benefits
- Health Benefits of Jackfruit and Jackfruit Seeds
- 7 Health Benefits of Grape Seeds, its Side Effects & Safety Precautions
- Health Benefits of Kalonji Seeds or Nigella Seeds & Side Effects
- Poppy Seeds Benefits for Hair, Skin, Sleep and Others
- Health Benefits of Moringa Seeds & Ways to Use it
- Can Eating Tomatoes or its Seeds Cause Kidney Stones?
- Healthy Seeds to Eat: 10 Seeds to Include in the Diet For Good Health
- 17 Amazing Health Benefits of Black Seeds or Nigella Sativa