What is Shungite?
Shungite is a black stone that consists of 99 percent carbon(1). The stone is known for its unique composition. It contains fullerenes that mean 3-D spherical molecules made of 60 carbon atoms. It consists of all the minerals in the periodic table. Shungite stone is capable of protecting and healing simultaneously.
Shungite is known as a crystalline form of carbon and powerhouse antioxidant that has the capability of neutralizing free radicles.
There are a few theories that depict the origin of shungite stone:
- A large meteorite collided earth and deposited shungite into the ground
- Shungite is formed due to the microorganism present in the nearby water
- The composition of sedimentary rocks change overtime to form shungite
Benefits of Shungite
Many benefits of shungite are anecdotal and need solid research to prove them.
Kills Bacteria And Virus
Shungite consists of carbon nanostructures (CNS) that are different forms of carbon.
A study found that CNSs can destroy harmful pathogens(2). It works by damaging the cell walls of bacteria and viruses. As the CNSs interact with microbes, the microbes lose electrons and die.
More studies are required to be done to understand how the fullerenes in shungite can affect pathogens specifically.
Shungite since ancient times has been used to purify water. This property can be due to its activity against bacteria and viruses.
Reduces Oxidative Stress
An animal study shows the antioxidant properties of shungite(5).
In a study, the mice were exposed to ultraviolet B radiations for 2 days, which caused oxidative stress on the skin. Shungite solution was applied to the damaged skin of mice, which reduced the production of reactive oxygen species and increase the activity of the antioxidant enzyme. The results were promising.
The study has been done on mice and additional research is needed to look for the effect of this stone on humans.
Shungite is known to reduce inflammation. Low levels of inflammatory markers including cytokines and proteins involved in inflammation were found in research.
Because of this, it is speculated that shungite can be helpful in reducing inflammation.
Eases Physical Ailments
Numerous physical ailments can be eased with water infused with shungite. The ailments include:
- Kidney problems
- Sore throat
- Autoimmune disease
- Pancreatic dysfunction
- Gallbladder issues
- Liver problems
- Gastric issues
It is believed due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, shungite can help in the above conditions.
Shields Electromagnetic Field Emission (EMF)
Shungite can shield you from electromagnetic field emission.
A study done on rats reported that shungite protected them against electromagnetic radiation(6).
How is Shungite Used?
There are several ways in which shungite can be used, that include:
- Infusing Shungite In Water: Shungite is used for purifying water. For this, the stone can be placed in water for 2-3 days.
- Wear it as Jewelry: This stone can also be worn as beads or pendant
- Carried In The Bag: Shungite can be kept in a bag, when on the go. This can help you benefit from its healing properties. It can also be placed in the pocket.
- Place Near EMF Sources: Shungite stone can be placed near electronic devices, microwaves, and a Wi-Fi router. It shields you from EMF.
- Meditate with the Stone: You can keep the stone near you or on your body while meditating.
Shungite is a carbon-rich stone that is capable of reducing inflammation and protect you from electromagnetic field emission. It is also known to purify water and reduce stress.
The benefits of shungite lack research on humans.
Shungite can be bought from natural health stores, jewelry stores, and also online. Make sure you purchase the stone from a certified store.