Sore Throat and Ear Pain: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, 6 Home Remedies
About Sore Throat and Ear Pain
Ears and nose are two of the important sense organs of the human body. It may be interesting to note that ears, nose, and throat have a connection between them which links all the three to one another. Infection or an allergy affecting any one of these three structures results in discomfort in all the three. The middle ear and the throat are connected by a narrow tube known as Eustachian tube. Sore throat almost always blocks this tube, which is a result of swelling of the tube, and this in turn results in increased pressure in the ear causing ear pain.
However, in some cases patients also experience one-sided sore throat and ear pain. This happens when the infection affects only one side of the throat. In such cases the pain only affects on one side leaving the other side pain free.
What Can Cause Sore Throat and Ear Pain Simultaneously?
Sore throat is a condition which is caused when pharynx, larynx, and tonsils of the throat become inflamed. A common sore throat usually lasts for more than three days. Sore throat is commonly caused by microbial infections, which can be treated by taking over-the-counter medications.
In some cases of throat infection, the mucus is stuffed in sinus cavities and this can result in ear pain. Being interlinked with one another, all of these organs go through the process of exchanging the fluids among themselves. This interrelation of the organs and exchange of fluids certainly, puts them at the risk of exchange of infections too. This means infection in any one of the organ also infects the remaining two organs. This exchange of infection between the organs results in sore throat and ear pain.
Sore throat and ear pain is usually caused due to an infection resulting from an inflammation caused in the inner ear, outer ear, or middle ear. This inflammation not only results in stretching the eardrum, but also forces it to swell, which may also affect the hearing ability. However, in some cases patients may also experience chronic sore throat and ear pain for prolonged period due to allergies caused because of weak immune system.
Exposure to smoke or smoking, consuming excessive alcohol, consuming very hot or cold food, allergies, swollen glands, microbial infections, pollution, hay fever, sinus infections, tonsillitis, ear infections, cough, cold and flu, uvula infection, tooth infection and overuse of vocal cords are also the conditions that may cause sore throat and ear pain.
What Are The Symptoms of Sore Throat and Ear Pain?
Feeling difficulty while swallowing, swollen glands and lymph nodes, fever, pus and rash on the tonsils, stiffness in the back and neck, prolonged mouth ulcers, blood tinged saliva, blood tinged phlegm are few of the symptoms of sore throat and ear pain.
Treatment for Sore Throat and Ear Pain
Changing the tooth brush can be helpful in getting rid of sore throat and ear pain and reduces the chances of transmitting the infection back into the throat through the tooth brush.
- Saline Nasal Spray for Sore Throat and Ear Pain: Saline nasal spray can also be used in case of dry throat and nose as saline nasal spray helps in keeping the mucus membrane in moist condition.
- Pain Killers: Temporary use of painkillers such as ibuprofen or paracetamol can also help in relieving the symptoms of sore throat and ear pain.
- Antibiotics to Treat Sore Throat and Ear Pain: Taking antibiotics for sore throat can be very helpful, especially if one is suffering from strep throat.
6 Best Home Remedies for Sore Throat and Ear Pain
Given Below Are Few of The Home Remedies That Can Be Helpful In Treating Sore Throat and Ear Pain.
- Heat for Sore Throat and Ear Pain: Application of a heated piece of cloth on the affected ear can help in relieving the ear pain for some period of time. Care should be taken not to heat the cloth excessively to avoid any burn injuries.
- Steam: Vapor bath or taking steam is an excellent home remedy to get rid of sore throat and ear pain. Steam taken for sore throat and pain in the ear usually helps to recover quickly.
- Hydration: Adequate amount of warm fluid intake such as warm turmeric milk and hot soup can be an effective home remedy for sore throat and ear pain as it not only helps in keeping the throat hydrated, but also eases the process of swallowing and talking. It is also better to avoid alcohol, smoking, and eating very hot or cold food during the healing period.
- Lozenges and Popsicles for Sore Throat and Ear Pain: Lozenges and popsicles are also helpful in keeping the throat in a moist condition.
- Salt Water Gargling: This is a well known home remedy to get rid of sore throat. Gargling with salt water repeatedly many times in a day can help in relieving the symptoms of sore throat.
- Herbs for Sore Throat and Ear Pain: Preparing tea from the mixture of basil leaves, turmeric, ginger, salt and cinnamon and consuming this warm preparation by adding one tea spoon of honey to it is also an effective home remedy for sore throat and ear pain. Consuming this preparation also helps in lessening fever. Apart from this, ginger extracts when consumed with honey can also be helpful in getting rid of sore throat.