“Beneath the mask, there is another story!” Masks are something that covers the real story and gets in front something that are actually unreal. Same is the case of Masked Hypertension. This is a condition in human beings when the real blood pressure count is not visible in the doctor’s office or may be the blood pressure in the doctor’s cabin shows a lower digit than the real blood pressure that exist at home in real. There are reasons behind such masked shows in blood pressure, which may be due to the reduced level of stress at doctor’s place with the calm & quite environment than at home or may be due to any other reasons. Having a lower blood pressure at the doctor’s office under routine measuring equipments than the comparatively higher BP at home; is termed as Masked Hypertension. It is believed, “A masked friend is more dangerous than the real enemy!” Similarly, a patient with masked hypertension is more likely to suffer from severe strokes, which may also lead to death. The current article will revolve around with this kind of Masked Hypertension (MH), where we will be discussing on the points or the reasons behind the condition, also note on the proper patient management in case of masked hypertension and how to get the blood pressure normal during the Masked Hypertension (MH) state in a patient.
An Overview On Masked Hypertension (MH): Know The Mask Before You Uncover It!
Masked hypertension is also known as MH in short and is the clinical condition in a person where his blood pressure shows much lower in the doctor’s office under regular measuring clinical equipments than the actual measurements that is shown at home. Here patients may show a blood pressure count of 140/90 mm at the doctor’s place while it is at a much hypertensive state at home in real. This kind of masked level of high blood pressure is called as masked hypertension. There are a lot of reasons behind such a kind of masked show in the blood pressure, which are worth studying. Such kind of condition in a patient may lead to serious dangers like the severe strokes, causing the sudden death. All that can be done to prevent self in such a kind of masked hypertensive condition is measuring the blood pressure on self with the help of self checking blood pressure measuring equipment on a regular basis and going for a proper patient management so as to get the high blood pressure normal or under control.
Look for the following array of the article to know more about the Masked Hypertension.
Know The Difference Between Masked Hypertension (MH) And White Coat Hypertension:
There are two conditions in hypertension, where you do not get the exact blood pressure level or where the blood pressure is masked. There are conditions where your blood pressure is measured pretty lower at doctor’s cabin than the real blood pressure at home; which is termed as Masked Hypertension (MH). There are also conditions where the blood pressure at doctor’s office is found to me more than the blood pressure at home. Such a condition is termed as White-coat hypertension and is caused if there is a more of stress in the doctor’s place or may be due to any fault in home measurements.
Various Causes For The Masked Hypertension (MH): Reasons Behind The Growth Of Mask!
“There is always a reason behind the mask!” Now coming down to the reasons behind the masked hypertension or the causes that relates to the masked hypertensive conditions. Let us make a list on some of the important causes for Masked Hypertension (MH).
- Certain behavior factors in the people like the sedentary habits; may lead to masked hypertension.
- Masked tension is also related to the unhealthy lifestyle like the addictions of nicotine, alcohol, etc. can lead to masked hypertension.
- In case of women, use of excessive contraceptive pills influences the Masked Hypertension.
- Other disease conditions in people like other cardiovascular diseases, kidney diseases etc. may cause the masked hypertension in patients.
How To Identify The Patients With Masked Hypertension (MH): Unmask The Mask!
“Not everyone can identify the mask, not every process of identification works perfect. But there are certain tricks that help you unmask the real face beyond the mask!” There are some tools used for identifying the masked hypertensive conditions in patient. Out of these, there are two most important tools that help in proper diagnosis of Masked Hypertension (MH). ABPM or the Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and the HBP or Home blood pressure monitoring are the two crucial ways one can measure the actual blood pressure and know about the mask hypertensive state of blood pressure in a person.
It is always necessary to go for ABPM or Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and HBP Home blood pressure monitoring very often, in case you are with a risk of any other cardiovascular disease or in case you are obese or overweight. However, these diagnostic methods must also be performed in patients with diabetesd and kidney diseases or also in the patient who have the blood pressure issue. Both these blood pressure measuring methods are effective and have their own technical differences. However, in case of the treated Masked Hypertension (MH) patients, it has been found a home blood pressure monitoring is more effective than the Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.
Proper Patient Management In Masked Hypertension (MH): How To Keep The Blood Pressure In Control!
“It is not just about the identification, it is more about sustaining a real life even with the mask!” To help you manage the masked hypertension, all you need to know is how to have a proper patient management in masked hypertension and how to keep the blood pressure normal or under control. So check out the below section for understanding the proper patient management and follow the below mentioned steps for getting blood pressure to normal level in the Masked Hypertension (MH) conditions.
- It is always important to keep the home blood pressure measurements with you on a strict basis and go for the measurements of blood pressure on regular basis to make out the condition.
- “Diet always influences health greatly!” So, keep a note on what you consume every day, and make sure you are avoiding the foods that create increased blood pressure or leads to severe condition in a masked hypertensive state. In simple words, a proper diet is highly essential in managing the blood pressure at a normal state during Masked Hypertension (MH) conditions. Go for taking more of Vitamin C, Calcium, potassium, magnesium rich foods that are essential for Masked Hypertension (MH) patients. Fruits, vegetables, whole diet cereals, oat meal, whole-meal bread etc. are most recommended diets for patients suffering from Masked Hypertension. Diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, like the Salmon fish oil, are highly beneficial in hypertensive state.
It is also to be noted that there are also certain restrictions in Masked Hypertension (MH) state of a person where patient must avoid the processed or the fired foods, and also must keep away from more of salt, caffeine etc which may be harmful.
- “There is no better medicine than exercise.” It is advised to go for proper regular exercises and prefer yoga & meditation in case you are suffering from the masked hypertension. This helps you keep safe, healthy and fit for a better normal life.
- Pregnancy Induced Hypertension Or Gestational Hypertension: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention
- What is Hypertension Headache and Ways to Identify & Treat It?