What Causes Your Heart to Pound?
Heart pounding or heart palpitations are very troublesome and are a cause of concern for your overall good health and wellbeing. Palpitations mean your heart rate hits the higher limit and makes it tough for you to continue with your normal daily routine. Heart pounding causes many problems like fainting, chest pain, dizziness and huffing.
There can be many causes for your heart to pound (heart palpitations), but faulty lifestyle is considered a major factor in making you sick over time with palpitations. The cause of heart palpitations also includes high level of stress, which is one of the major reasons in today’s world for palpitations, deteriorating health and diseases.
So, what exactly causes your heart to pound as if you have run a marathon? Given below are some major causes of heart pounding or palpitations:
- In many cases, heart related reasons cause extensive pounding of the heart.
- Abnormal levels of electrolytes can cause your heart to pound.
- Certain medications, such as antibiotics, diet pills, asthma tablets or inhalers, may lead to heart pounding.
- Dehydration can cause heart palpitations.
- Drug abuse and drug dependence can cause your heart to pound.
- Fever also increases your heartbeat.
- High intake of alcohol can cause a pounding heart rate.
- If you are having intense emotions and panic attacks then heart pounding is a common occurrence.
- If you are into aggressive form of physical activity then also it can cause your heart to pound.
- If you are on some additional supplements (herbal or medicated), then they can also cause your heart rate to increase.
- Excessive caffeine intake causes your heart to pound.
- In case you have an underactive thyroid, then it can cause heart palpitations.
- Lack of nutritious food causes your heart to pound.
- Anemia is a common cause for palpitations.
- Low blood pressure is a common cause for heart palpitations.
- Low sugar levels is also a common cause for the heart to pound.
- Menopause can cause heart palpitations.
- Pregnancy can commonly cause the heart rate to increase.
- Meals rich in carbs and fats can lead to pounding of the heart.
- If you are eating too much of foods which contain monosodium glutamate (MSG), sodium, nitrates, then you can experience heart palpitations.
- When your body is undergoing major hormonal changes then palpitations become quite common.
In many cases, heart conditions are related with palpitations like heart attack and heart failure and one needs to be very watchful about such critical symptoms in order to avoid any untoward incident.
You can stop your heart from pounding (heart palpitations) naturally by making some healthy changes in your lifestyle, but you need to find out the cause behind your pounding heart rate with the help of some tests which include Electrocardiogram, Holter monitoring, Event recording, Echocardiogram and Chest X-ray. When the above tests confirm the cause of palpitations, then the treatment can be meted out.
The below section talks about the ways in which your heart palpitations can be alleviated through natural treatments and making the right lifestyle choices.
How to Stop Your Heart from Pounding (Palpitations)?
Heart palpitations can prove to have major consequence for your overall health as it stunts your normal course of life, which eventually dips down your efficiency. To increase longevity and to maintain good health, your lifestyle needs to be healthier. Foods you take should be equipped with nutrition. Heavy foods should not be consumed past noon.
You do not need to cut down any fat that you are taking but you need to consume such foods at the right time. Golden rule of being healthy is to be active and eat really well so that you are not facing any sort of deterioration in health.
Tips to Stop Heart Pounding Naturally are as Follows:
To stop your heart from pounding naturally, you can try coughing vigorously for few minutes, which can stop heart palpitations instantly. During coughing, pressure is build up in your heart and heart palpitations can stop.
In most of the cases, stress is the major cause of your palpitations, so cutting down on stress works wonders. Deep breathing helps in relaxing the pounding of your heart naturally. Do it for few minutes on a regular basis and all sorts of heart ailments will vanish with time.
- Eat magnesium rich foods like dark green vegetables and spinach.
- Dry fruits like almonds and cashews, which contain healthy fats, help in improving heart health naturally.
- Pumpkin seeds and flax seeds are also good for the heart and should be taken regularly to reduce the pounding of the heart.
- Peanut butter contains good fat and protein and is beneficial for heart and overall health.
- Eating bananas daily help in reducing heart palpitations naturally.
- Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids and helps in reducing the risk of heart failure, lowers cholesterol and reduces blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate contains antioxidants and flavonoids and helps in reducing the risk of many heart conditions including palpitations.
- Yogurt is beneficial for overall health and helps in reducing the pounding of the heart.
- Drink cold water to calm your mind and mood which can have an instant soothing effect on your heart too.
The above are some ways through which you can instantly control your heart palpitations; however, in the long run, you need to adopt a healthy lifestyle and be active physically to improve your health naturally.
Yoga for Healthy Heart
Yoga has immense benefits and is practiced all over the world with a never like before zeal. Equipped with qualities to make your body flexible and free from diseases, yoga has been serving everybody really well. It helps your heart to function correctly and makes you more active, mentally calmer and physically stronger.
Including yoga for good heart health has become a major reason for it being liked by numerous people. Yoga helps you a lot in the following ways:
- Yoga lowers your blood pressure, which may be the result of stress and bad diet.
- Yoga keeps you mentally fit, so there will be lesser stress, which has a direct link with heart palpitations, and you can handle the pressure calmly without experiencing any pounding of the heart.
- Yoga improves your sleep so that you feel more energetic. Good sleep is a major reason for good health.
- Yoga relieves you from stress, which where most of the problems occur. Increased stress levels causes heart palpitations. Practicing yoga helps in improving your health you will find that you are better able to handle your daily stress. Benefits of yoga have been stated even by the doctors; and they have been recommending yoga on a very large scale to different patients for different conditions including palpitations.
So, you can see there are many causes for your heart to pound and equal amount of remedies to relieve you pounding heart rate. It is always good to be active physically, which can be gym or yoga, because your cortisol levels will decrease after indulging in any physical activity and thus have a calming effect on your body. Cortisol is the culprit of bad health and should be curtailed by being fit. Managing stress becomes easier with yoga as it is the major reason for causing heart related illness. For stress relief, you can eat foods, which are rich in antioxidants so that your body cells are healthier, and proper blood flow is ensured. Make a healthy routine consisting of exercise and good food and stick to it. Exclude bad fat from your diet, but include clarified butter which is good for your heart and bones.