Lemons are a yellow fruit, which is ovular in shape and it comprises a juicy acidic flesh. It is considered to be the symbol or representation of the Mediterranean warmth and the heat of the Sun; however, it originally comes from the Far East, particularly India and China. Lemons are probably the most well-known acidic citrus fruit primarily due to its odor, its unique acidic flavor, and its vibrant color. The question may arise in relation to a lemons color and how it gets its unique color. The yellow color of a lemon is primarily dependent on bioflavonoid, which forms a part of the group known as Flavonoids.
Flavonoids are essentially a group of bioactive compounds that are extensively found in food, predominantly of plant origin. If Flavonoids are consumed on a regular basis it results in better overall health and it is associated with reduced risk in relation to a number of chronic diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative disorders. Flavonoids can be divided into subgroups based on their chemical structure and composition. These subgroups are extremely beneficial at the molecular level due to its antioxidant effects, as well as its ability to effectively modulate a number of key enzymatic pathways. The great extent of scientific evidence in relation to these bioactive compounds indicate that flavonoids play an active role when it comes to disease prevention, however further clinical and epidemiological trials are greatly needed in order to assess its other qualities. Among dietary sources of flavonoids, it is commonly found in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and spices; it is also responsible for giving these foods their respective unique colors. It seems that a diet rich in flavonoids is beneficial and its promotion is thus justifiable.
Are Lemons Healthy for You?
Lemons Help In The Process Of Detoxification of the Body
Detoxification is essentially the process of cleansing the blood. The process involves cleaning the blood and removing toxins from the body by eliminating them. Toxins are removed from the liver, kidneys, lungs, intestines, lymphatic system, as well as the skin. If the toxins are not effectively eradicated from these parts of the body, it can adversely affect the overall functionality of the human body. Detoxification is an effective process to remove impurities and toxic substances from the body since it pays individual attention to each cell in the body. The alarming rate, at which pollution is increasing and affecting the environment, has resulted in the number of toxins in the environment to increase proportionally. Hence, every doctor recommends their patients to go through the process of detoxification at least once a year since the human body has a tendency to get overwhelmed due to the magnitude of toxins in the environment. Symptoms indicating a toxic body include bloating or obesity, menstrual problems, low immunity, erratic sleeping patterns, memory loss, allergies and irritated skin.
Toxins in the human body can be compared to dirt in the engine of a vehicle preventing the engine from performing its regular functions. Similarly, toxins and hormone disruptors interfere with the regularity of functions performed by the body and disrupt the communication and collaboration between different body organs. The liver is known to be the detoxifier of the body. When it is overburdened with toxins and other harmful substances in the environment, it is unable to function to its full capacity. The liver is unable to produce the anti-oxidants it is required to produce in order to curb the possibility of cancer. The liver is unable to detoxify fat-soluble hormone disruptors with ease. It cannot dismantle hormones such as estrogen and insulin efficiently and effectively causing their levels to rise as it accumulates in the human body. Lemon juice helps a great deal with the process of detoxification of the body. The atomic structure of a lemon is almost identical to the atomic structure of the digestive juices present in the stomach. It basically deceives the liver into producing more bile, which promotes the movement of food through the human body and gastrointestinal tract.
Lemon Juice Helps With Indigestion
Lemon juice helps with indigestion and can help with an upset stomach. The acidity of the lemon juice helps in extracting the helpful nutrients from the food consumed more slowly; it helps in proper digestion and prevents bloating. Additionally, this maintains the levels of insulin in the body. Lemon water improves the functionality of enzymes present in the body and helps in eradicating harmful toxins from the body. Natural Detoxification of the human body is also a viable approach that can prove to be beneficial to a great extent. Implementing a balanced diet and leading a healthy lifestyle is considered to be the cornerstone of the process of detoxification. The foundation to maintaining a healthy and functional body revolves around the sole factor of following a set routine, which includes a certain level of physical exercise and a balanced diet, which delivers all the necessary nutrients to your body. A balanced diet basically includes a substantial intake of high-quality protein, carbohydrates, unsaturated fats, vitamins, and minerals as well as consuming large quantities of water during the course of the day. Implementing a balanced diet can diminish the likelihood of diseases and help in promoting overall body health and functionality.
The nutrient’s an individual benefit from the food consumed plays a vital role in determining effective completion of day to day activities and living. It helps in the process of reassembling prior damage caused to cells and restores it to its original state. There are several minute modifications a person can make in one’s life to ensure a better state of living. The changes need not be drastic. When it comes to the process of detoxifying your body, it can be beneficial if a person substitutes one meal with a detoxifying beverage such as a glass of lemon juice. This change is not radical and a person can comfortably adapt to this alteration. In fact, a person would be more than willing to give it a shot. By simply substituting one meal in a day with a detoxifying beverage can exterminate unnecessary toxins from the body to a great extent. It is important to prepare the beverage with fresh and natural ingredients and refrain from opting for a packaged beverage. The natural ingredients will help to cleanse the body effectively and maintain the health of an individual’s digestive system. It will also help a person reduce their overall weight. Substituting a meal with a detoxifying beverage such as a glass of lemon juice or lemon water will help to enhance an individual’s metabolic rate and increase natural energy.
Health Benefits of Consuming Lemons
Consuming various fruits and vegetables help a great deal in reducing the probability of several life related diseases. It is a known fact that lemons are a great source of Vitamin C, antioxidants and flavonoids. However, there are several other health benefits that come along with consuming lemons. The benefits that can be reaped from consuming lemons have been illustrated below:
- Lowers the Risk of a Stroke – Several studies have shown that citrus fruits significantly lowers the probability of stokes from occurring in women. Vitamin C and flavonoids seem to provide some sort of protection with the assistance of numerous mechanisms. It is said to improve the function of blood vessels and have an anti-inflammatory effect. Flavonoids help in keeping diseases such as cancer and related cardiovascular diseases. An ischemic stroke is a fairly common stokes which is seen, it generally occurs due to blood clots which block the passage of blood flow to the brain.
- Helps in Maintaining Blood Pressure – Consuming lemons and lemon juice can help in maintaining the optimum level of blood pressure.
- Keeps Cancer at Bay – Lemons and lemon juice prevent the formation of free radicals. Free radicals are known to cause cancer.
- Maintains the Health of the Skin and Promotes a Healthy Complexion – The antioxidant properties that come along with lemons (due to its composition of Vitamin C) helps in rejuvenating an individual’s skin. Vitamin C plays a pivotal role in the generation of collagen, which is the support system of the skin. If lemons are consumed in its natural form, it helps in combating skin damage caused by pollution and sun damage. Several studies have found that Vitamin C improves the overall health of an individual’s skin and prevents the formation of wrinkles.
- Improves Cholesterol Levels – Having high cholesterol instantaneously increases the probability of heart disease and peripheral arterial diseases and is often directly related to an individual’s lifestyle and diet. Cholesterol is naturally produced in the human body to create hormones, vitamin D as well as digestive fluids. Apart from its natural production, it is also produced on the consumption of food. Cholesterol is a crucial building block for every cell in the human body and is primarily produced by the liver. It is often misconceived in the healthcare industry as ‘dangerous’. It serves as a protective healing agent and is vital in the event of arterial inflammation. Now, if an individual is unaware of the causes of such inflammation and continues to live an unhealthy lifestyle, there will be a continuous process of healing which precipitates the cholesterol resulting in an increase in its level. It leads to the development of fatty deposits in the blood vessel and eventually clogs up the arteries which in turn reduce blood flow. The deposits left on the walls of the arteries are known as plaque. Plaque can narrow one’s arteries or even block them. Cholesterol levels usually increase with age. There are usually no signs or symptoms indicating high levels of cholesterol. .
- Prevention of Asthma – The risk of developing asthma considerably seems to diminish in people who consume a high amount of certain healthy nutrients such as Vitamin C. It is a known fact that lemons are abundant in Vitamin C and upon consumption can reduce the risk of asthma from developing.
- Dental Care – Lemons are often used to maintain the health of teeth. It is frequently used as a medium of dental care in order to treat toothaches. Lemon juice is applied in the spot where the ache is persistent and gradually the ache will subside. Gently applying lemon juice on the gums can help with bleeding gums as it aids in stoppage of the bleeding. It also helps in eliminating bad odor. However, lemon juice should be used in moderation because its acidic nature and properties can degrade the enamel present in the tooth and deteriorate the overall health of an individual’s teeth.
- Helps Cure the Flu – Lemon juice has proven to be beneficial when it comes to treating the flu, cold or fever. It increases the amount of perspiration and thus allows the fever to break out through the sweat.
- Hair and Skin Care – Lemon juice is said to promote the health of a person’s scalp as it helps in eliminating dandruff, hair loss and other related problems pertaining to the scalp. Lemon juice is also used to treat burns and can help in the process of anti-aging if applied to the skin.
- Boosts Immune System – Foods that are particularly rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants may promote the overall functionality of the immune system against harmful foreign bodies and germs that cause the flu or a bad cold. A study conducted a few years back has indicated that even though vitamin C supplements do not appear to reduce the probability of colds, it may assist in reducing the duration of a cold. Vitamin C also boosts immunity in individuals who are undergoing stress and rigorous physical activity. Squeezing a whole lemon into a glass of hot water accompanied with a large spoonful of honey can prove to be a soothing drink for someone suffering from a cough or cold.
- Weight Loss- Lemons are often considered to aid in weight loss. A popular theory is that the soluble pectin fiber that is present in lemons expands in the stomach which creates the feeling of being full for a long period of time.
- Prevention of Kidney Stones – Kidney stones is formed due to the crystallization of waste material in the kidney that causes it to accumulate. The acidic property that lemons showcase helps a great deal in the prevention of kidney stones as it helps in dissolving them entirely.
- Prevents Anemia – Anemia is caused due to iron deficiency in the body. Lemons contain a certain amount of iron and can help in the prevention of Anemia to a certain extent.
Lemons are also a great source of thiamin; it is also abundant in magnesium, fiber, vitamin B6, calcium, copper as well as Potassium.
The acid present in lemons causes the enamel to wither away over time and can leave an individual susceptible to tooth decay and formulation of cavities. Thus, lemons should be consumed in moderation. There are several health benefits associated with the consumption of lemons.
In ancient times, lemons were widely utilized as astringents and antidotes in China, India and in Mesopotamian civilizations. Presently, lemons are commonly used for the process of detoxification of the body; it also helps in lowering the probability of a stroke and keeps chronic diseases such as cancer at bay. Lemons are also widely used, in foods such as salads, medicines, beauty products, and much more. Slices of lemons are often served as a garnish on fish or meat dishes or served as a garnish with iced tea. Lemon Zest, which is the yellow part, is a common ingredient in dishes as well. Lemons are a popular addition to beverages in general since it alleviates the flavor by adding a hint of refreshment and also adds an extra dash of Vitamin C.