Diet Typhoid Fever: Foods to Consume & Foods to Avoid
Typhoid is an infectious disease caused by Salmonella typhi, a bacterium. It spreads when people consume contaminated food and water. People with a weak immune system are most likely to get affected. The gastric system is mainly affected in typhoid fever. Hence diet during typhoid fever is very crucial.
Diet During Typhoid Fever
Typhoid leads to high fever, rashes, diarrhea or constipation, headaches, abdominal pain, and vomiting, which can prove to be fatal. Gastrointestinal discomforts are very common during typhoid fever, it is therefore very important to take care of the diet. How you cook the food and what food you choose while cooking is also important. Let us look at the main points to remember while planning a diet during typhoid fever.
The main motive of maintaining a good diet is to strengthen the immune system to fight against the infection. During typhoid fever, the digestive system is not in complete health to digest any food. Hence, light and easy to digest options should be consumed and at the same time the diet should be sufficient to replenish the nutrients.
Typhoid diet should include carbohydrates and fats. Protein is also an extremely important part of the diet of a typhoid patient.
Some of the important points in prevention of typhoid includes taking appropriate prevention regarding food and water while travelling.1
Food to Consume During Typhoid Fever
Diet during typhoid fever should be planned keeping in mind the infection affecting the colon and the disturbed digestion. Also, fever and diarrhea can cause fatigue, so high energy foods that are easy to digest are needed.
High-calorie food is an important part of the diet during typhoid fever. A person suffering from typhoid fever loses immense weight, which a high-calorie diet can make up for. Food rich in calories includes banana, white bread, boiled potatoes, and pasta.
Diarrhea and recurring fever can lead to dehydration. It is therefore important to keep up with the fluid levels of the body, which means increasing fluid intake is also necessary. Increasing water intake and consuming fresh fruits and fruit juices help meet the water requirement of the body. Fluids from tender coconut water, barley water, and vegetable soup can also be consumed until the body temperature comes back to normal. This is a crucial part of the diet during typhoid fever.
Food rich in carbohydrate content is also recommended during typhoid fever. Food should be semi-solid and easy to digest.
Boiled rice, baked potato, and poached egg are the carbohydrate-rich foods which are beneficial for the body.
Dairy products should be consumed when suffering from typhoid fever. These foods are easy to digest and also make up for the protein deficiency. Yogurt, buttermilk, and cottage cheese are the dairy products which can help a patient suffering from typhoid.
What Food To Avoid During Typhoid Fever?
Fiber-rich food can distress the digestive system and therefore should not be consumed. Oatmeal, salads, whole wheat bread, and raw vegetables are rich in fiber and should be avoided.
- Certain vegetables like cabbage, turnip, and capsicum lead to gas and bloating, and should be kept away if suffering from typhoid.
- Spicy food like chili, hot sauce, and vinegar should also not be consumed, as they can inflame the digestive system.
- Ghee, desserts, butter, and fried food become difficult to digest. They should be avoided.
- Whole grains also are hard to digest, therefore should be avoided.
- Along with the diet, hygiene should equally be taken care of.
- Avoid buying fruits and vegetable from the places where hygiene is not maintained.
- Wash them properly before consuming.
- Washing hand before handling food is also very important.
- Drink bottled water and make sure what you buy is sealed.
- Typhoid: Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, Risk Factors, Prevention, Diagnosis
- Is Typhoid An Infectious Disease & Which Organs Does Typhoid Affect?
- Is Typhoid Contagious & How Long Does It Take To Recover From Typhoid?
- What are the After Effects of Typhoid?
- Does Typhoid Fever Cause Hair Loss?| Home Remedies for Hair Loss Due to Typhoid
- Can You Suffer From Typhoid Fever More Than Once?