Watermelon is one of the most popular summer fruit. Watermelons are incredibly rich in water content. It is a highly hydrating fruit that contains nearly 92% of water with a bunch of other essential vitamins and minerals. While consuming the succulent watermelon we often throw away the little tiny watermelon seeds which are found inside the flesh of the melon.(1) These little watermelon seeds which are brownish-black in color are rich in nutrition. In the current discussion, we will discuss the magical properties of the watermelon seeds and the benefits it can enforce for our health if we consume them regularly.
Health Benefits of Watermelon Seeds
The seeds found in watermelon provide a series of micronutrients like zinc, copper, magnesium, potassium, folate, iron, and many more. If you consume them regularly you can experience the following benefits:
- Great for Immunity and Heart: Packed with a long list of micronutrients, watermelon seeds are considered to be super favorable for stronger immunity. In return, stronger immunity can be an indicator of much better and stronger health. Due to the presence of magnesium in watermelon seeds, they can also be a great cure for hypertension. This in turn can contribute to maintaining better cardiac health. You can consume watermelon seeds in a moderate quantity daily to improve your cardiac conditions and also maintain a healthy blood pressure level. The nutrients in watermelon seeds make them extremely effective anti-inflammatory agent and a great vasodilator. (2) In other words, they help to widen blood vessels which can be a great way of keeping cardiac problems at bay. The iron content in watermelon seeds help to carry oxygenated blood to different parts of the body. Additionally, the nutrient zinc found in watermelon seeds can also help to improve your cardiac health and regulate the calcium movements found in your heart.
- Health Benefits of Watermelon Seeds for Stronger Bones: Watermelon seeds contain a good amount of copper; along with copper you can also get nutrients like potassium and magnesium. All these minerals together can be helpful in boosting a strong skeleton system. This means they can help you to have stronger bones and can also contribute to improving your bone density. (1)
- Benefits of Watermelon Seeds for Better Metabolism: It has been mentioned in the very opening of the discussions that watermelon seeds are rich in micronutrients like iron, folate, copper, zinc, potassium, and magnesium. They are also rich in proteins, amino acids, and Vitamin B complex. All these micronutrients together can contribute to improving the metabolism rate of your body. This will not only help you in digestion but can also keep obesity at bay. (1)
- Healthy Fats: Watermelon seeds are also rich in healthy fats that can be extremely beneficial for your body. They do not contain even a single trace of unhealthy fat and can provide your body with healthy fatty acids like linoleic acid, folic acid which are very important for a healthy system and proper functioning of your different organs. (1, 2)
- Health Benefits of Watermelon Seeds for Diabetics: These days diabetes is a very common problem found in people of different age groups all across the world. The black seeds of watermelon can be extremely helpful to control your blood sugar level and hence can be considered to be a great snacking option for people suffering from Type 2 diabetes. (2)
- Health Benefits of Watermelon Seeds for Glowing Skin: Oil extracts from watermelon seeds is one of the most popular ingredients used in the making of different kinds of beauty and cosmetic products. Watermelon seed oil is known to be extremely effective in treating acne and signs of early aging. These seeds are extremely rich in antioxidants and can be helpful to reverse the signs of early aging. Consuming these seeds in their natural intact forms can be extremely beneficial for your skin. (3) They can boost your skin health and can foster an inner glow. Ideally, you can include a few seeds in your regular diet and can visibly notice the change in your skin condition. Additionally, the fatty acids found in watermelon seeds can help to prevent skin dryness and provide enough hydration to mend your damaged skin.
- Health Benefits of Watermelon Seeds for Better Hair: The iron and proteins found in watermelon seeds can help to improve the quality and texture of your hair. They help to increase your hair strength and can also contribute to better hair regrowth. The high magnesium content in these seeds can also prevent hair damage which leads to untimely and excess hair fall. (2)
- Benefits for Male Fertility: The zinc found in the watermelon seeds can be extremely effective in treating male infertility. The nutrient zinc can be of help to improve the sperm quality in men which is one of the major challenges faced in the domain of male fertility. Men who are getting facing issues with infertility can include a few watermelon seeds in their regular diet to improve their sperm quality and count. (2)
- Health Benefits of Watermelon Seeds in Effectively Treating Asthma: Watermelon seeds are also rich in vitamin C. This is exactly why they can be immensely helpful in treating the symptoms of asthma. Vitamin C is an antioxidant-rich dietary nutrient that can help to contain and treat the symptoms of asthma. (1, 2) Hence people suffering from the symptoms of this respiratory disease can include a few watermelon seeds in their regular diets and observe changes in their health.
How To Use Watermelon Seeds To Get The Health Benefits?
There is a specific process of preparing watermelon seeds for regular consumption and preserving for longer use. You can’t eat them raw. Clean the seeds after collecting them from the fruits then dry the seeds under the sun for a few days. In absence of sunlight, just keep the seeds open to normal air. When the moisturizer disappears from the upper surfaces of the seeds roast them in a pan. You can then keep the roasted seeds in an airtight container.