Multivitamins and minerals provide the body with the substances that the diet cannot provide. They are included in the routine to overcome the deficiency caused due to various diseases, pregnancy, poor nutrition, digestive disorders, and certain medications.
Vitamin C and zinc are known for numerous health benefits that include:
- Aiding immunity
- Reducing the risk of age-related eye diseases
- To hasten wound healing
Vitamin C plays a role in the absorption of plant-based iron. It is a water-soluble vitamin and is found in fruits and vegetables including bell peppers, broccoli, kale, and spinach. The recommended intake of vitamin C for women is 75 mg and a man is 90 mg.(1)
Zinc is required by the body to make DNA for cell division. The best source of zinc is meat and seafood. The recommended daily allowance of zinc in women is 8mg and man is 11 mg.(2)
7 Useful Health Benefits of Consuming Vitamin C and Zinc
The combination of these vitamin C and zinc can be very beneficial in many conditions. The health benefits of consuming vitamin C and zinc are as follows.
- Strengthens The Immune System: Both zinc and vitamin C can boost the immune system and fight inflammation. Many over-the-counter prescriptions and natural remedies contain zinc in them. Vitamin C encourages the production of white blood cells in the body that keep the body protected against any infection.(3) People with pneumonia have low vitamin C levels and supplementing this vitamin shortens the recovery time.(4) A review showed the role of zinc in reducing the duration of the common cold by up to 33% (5) Intake of zinc reduces the inflammatory markers and frequency of infection.(6)
- Lowers The Risk Of Heart Diseases: Heart disease is a well known leading cause of death worldwide.(7) Both vitamin C and zinc are known to lower the risk of suffering from heart disease. A study shows zinc supplements helped in decreasing the risk of bad cholesterol and triglycerides.(8) Another study showed that higher levels of zinc were linked with lower systolic blood pressure levels.(9) Also, taking vitamin C supplements daily reduces the risk of heart diseases by 25%.(10) It also reduces LDL cholesterol and blood triglycerides.(11)
- Protects Against Eye Diseases: Both vitamin C and zinc are known to lower the risk of age-related macular degeneration. Macular degeneration is a leading cause of vision loss worldwide. These vitamins slow down the process and protect against vision loss and blindness.(15)
- Vitamin C Reduces Blood Uric Acid and Prevents Gout Attacks: Vitamin C-rich foods and supplements lower the blood uric acid levels and the risk of gout. A study showed people who consumed vitamin C supplements had a 44% lower risk of suffering from gout.(12) Another study found men who consumed more vitamin C had significantly lower blood levels of uric acid.(13)
- Zinc Can Help Fight Acne: Zinc promotes skin health and helps in the treatment of common skin condition i.e. acne.(14) Zinc is favored as a treatment option, as it is less expensive and has a lower risk of side effects.
- Zinc Promotes Blood Sugar Control: Zinc plays a role in controlling the blood sugar levels by improving the body’s sensitivity to insulin. A study showed the effect of zinc supplement on enhancing the control of both long-term and short-term sugar control in people with diabetes.(16) Research shows that zinc can reduce insulin resistance and improve the body’s ability to use insulin efficiently.(17)
- Vitamin C Helps Prevent Iron Deficiency: Vitamin C improves the iron absorption from the food we eat. It makes the iron from the plant-based foods, easy to absorb.(18) It is seen that 100mg of vitamin C improves iron absorption by 67%. (19) It thereby reduces the risk of anemia in those prone to iron deficiency.
Vitamin C and zinc supplements have numerous benefits. They can be effective in reducing the incidence and improve the outcome of malaria, pneumonia, and diarrhea infections. But, they can interfere with the action of many medications. Their high doses can lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps as well. It is good to get instructed by a doctor on the dosage and method to take even the supplements to reap maximum benefits.