Allergic To Bee Stings: A Brief Overview
If an individual is allergic to bee stings, then one has to be very careful about the foods they eat. An allergic reaction to bee sting in itself is very serious and can be potentially life threatening.
An allergic reaction to bee stings results in a sudden drop in blood pressure along with swelling of the mouth, face, and throat. Loss of consciousness may occur as a result of an allergic reaction to bee stings.
Thus it is recommended that if you live in areas where there are beehives or are planning to go out on camping that you consult with an allergist to find out if you are allergic to bees stings.
In case if you are deemed to be allergic to bee stings, then along with avoiding getting bitten by bees there are also certain foods that you need to avoid in order to save yourself from an allergic reaction to bee stings. These foods mainly are prepared with byproducts of honey and other products that are found in beehives or are made by honeybee. This article gives an overview of some of the foods to avoid if you are allergic to bee sting.
What Are The Foods To Avoid If You Are Allergic To Bee Stings?
Some of the foods that you need to avoid if you are allergic to bee stings are as follows:
Honey: This is the most common form of food associated with honeybees. Individuals allergic to bee stings are actually allergic to the venom of the bee sting. Honey has in it pollen, which is found in honeybees. This is what that may trigger an allergic reaction in individuals with allergy to bee stings when they eat honey.
There are certain pastries and cakes that add honey as artificial sweeteners and thus it becomes essential for you to know whether the cake or pastry has honey in it before eating it if you are allergic to bee sting.
Bee Pollen: This is widely used for treatment of chronic fatigue, constipation, and even in some cases of prostatitis. If an individual is allergic to bee stings, then it is recommended for them to stay away from bee pollen, as it may trigger a severe allergic reaction if consumed, which may be potentially serious.
Bee pollen is found in certain energy drinks and bars. Thus, individual with beet sting allergy need to avoid consuming products which have bee pollen in them in order to avoid an allergic reaction.
Royal Jelly: This is yet another eating product made by honeybees, which is widely consumed by us. It is actually a mixture of honey and proteins. This product is used as a nutrition supplement in the form of tonics.
It should be noted here that if an individual is allergic to bee stings, then the person may be allergic to all byproducts of bees and hence royal jelly is yet another product that an individual should avoid in order to avoid any allergic reaction as a result of a byproduct of honey.
Propolis: This is also a byproduct made by honeybees to build their hives. Propolis is used basically to protect the hive from bacteria and viruses. Thus this product is widely used for treatment of common cold, infections, and to boost the immune system as a result of the antimicrobial effect of this product.
As of recent, Propolis has been found to be used in toothpastes as well; since, it is a byproduct of honey, if an individual is allergic to bee stings, then one needs to avoid consumption of propolis as this may trigger an allergic reaction, which may be potentially serious.
It is believed that if an individual is allergic to bee stings, then in all likelihood that individual will be allergic to the byproducts made by bees such as honey, bee pollen, propolis, and royal jelly, which are widely used as artificial sweeteners to energy drinks to even toothpastes.
Thus, in case if you are allergic to bee stings, then it is extremely essential for you to identify and choose products, which are free of any ingredients made of byproducts of honey and avoid any allergic reaction.
- Bee Sting: Symptoms, Treatment, First Aid, Home Remedies
- How Long Does Bee Sting Itch & What to do for it?
- What To Do For Bee Sting Swelling?
- If You Are Allergic To Bee Stings, Are You Allergic To Honey?
- What is a Bee Sting Allergy & How is it Treated?