Paraganglioma is a rare type of nerve cell and neuroendocrine tumor. These types of tumors develop from the adrenal medulla but they form outside of the adrenal glands.(1)
Paraganglioma tumor is responsible to make adrenaline in excessive amounts. It is found in 2persons from a population of one million each year. The tumor is also a prime cause of hypertension in individuals already suffering from high blood pressure.(2)
In most of the cases, Paraganglioma is of slow-growing and benign type of cancer. However, it may invade other body parts to become cancerous or metastasize itself to cause problems.(3)
What To Eat When You Have Paraganglioma?
We know that Paraganglioma is a type of nerve cell tumor. Hence, you have to include the food items, which help manage your symptoms related to nerve cells tumor. These include the following-
Have A Combination Of Nutritious Foods: You should make a habit to eat varieties of colorful vegetables and fruits, along with grains. Also, you should include various other healthy food items in your diet to achieve optimal nutrition and achieve the highest possible amounts of antioxidants and essential nutrients.
Eating Habits And Items To Deal With Tumor Symptoms: You should follow eating habits and include foods, which help in addressing symptoms related to Paraganglioma and other similar types of nerve cells tumor. These are reduction in appetite, fatigue, vomiting, and many more. For instance, if you experience the problem of reduced appetite, you should intake small and frequent meals. If possible, you should include certain types of bedtime snacks.
Furthermore, you should intake fluids between your meals and nutritional drinks or supplements, like milk, juice, and yogurt and whey protein. On the other side, if you have diarrhea with a reduced appetite, you may even go with the BRATY diet. The diet plan consists of rice, bananas, toast, applesauce, and yogurt. Along with this, patients experiencing constipation should intake warm beverages and add fiber in their daily diet gradually.
Focus On Eating Balanced Diet Instead Of Nutrients: You should avoid isolating the nutrients with the intake of specific food groups or vitamin supplements. Instead, you should make your habit to eat a balanced diet and include varieties of colorful food items in your meals. This step helps you to get the essential nutrients according to the requirement of your body. When you have whole foods, you gain fiber and antioxidants in huge amounts, which will be beneficial for your body.(4)
What To Avoid When You Have Paraganglioma?
If you are a patient of Paraganglioma i.e. a type of nerve cell tumor, you should strictly avoid the types or groups of foods, which will put you at a high risk related to food poisoning. These are as follows-
- Yogurt made by using unpasteurized milk or the unpasteurized milk
- Various types of soft, blue-veined, and slow-ripened cheeses or unpasteurized milk cheeses, like Danish blue, brie camembert, gorgonzola, and stilton.
- Eggs until and unless they come with Lion marks and cooked until and unless the yolk and the white remain in solid form.
- Undercooked or rare poultry items or meat and uncooked shellfish
- Lightly cooked or raw bean sprouts.(5)
Based on the mentioned facts, we should say that patients suffering from Paraganglioma or any other similar type of nerve cell tumor should follow a balanced diet, which consists of a combination of colorful fruits and veggies. Other than this, patients should discuss with the doctor about dealing with individual symptoms. However, a Paraganglioma patient should avoid unpasteurized food items, like milk, yogurt, and cheeses.
- How To Diagnose Paragangliomas & What Is The Best Medicine For It?
- Is Paraganglioma A Serious Condition & Can It Be Reversed?
- Are Paragangliomas Hereditary & Lifestyle Changes For It?
- What Is The Difference Between Paraganglioma & Pheochromocytoma?
- Can You Feel A Paraganglioma & Coping Methods For It?
- What Are The First Symptoms Of Paraganglioma & How Do You Test For It?
- What Leads To Paraganglioma & Can It Be Cured?