Are you embarrassed about your dark knees and elbows? Do you have to avoid short skirt, shorts or sleeveless tops? Well! You can take some time to read this post and get to know about some of the best home remedies for dark knees and elbows. Hope this would prove beneficial for you, if you are looking for getting rid of dark knees and elbows.
Home Remedies for Dark Knees and Elbows:
It is very true that even skin tone adds to your beauty and having dark knees or elbows can actually degrade your beauty. However, this is a common issue that can make anyone worry about her beauty.
There are no oil glands in the skin of knees and elbows and thus, these areas easily dry out and collect dirt and impurities that are pretty difficult to remove. Friction, pressure, sun exposure and buildup of dead skin cells are some factors that can contribute to dark knees and elbows.
You do not have to spend tons of money to get your beauty back. Here are some of the home remedies that you can follow to get rid of dark knees and elbows.
Coconut oil is known to be a wonderful home remedy to lighten dark knees and elbows. It contains vitamin E, that can aid lighten the skin tone and also prevent dryness by keeping the skin hydrated and well moisturized. Coconut oil can even repair dark and damaged skin.
- After taking bat, apply coconut oil on your knees and elbows and gently massage for about 2 minutes. Reapply the oil several times in a day so as to prevent dryness.
- You can also alternatively prepare a mixture with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and half teaspoon of lemon juice. Rub this prepared solution on your knees and elbows and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then, wipe it off with paper towel. Do this every day.
- You can also add enough coconut oil to one tablespoon of walnut powder for preparing a thick paste and use it to exfoliate dark skin patches around your knees and elbows. Do this 2 to 3 times in a week.
- One more home remedy for dark knees and elbows could be yogurt. Yogurt helps in lightening skin color because of the presence of lactic acid in it. It also cleanses and moisturizes the skin well.
- Mix one teaspoon each of plain yogurt and white vinegar so as to get a smooth paste. Apply this on the affected areas of the knees and elbows and let it dry. Then after, rinse it off with war water, pat dry and apply a moisturizer. Do this regularly for few weeks.
- You can also alternatively mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour and 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt for preparing a thick paste and apply it on the knees and elbows and leave it for 20 minutes. Then, rub wit wet fingers so as to remove the paste and rinse it with water. Doing this 2-3 times in a week for few weeks could give you effective results.
- Lemon is one more home remedy you can use for getting rid of dark knees and elbows. Lemon has natural bleaching and also exfoliating properties in it. Moreover, it also is rich in vitamin C, which helps in removing dead cells and in lightening the skin tone. Lemon can also promote regeneration of healthy skin cells.
- Apply lemon juice on your knees and elbows and gently massage for few minutes. Leave it on for at least 20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water and make use of a moisturizing lotion to the skin.
- You can also extract the juice from one lemon and mix it with one tablespoon of honey and apply the blend on the affected areas of knees and elbows and leave it on for at least 20 minutes. Then, wash the mixture off with water.
Follow the remedy once every day for few weeks.
Another effective home remedy to get rid of dark knees and elbows is Sugar. In order to lighten the skin tone of your knees and elbows, you can apply homemade sugar scrub. Sugar granules, aid in exfoliating dead skin cells and also helps in softening the skin.
- Mix equal amounts of sugar and olive oils for making a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your knees and elbows and rub it around properly using circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Wash it off properly with a mild soap and warm water.
- Do this once regularly, until the skin tone around knees and elbows are lightened.
- Repeat this treatment every week for best results.
Aloe vera is a natural skin lightener and can be used to get rid of dark knees and elbows naturally. Aloe vera also keeps the skin hydrated and well moisturized. It can help in maintaining even skin tone and also promote the repair of skin cells that are damaged by sun exposure.
- Extract the gel of aloe vera, by breaking open one fleshy leaf.
- Apply the gel on the affected areas of knees and elbows
- Let it set on for about 20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this, at least 2 times daily for a few weeks to get best results.
Baking soda acts as a gentle cleanser and thus is pretty effective home remedy in treating dark knees and elbows. It can also help remove dead skin cells and reduce hyper-pigmentation that forms around the knees and elbows.
- First prepare a paste using one tablespoon of milk and one tablespoon of baking soda.
- Apply this paste on knees and elbows and rub it around in circular motions for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, wash it off well with lukewarm water and pat dry the area properly.
- Repeat this every alternative day, until you get desired results.
There is also another effective home remedy for dark knees and elbows. Both, almond as well as almond oil are good for your skin. Almonds, being rich in skin-nourishing properties, can help maintain an even skin tone and also help in keeping your skin healthy and glowing.
- Massage the affected areas of knees and elbows with warm almond oil for at least 5 minutes, regularly before bed. Within a few days, you can notice an improvement in the skin tone of the affected areas.
- You can also alternatively, mix one or two tablespoons of coarsely powdered almonds with a little of yogurt for preparing a thick paste and then apply it on the darkened elbows and knees. Then, allow it to dry and thereafter, with wet fingers, rib in circular motions. Wash it off with cold water. Doing this twice a day for few weeks would give effective results.
Mint contains a lot of volatile oils in it that promote collagen in the body. It helps in maintaining an even skin tone and also makes skin glow with better health.
- Boil half cup of water with a handful of mint leaves for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then, add the juice of half lemon, strain it well and allow the solution to cool.
- Soak a cotton ball in this prepared solution and rub it on your knees and elbows.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
Following this treatment one or two times regularly, for few weeks could give you satisfactory results.
Turmeric is also known to be an effective home remedy for dark knees and elbows. It can help in maintaining an even skin tone and also helps in getting a nice glow to the skin.
- Simply mix a little powder of turmeric with one teaspoon of milk cream and apply the paste on your knees and elbows and massage for few minutes. Allow it to dry and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, combine equal amounts of turmeric powder and gram flour and add enough of rose water to it for making a paste. Then, massage this paste on the affected areas in the knees and elbows and leave it until it dries. Finally, scrub off the dried mask with lukewarm water.
Following these remedies at least once every day, for couple of weeks could show you effective results.
Onion and Garlic For Dark Knees and Elbows:
Onions and garlic contain essential minerals and oils that actually lightens your skin and can be a useful home remedy to get rid of dark knees and elbows.
- You will require one clove garlic, one onion, lemon juice, glycerine, rose water etc to use this as a home remedy.
- Peel the garlic and onion and grate them in to small chunks. Then after, mix them together well and rub them on dark knees and elbows for at least 15 minutes, before washing them off with warm water and mild soap. Now, mix one part of glycerin, one part of lemon juice and two parts of rosewater and apply to the dark skin.
- Repeating this on a regular basis would show improvements.
Cucumber has some natural bleaching properties, that aid in lightening dark knees and elbows. Moreover, cucumber also helps the skin moisturized and help in removing impurities from the outer layer of the skin.
- Rub thick slices of cucumber, gently over your knees and elbows for at least 10 minutes. Then leave it for another 5 minutes before rinsing it off well with cold water. Follow this treatment on a daily basis.
- Alternatively, you can also mix together equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice and stir in a little turmeric powder. Now, apply this on the affected areas on knees and elbows. Leave it on for 20 minutes to 30 minutes and then wash it off with water. Doing this regularly would give you effective results in your attempt to lighten dark knees and elbows.
Gram Flour and Yogurt for Dark Knees and Elbows:
Gram flour or chickpea flour contain essential vitamins, minerals and proteins and they exfoliate the skin, removing dead skin cells and blemishes to give brighter and healthy looking skin. Yogurt moisturizes and evens the skin tone. So, combining these two could give great results in treating dark knees and elbows.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour along with yogurt for preparing a paste.
- Apply this paste to knees and elbows and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Make sure you massage in circles for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat this method regularly.
Kindly note that for dry skin, you need to replace yogurt with fresh cream and for oily skin replace yogurt with milk.
Chickpea Flour, Turmeric, Milk and Lemon Juice:
One more effective remedy for dark knees and elbows would require 2 heaps of chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon turmeric powder, 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and rose water.
- Mix chickpea powder, lemon juice, turmeric powder and milk in a bowl for making a paste.
- Apply this paste to your knees and elbows and let it dry for few minutes.
- Then after, wash it off with water and mild soap and pat dry.
- Apply rose water to the knees and elbows and leave on.
- Repeat this twice in a week for best results.
Olive Oil and Sugar:
- Olive oil and sugar combined together, works greatly in exfoliating and moisturizing the skin for brightening dark patches.
- Combine equal quantities of warm olive oil and sugar for preparing a paste.
- Rub this paste in to your dark knees and elbows until sugar granules shrink and dissolve.
- This would take about 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and a mild soap.
- Repeating this on a daily basis would get you a lighter skin tone in few weeks
Milk is also known to be a wonderful home remedy for dark knees and elbows. The lactic acid present in milk reduces skin pigmentation, moisturizes and clears away dead skin cells. This works slower than other methods, however is very much effective.
- Use a cotton ball for applying full fat milk to dark knees and elbows.
- Let it absorb into the skin completely.
- Repeat this method every day for best results.
Buttermilk, Oatmeal and Almonds For Dark Knees And Elbows
Buttermilk has moisturizing, acidic, bleaching and exfoliating properties that is known to help lighten skin. Ground oatmeal and almonds are also known to act as exfoliating agents for clearing away dead skin cells.
- Grind oatmeal and almonds properly.
- Combine oatmeal and almonds with buttermilk for preparing a paste.
- Massage in to the knees and elbows, rubbing in a circular motion.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes and then wash off with water.
- Repeating this once in a week for about 2-3 months would provide you desired results.
Cocoa butter and Shea butter are also known to be effective in treating dark knees and elbows. These types of butter contain natural fats that help in moisturizing and lightening the skin.
- Massage cocoa or shea butter in to knees and elbows, until they get absorbed completely.
- Leave it on for a few hours and then wash off with clean water.
- Doing this before bed and leaving overnight would help you get best results.
You can simply rub the dark skin in knees and elbows using a pumice stone to remove the dead cells of the skin. You can use this while bathing. This could be an effective home remedy for dark knees and elbows.
Tips to Prevent Dark Knees and Elbows:
- Drink sufficient amount of water every day.
- Make use of sunscreen lotion regularly.
- Rub your knees and elbows gently with a pumice stone so as to remove dead skin cells but take care so as not to bruise your skin while rubbing.
- Apply moisturizers after taking bath, so as to reduce dryness and friction.
- Use an exfoliating brush in the shower.
- Rub a cucumber slice on knees and elbow regularly to lighten the dark knees and elbows.
- Apply moisturizers wit Shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, or coconut oil, before going to bed.
- Apply olive oil before bed and leave it on overnight. This would soften and bleach your skin.
- Cut a lemon and squeeze while rubbing in your knees and elbows. Make a note, not to apply lemon juice or salt to cracked skin or bruised skin, as it can generate burning and irritation of the skin.
- Do not scrub excessively, as this can cause the skin to produce extra cells. You can gently scrub 2-3 times in a week
- Always make use of natural bleaching agents, rather than chemicals to get rid of dark knees and elbows.
- Restrict your intake of sugar, breads, energy drinks, cereals, soft drinks, caffeine and other processed foods.
- Always keep your knees and elbows covered and restore moisture and prevent rubbing.
- Do not lean on knees and elbows. This strain encourages darkening of the skin.
So, with all the above mentioned home remedies and preventive measures, it must be easier for you to add on beauty, even to your knees and elbows. Follow the remedies and get rid of dark knees and elbows. If these remedies do not work, then do consult with your doctor to prescribe skin bleaching lotion.
“You are free to wear short skirts and sleeveless tops. Show your even skin tone!”