Is Trichomoniasis an STD?
Is Trichomoniasis an STD?
Trichomoniasis is basically a parasitic infection caused by a microscopic parasite called Trichomonas vaginalis. The infection is essentially a sexually transmitted disease (STD) more common among people having unprotected sex. Trichomoniasis is one of the most common STD and is very much treatable.
How to Get Tested From Trichomoniasis?
- In case the patient is symptomatic, the patient has to visit a doctor in order to diagnose the problem.
- The doctor, on the visit may have to check the genital area in order to look for any form of visible symptoms.
- A swab may be taken from the genital like the vagina or the penis, as the case may be and will be sent for testing in the laboratory.
- Sometime, the patient may be recommended to go for a urine culture.
- It does not really take much time for the test results to come out and on the diagnosis of Trichomoniasis, appropriate medication may be given.
- Sometimes, in case of painful symptoms the doctor may start with the preliminary treatment before the arrival of the test results, to ease out the discomfort.
What Includes in the Treatment Procedure of Trichomoniasis?
- As mentioned, Trichomoniasis is caused by parasitic infection in the genitals. It is a totally curable disease.
- The treatment procedure includes the use of prescribed antibiotics by the doctor along with taking some steps of personal hygiene.
- The patient may have to complete the course of antibiotics so prescribed which is usually for five to seven days.
- Sometimes the doctor may prescribe a single, but larger dose of antibiotic. It all depends on the intensity of the infection so caused.
- In order to avoid the relapse of the infection, the patient may be advised not to have sex while the treatment goes on.
- It is also advised that the sexual partner of the patient to test for the same infection so that early treatment may be started in case of the spread of the disease.
Does the Infection in Trichomoniasis Affect Pregnancy?
There are certain risks in case pregnant women is diagnosed with Trichomoniasis-
- Expecting mothers having Trichomoniasis delve with a higher risk of having premature birth.
- It is also seen that babies born from mothers having Trichomoniasis have low both weight which is less than five and a half pounds.
- Such conditions increase the risk of health ailments in new born babies and may also affect the proper development of these babies.
- Sometimes, the antibiotics used for the treatment of the expecting mother may have an effect on the fetus.
How to Prevent the Relapse of Trichomoniasis?
- It is very important to have protected sex in order to reduce the chance of having Trichomoniasis. Use of condoms bars the sexually transmitted disease to spread.
- Regular check-ups for STI along with the partner prove beneficial.
- It is advisable to limit the number of sexual partners in order to reduce the risk of transmission of such diseases. Being monogamous saves a person from the risks of contracting the sexually transmitted diseases.
The testing method of Trichomoniasis is a non-invasive one, and takes few hours for the arrival of test results. Once a patient is diagnosed of this disease, antibiotics are given to treat the condition. The patient has to complete the full course of antibiotics prescribed in order to get relieved from the painful symptoms. The patient is usually advised to refrain from any form of sexual activity while the treatment process is going on. Use of condoms while having sex limits the risk of having such infections.