Irritable bowel syndrome or IBS does make life uncomfortable for those suffering from the condition. It is a chronic condition although not life threatening, and can alter the lifestyle of the person suffering from this condition. The symptoms include diarrhea, constipation, farting, bloating, stooling and much more. The condition of IBS if not managed properly can become worse, where a person can have a combination of symptoms such as diarrhea and constipation together.
What Can You Do for IBS?
The cause of IBS is not yet clear, though some assumptions had been made. This makes the treatment of IBS difficult as doctors can only focus on managing the symptoms of IBS and reduce the pain and make the person more comfortable. This can lead to life changing alteration in your lifestyle, as you exercise more, change your diet, reduce and eliminate situations that might stress you. Also, you might consider changing your diet, avoiding food and drinks that will trigger the condition of IBS. You should visit the doctor if you experience any of the conditions associated with irritable bowel syndrome where you will be put under medications. These medications will help in easing the symptoms and they might include:
- Prescription of antidiarrheal drugs such as Imodium, prevalite which can help control diarrhea in IBS.
- Prescription of fiber supplements which will help control constipation in IBS.
- For those that experience pains, antidepressants medication will be prescribed.
- Antibiotics to fight bacteria.
- Aldosterone and lubiprostone which are specially approved for irritable bowel syndrome to relax colon and increase fluid secretion in the intestine.
The above are medication involved in treating IBS as prescribed by the doctor. However, they are some home remedies and therapies that can be applied to manage this condition properly. And these remedies include:
- Exercising to relieve stress and increase the heart rate and digestive condition of the intestine. Yoga is advised as with this you can manage your stress and they are some poses that aid in digestion.
- Increasing your intake of fiber content is one of the best home remedies. This will help in reducing constipation, though farting, gas and bloating may occur often. You should mix up your diet with fiber content, taking fruit and vegetable more.
- Avoiding fried meals will surely help in reducing the symptoms of IBS.
- Also if you notice that some kind of food or drink does induce the symptoms of IBs, then you should avoid those foods or drinks completely. It is known that chocolate, alcohol, dairy products might make symptoms worse and thus induce the condition. Avoid them totally when you notice how they affect your body.
- Drinking lot of water or any kind of fluid can help in this condition. In cases of constipation, fluids help in the breakdown of food and make stooling less stressful.
- You should ensure to have a regular schedule eating pattern and stick to it. This will make your system adjust to that pattern and reduce the effect of IBS by adjusting to the eating pattern.
- Avoiding stressful situation, as stress is one of the main stimulants of this condition.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): Classification and Types, Pathophysiology, Etiology, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, Investigations
- Disability Benefits For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Dangerous?
- What to Take for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is Green Tea Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is Fiber Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Are Apples Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?