IBS is the acronym for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which refers to a common disorder affecting colon or large intestine of human beings. This problem results in bloating, cramping, pain in the abdominal area, constipation and/or diarrhea. According to experts, both IBS & Constipation form chronic health conditions, which human beings have to manage on long-term basis.
What Can Cause IBS along with Constipation?
Doctors have until now failed to identify the exact cause of IBS & Constipation problem. However, they have identified many factors, which would play major role. Walls of human intestine remain present in the form of lines with muscular layers, which contract as well as relax in coordinated rhythm while the food moves from the stomach to reach at intestinal tract and later on, to the rectum.
Now, if you are an IBS-Diarrhea patient, you will experience relatively strong contractions and simultaneously, you will find the issue last for long time than in normal case leading to other problems, like gas, diarrhea and bloating. Alternatively, opposite condition of IBS & Constipation may take place in case of weaker intestinal contractions, as it would slow down passage of food items resulting in dry and hard stools.
Now, let us look on few common IBS triggers
- Food Items triggers IBS symptoms. Most of the people deal with severe symptoms when they intake specific food items. These include spices, chocolates, fats, beans, fruits, cauliflower, cabbage, milk, broccoli, alcohol and carbonated beverages.
- Stress. People dealing with distressed conditions often deal with worse signs and symptoms related to constipation and IBS problems. On the other side, ones the stress aggravates, they overcome from the problem in simple and easy way.
- Hormones. Hormones have major role in worsening the condition of IBS patients, especially in women. In fact, large numbers of women find their symptoms worse across or during their menstrual cycle.
- Bacterial Growth. Few of the other health problems in the form of acute episodes consisting of infectious diarrhea or gastroenteritis and presence of bacteria in large amount in the intestine or bacterial overgrowth play major role in triggering IBS along with constipation.
What is the Treatment for IBS & Constipation?
Special Medications for IBS & Constipation
In order to treat the problem of IBS and constipation, doctors have mentioned two special medications, as mentioned here.
- Lotronex or Alosetron: Main role of Lotronex or Alosetron is to give relaxation to the intestinal colon and to slow down the bowel movements through lower bowel.
- Lubiprostone or Amitiza: Lubiprostone or Amitiza performs its functions by boosting the speed of fluid secretion inside small intestines and thereby, allow for smooth passage of stools. The medicine suits perfectly for all women with age of 18 years or above suffering from IBS and constipation.
Other Medications for Treating IBS & Constipation
Excluding the main two medications, you may opt for few other medications to deal with the symptoms of IBS & constipation in efficient way.
- Fiber Supplements: Intake of fiber supplements in the form of methylcellulose and psyllium in combination of fluids would help in controlling of IBS & constipation.
- Antispasmodic and Anticholinergic Medications: Antispasmodic and Anticholinergic medicines available in the market in the form of Bentyl or dicyclomine and Levsin or hyoscyamine for IBS help in relieving of painful spasms and are useful for all patients, who possess diarrhea bouts.
- Antidepressant Medicines: If you find your symptoms related to IBS problem include depression or pain, your doctor may prescribe for antidepressant medicines, like tricyclic antidepressant or SSRI i.e. selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. These types of medicines help in relieving of depression problems and in inhibition of neurons' activities capable of controlling intestines. On the other side, for patients suffering from constipation, abdominal pain and diarrhea without stress or depression, doctors recommend for relatively low dosage of tricyclic antidepressants.
- Antibiotics: Few people, whose IBS symptoms become worse because of bacterial overgrowth in intestinal areas, should opt for antibiotic treatment.
- Counseling: Patients may get benefits from the counseling session in case the depression or the level of stress intends to worsen the already existing symptoms of IBS & constipation.
- Diarrhea: Causes, Symptoms, Home Remedies For Adults and Children, Prevention Tips
- What Can Cause Traveler's Diarrhea & Home Remedies to Get Rid of it
- Causes of Diarrhea after Eating Spicy Food & Ways to Prevent it
- IBS & Diarrhea: What Causes IBS Along With Diarrhea & How is it Treated?
- What is Idiopathic Diarrhea: Symptoms, Treatment Options
- Pediatric Constipation: Facts, Causes, Diagnosis
- Can Constipation Cause Back Pain?
- What is Chronic Idiopathic Constipation and How is it Treated?
- What Causes Diarrhea and Constipation at the Same Time?