There are many ways to get rid of irritable bowel syndrome symptoms but irritable bowel syndrome itself does not have a cure. The best things to do as suggested by specialists are to manage the symptoms by taking proper medication and adopting appropriate lifestyle changes.
How Do You Get Rid of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Medications to Get Rid of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
A lot of medical experts recommend laxatives for getting rid of the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Laxatives can be divided into two categories: Osmotic laxatives and stimulant laxatives. Stimulant laxatives help in movement of the stool by stimulating the contraction of muscles in the bowel. Dulcolax and Ex-Lax are the common laxatives that you can get from the market to get rid of irritable bowel syndrome. Osmotic laxatives are not available over the counter and thus you would need a proper prescription to buy them. Lactulose and Miralax are the most common brands that sell osmotic laxatives.
In case of irritable bowel syndrome, the water does not stay in the body and thus you can easily get dehydrated if you do not take proper care. Antidiarrheal medications are helpful in controlling irritable bowel syndrome by slowing down the movement of stool in the intestine. Thus, the stool stays for longer time in the intestine that allows the water to be absorbed back in the body. Common Antidiarrheals that are available in the market include Loperamide (Immodium) and Lomotil.
Antispasmodics for irritable bowel syndrome are very helpful in managing cramps and abdominal pain by relaxing the muscles of the stomach. The most commonly available antispasmodics include dicyclomine hydrochloride (Bentyl) and Mebeverine. You must take these medications about half an hour before your meal for the best results.
Antianxiety agents (benzodiazepines) are very helpful in controlling the anxiety and reducing the stress level in the body. The most common anti-anxiety agents available in the market include lorazapam (Ativan) and diazepam (Valium).
Antidepressants are necessary to suppress the release of certain chemicals that cause stress. They can be divided into two broad categories: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs).
Lifestyle Changes to Get Rid of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Lifestyle changes can help in getting rid of irritable bowel syndrome symptoms:
- Record what you ate and observe the response of the body to plan a perfect diet and get rid of irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. When you are experience irritable bowel syndrome, diet becomes an important factor. The best way to plan a perfect diet for yourself is to record everything you ate and the response of the body. This will help you determine the particular food items that you can eat and other than you need to avoid. There can some food items that may suit some but harm others. However, food items like red meat, fatty foods, ,dairy, alcohol, caffeine, artificial sweeteners must be avoided by everyone who is experiencing irritable bowel syndrome.
- Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water to get rid of irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. Water is an important constituent in our body. It is very important that we drink enough water to ensure proper functioning of our organs and organ systems. According to the experts, every person must drink eight to twelve glasses of water every day. It will not only maintain the right amount of water in the body but also help you in proper digestion.
- Another way to get rid of irritable bowel syndrome symptoms is to avoid stress. When you are experiencing irritable bowel syndrome symptoms, you need to avoid anxiety and stress as it can make the symptoms worse. You can maintain stress by indulging yourself in some particular activities that you enjoy such as listening to your favorite music or taking a walk to the nearest garden. There are lots of things that one can try to keep themselves free from stress. You need to go back to your hobbies and to keep yourself happy and busy. Do not isolate yourself. Yoga is very helpful in reducing the stress and keeping you fit both physically as well as mentally.
- Exercising is very helpful in controlling the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. When you exercise regularly, there is proper circulation of blood in the body and it helps to keep you fit. It also helps in reducing the level of stress in body. You can opt for various things like swimming, walking, riding, jogging etc… that will help you in managing the symptoms of irritable bowel. Yoga is a type of activity that you can include in your routine.
- Take psyllium fiber supplements. Psyllium fiber supplements work as a wonderful treatment option for irritable bowel syndrome symptoms.
Best Natural Remedies for Getting Rid of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Natural remedies are very good for getting rid of the signs of irritable bowel syndrome as they do not cause any side-effects in the body. One of the best natural therapies is peppermint oil. Peppermint is best taken in the form of capsules. Tea made of peppermint is a good substitute for the capsules. It improves your digestion by relaxing the muscles of digestive system. Both peppermint tea and capsules are easily available in the market.
There are some more natural remedies like chamomile; artichoke leaves extract and funnel see that work very well for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Chamomile is easily available in the market in to the form of capsule and tablets. It also works like an antispasmodic, thus improving the digestion of food. However, you need to be careful after taking chamomile because of its sedative nature.
Artichoke leaves extract (ALE) is available in the form of capsule and tablet. It is helpful in getting rid of the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome such as constipation, bloating, gas and pain in stomach. It is a very good treatment natural treatment option. Similarly, fennel seeds have wonderful antispasmodic properties. They improve you digestion by stimulating the release of gastric liquids. The use of fennel seeds prevents the occurrence of irritable bowel syndrome symptoms like gas and bloating. You can get fennel seeds in any of the local stores. It can be taken in the form of tea by boiling the seeds in some water. You can also add fennel seeds in some food items like pizza if you like the taste.
- Can Irritable Bowel Syndrome Affect Your Bladder?
- What is Bladder Pain Syndrome or Interstitial Cystitis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Complications
- Can Stress and Anxiety Cause Bowel Problems?
- Can You have Fever with Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Can You Lose Weight with Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Lifelong & How to Cope With it?