To understand the relation between green tea and irritable bowel syndrome and to confirm if green tea is useful for patients suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, a review of green tea and its various subtypes may be enlightening and informative. Let us see the reasons behind the mixed reviews about the usefulness of green tea for irritable bowel syndrome:
Is Green Tea Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
The Drawbacks of Using Green Tea for Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
Your stomach is already in pain due to irritable bowel syndrome and you would not want to trouble it more and cause irritation with taking in caffeine. Rather you should do something that would soothe your gut and relax you from the irritation. Consume things while keeping in mind that your gut needs to soothe and rest to heal soon.
The Good Things of Using Green Tea for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
One of the major content of green tea is anti-inflammatory properties which may help your stomach to heal from the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Therefore in order to take in green tea, de-caffeinate it and then consume it while it is hot since hot green tea is much more helpful than when it is cold. Since we are warm blooded in nature, our body can easily take in substances which are of similar temperature. Hence, while you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, taking in hot or luke warm substances is much easier than taking in cold fluids. Also when you take in cold fluids, your body generates the heat to warm up the fluid to body temperature. While you are ill, you need all the core energy to help you heal which gets spent in warning up the cold fluids and you may become weaker.
How Much Green Tea is Good & When to Take Green Tea for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
You should inculcate a habit of drinking a lot of water daily. You must take in green tea that is de-caffeinated at once or twice a day, once during the morning and once during the evening.
Since we all know that our body consists of 55% to 75% of water we should drink a lot of water daily. The water helps to keep our system clean by washing of the toxins and waste. Therefore our body becomes more effective.
It is important for patients of irritable bowel syndrome to not drink more than 8 cups of water a day (unless you are in a hot climate and you need more water) to prevent the minerals in your body to be washed out too along with the toxins, you should also maintain a balance between the consumption of green tea and your ailment due to irritable bowel syndrome.
- International Foundation for Gastrointestinal Disorders – Understanding Irritable Bowel Syndrome: https://www.aboutibs.org/
- Mayo Clinic – Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20360016
- NCBI – Antioxidants of the Beverage Tea in Promotion of Human Health: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4055352/
- Green Tea For Brain Cell Production- EGCG Improves Memory, Cognitive Behavior
- Green Tea For Your Health Benefits, Recipe, Side Effects, Tea Bag Use
- Green Tea: Can It Help Boost Your Memory?
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): Classification and Types, Pathophysiology, Etiology, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, Investigations
- What Can You Eat If You Have IBS?
- Disability Benefits For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Dangerous?
- Can Irritable Bowel Syndrome Cause Lower Back Pain|Treatment for IBS Induced Lower Back Pain
- What to Take for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is Fiber Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Are Apples Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is Alcohol Bad for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- How Do You Get Rid of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Best Beverages to Drink for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Is There a Cure for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Can Irritable Bowel Syndrome Come and Go?|What Does Low FODMAP Diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Involve?
- Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Lifelong & How to Cope With it?
- Do Probiotics Help Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Are Avocados Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- How Long Does Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms Last?