Osgood-Schlatter disease is instigated by too much strain on the muscles and tendons that sustain the knee. This condition happens regularly in teenagers who are encountering development spurts when the bone can develop more rapidly than the appended ligament. This causes snugness that outcomes in weight on the bone, ligament or ligaments when bouncing and running.
Can A Chiropractor Help With Osgood Schlatter?
As demonstrated by several players, chiropractic care helps lessen the odds of one getting damaged. And indeed, the routine also improves the body to repair fast from both minor and major injuries. Sports chiropractic (or chiropractic sports medicine) is a fairly innovative subspecialty in the area of chiropractic treatment. They are extremely skilled and very experienced professionals of chiropractic medicine that has developed expertise in both the restraint and treatment of the sports-related injury.
Sports chiropractors will provide you with both hands-on treatments and rehab exercises to achieve the following goals.
Reduce Your Knee Symptoms (Pain): This is one of the most common symptoms of Osgood Schlatter. They cause pain or tenderness around the knee which is very painful with a bony bump.
Improve Your Knee Function (What You Can Do)- Strengthening the knee muscles and boosting the muscle strength stabilizes the knee joint. This is usually done by strengthening exercises and mobility activities that can relieve pain and improve the joint condition.
Educate you on how to help yourself (self-management is vital).1,2
The chiropractors will perform a biomechanical analysis of all the muscles and the joints of the lower limb, the spine, and pelvic joints. X-rays and/or MRI scans can assist to rule out more severe effects in unrelenting discomfort.
Chiropractic therapy consists of rest & ice until the warning sign subside. Manual treatments, for example, cross friction and PIR extending may also be used to help aid the problem. Low-level laser therapy is especially beneficial in lessening infection and speeding up the healing time.
When the side effects die down, extending and fortifying activities of the quadriceps, hamstring and lower leg muscles can be begun. Despite the fact that the side effects of Osgood-Schlatter’s might be available for quite a long time, most cases are best treated comprehensively; medical procedure or cortisone infusions are only from time to time vital.3
How Long Should You Rest For Osgood Schlatter?
Symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disorder typically disappear when the child stops growing. This is usually 5 months to 2 years after your child begins experiencing symptoms. Your child may require relaxing or do events that don’t trigger knee pain. Your child will constantly have a bump even after the soreness has subsided.
But if running triggers a limp, the child should stop and rest. Rest is important in the management of Osgood Schlatter disease and it usually goes away with time and rest. The doctor may advise that the child take a break from the sport that acts as an underlying cause triggering the pain. The child may be asked to rest from all physical activities (as long as 2-4 months) until the person is feeling better. When the pain is improved, you can attempt the action again.
The untreated condition can last for months or years. A physical psychotherapist can educate your child activities to stretch out the thigh’s quadriceps, which can assist lessen the tension where the kneecap (patella) tendon connects to the shinbone. Patients may participate in sports as long as the pain resolves with rest.4,5
- Osgood-Schlatter’s Syndrome and Chiropractic Treatment https://www.isischiropractic.co.uk/chiropractic_osgood-schlatter_syndrome.html
- What is Osgood Schlatter Disease? Premier Sports and Spine Center https://premiersportsandspine.com/osgood-schlatter/
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease – Family Sports Chiropractor https://neurohealthchiro.com.au/osgood-schlatter-disease/
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease Teens health from Nemours https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/osgood.html
- Osgood-Schlatter disease – Diagnosis and treatment – Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osgood-schlatter-disease/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354869
- Exercises for Patellar Tendonitis or Jumper’s Knee
- Patellar Tendinitis or Jumper’s Knee: Symptoms, Grades, Treatment- Knee Support
- Recovery Period & Yoga Poses for Patellar Tendonitis or Jumper’s Knee
- How To Diagnose Osgood Schlatter & What Is The Best Medicine For It?
- Are Knee Braces Of Any Help For Osgood-Schlatter?
- What is Osgood-Schlatter Disease, Know its Symptoms, Treatment
- How Long Does It Take For Osgood Schlatter To Go Away?
- Can Osgood Schlatter Cause Problems Later In Life & Does It Require Surgery?
- Can You Play Sports With Osgood Schlatter Disease & Coping Methods For It?
- Does A Knee Brace Help Osgood Schlatter & Can You Squat When You Have It?
- Is Osgood Schlatter Disease Genetic & Does Osgood Schlatter’s Mean I Am Still Growing?