The causes and the effects of depression may vary from individual to individual, but the signs as well as symptoms may be commonly seen. It is important to consider that the manifestation can be a part of person’s normal emotional instances. However, the more signs and symptoms are observed, the more they become grave, the more they last- the more are your chances of suffering from depression. When these signs are devastating and disturbing, it is time for you to request guidance from a medical practitioner.
Major Signs and Symptoms of Depression Comprise of:
- Vulnerable feelings that are filled with hopelessness. An austere outlook towards life that nothing is going to be better or you can never improve the situation that you are facing.
- Low interest in completing the daily chores. Lack of interest in social activities, pastimes, sex and hobbies. The ability to feel pleasure and joy are lost.
- Changes in weight or appetite. A sudden weight gain or weight loss or changes in weight by 5% in 4 to 5 weeks or so.
- Changes in sleeping pattern. Insomnia or waking up early in the morning or hypersomnia can also be a cause.
- Rage or irritability. Feeling of violence, agitation or restlessness. This will be often assisted by short temper, low tolerance level or intensely nerve wrecking feelings.
- Energy loss. Feeling physically drained, fatigued or sluggish. The entire body may become on the heavier side and smaller tasks can seem too long to complete which can cause exhaustion.
- Feeling of being self-hatred. You will constantly keep on criticizing yourself for the faults and will have a guilty conscience at all times.
- Uncontrolled behavior. You might engage in escapism and be prone to compulsive gambling, dangerous sports, substance abuse and reckless driving.
- Trouble in concentration. You may find it difficult to focus or concentrate on various things.
- Sudden pains and aches that cannot be explained. You may complain about stomach pain, headaches, aching muscles or back pain.
The Different Aspects of Depression / Distress / Worry
Depression may look different in men and women, in youngsters as well as in adults. Having an understanding about the differences can help you in getting the right treatment approach.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression in a Man
Depression is like a loaded gun for every person. Many deal with it in a wrong way that can be considered as a sign of instability or emotional abuse. This is the most common case with women and depressed men do not really speak about their self-loathing feelings and are more prone to suffering. On the other hand, they will grumble about insomnia, fatigue, loss of enthusiasm, irritability and lack of energy. Some other signs may involve aggression, reckless behavior, anger, substance abuse and violence. Even though the rate of depression in men is less as compared to women, yet men are at a higher risk of committing suicide notably in elder men.
Symptoms of Depression in Women
Women are subjected to develop depression more as compared to men. This is due to various hormonal factors especially when it is about perimenopausal depression, premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), postpartum depression and premenstrual syndrome (PMS). When compared with the signs with men, women are highly capable to experiencing the guilty feelings, weight gain, hypersomnia and overeating.
Signs of Depression in Teenagers
Some teens tend to look sad when they are depressed, while others don’t. The symptoms of irritability are more prominent that depression in the case of adolescents and teenagers. A depressed adolescent can be grumpy, hostile or may lose their temperament at times. Sometimes, it may be associated with pains and aches that are unexplained as well.
When left without any treatments, the depression in the teenagers can point to huge problems in school and daily life. It may also lead to self-loathing and other irreversible diversity such as suicide or homicidal violence.
Depression Signs and Symptoms among Older Adults
Situations that are faced by older adults can be difficult to handle and these are loss of independence, sadness and various health problems that can cause depression without any strong support system. Older people often complain about physical difficulties rather than emotional disturbances like depression or any other associated symptoms. The issues that are seen sometimes cannot be recognized and often relates to high rates of mortality, suicide risks. This is why; it is important to get treatment and diagnose the problem in the initial stages.
The Effect of Depression on Personal Relationships
Depression is a type of ailment that is often judged by its nature and can affect the relationship, which can make it hard for one to follow. Relationships often sustain on communication and depression often spoils all of it. Depression often affects the communication and is the primary casualty of depression. People who are depressed often lose the energy to maintain the communication.
Expense of Depression on Personal Relationships
Depression can take various forms and they can vary from one individual to another along with its severity. Some people may also lash out on friends or those who are closest to them. Irritability, overwhelming sadness, anger and uncontrollable crying or any other emotion may show during a depression episode.
Some people just withdraw from the situation and will often lack a positive attitude towards life. They often lack the ability to enjoy and look at life in a positive way. They are often surrounded by negative emotion that is dark.
The response of depression may vary depending on men and women. Men tend to show their depression through anger and can be abusive at times. Women, on the other hand, are likely to soak away in despair and sadness. The people who are depressed are more likely to do such things that normal people do not do.
It is imperative for a healthy person to realize that these behaviors on a personal basis. Despite what a person speaks, a normal partner should understand that this is just a matter of time and requires proper treatment to recover from depression at a faster rate.
It is also important for one to keep on speaking to the loved ones. This is only a single way to get encouraged and keep up the expectations realistically. Encourage the partners to follow a healthy diet and an exercise routine or socialize with other people. Try avoiding nagging and criticism.
It is always essential to understand that a depressed person is not in his true senses. The recovery is never quick and even with proper treatment; it can be at times difficult to deal with the situation at a point of time.
What Can You Do if You Are a Victim of Depression?
If you are suffering from depression, it is crucial for you as well as your dear ones to understand that it is not your fault that you are suffering from it. Depression is a type of medical disorder and not weakness. People who do not have an idea about depression may often react to criticism and anger. It is observed that people often do not realize that the explaining about depression to their partner can often be really helpful and the partner can understand the right cause of its occurrence.
The following tips will help in understanding about communicating with the depression sufferers:
- Learn to speak about your feelings. By holding the feelings inside, it will lead to more depression.
- Showcase you care in the best way. Even though you are depressed, let your loved ones know that you care about them.
- Consider taking a family therapy or couples therapy at times. This will help you in understanding the right cause of the problems and effective ways to tackle them along with your partner.
- Set examples that are realistic and help your family members in understanding the situation perfectly. This will only assist in lending positive outcome out of treatment that you are seeking and help in handling the emotional imbalances as well.
How Can You Get Help From Your Loved Ones or Friends?
Loved ones can provide support if you are in depression. Let the people who care about you, know about depression completely. By explaining the condition in the right way, you will in turn build a bridge that will help in understanding the situation in a better way. You can ask your loved ones to:
- Offer support and an optimistic understanding.
- Offer you an invitation to socialize and exercising in groups as well.
- Understand that depression takes time to heal and they should not ask you to snap out of the situation instantly.
- Actively participate in your recovery plan. You may be overwhelmed at times, but ask them to keep you encouraged in proceeding with the treatment and recover at your own pace.
- Avoid ignorance towards a particular event or situation. Even if you do so, the loved ones should speak and address to it by consulting your therapist.
The difficulties in a relationship can be overcome if you help your loved ones and friends in understanding that depression is a condition that takes time to heal.
- Depression in Teenagers: Signs, Coping Tips, Recovery Techniques
- Causes of Irrational Mood Swings in Teenagers & its Symptoms
- Depression in College Students and What can Parents do About it?
- Effects & Side Effects of Depression