Brilinta also known as ticagrelor is an effective drug that helps in preventing blood platelets from sticking with each other, which in turn forms a clot. Critical heart or blood vessel conditions are the main causes that lead to formation of blood clot.
Effectiveness of Brilinta in Preventing the Formation of Blood Clot
Brilinta effectively helps in reducing the risk of different severe heart problems such as stroke to a considerable extent by preventing the formation of blood clot. Brilinta medicine is prescribed to patient who complain chest pain or who had just experienced a heart attack.
People suffering from liver disorder should strictly avoid intake of Brilinta. Also, people undergoing any sort of bleeding (bleeding to stomach ulcer) or have a medical history of having bleeding in brain should also avoid the intake of Brilinta. Doctors suggest that the patient undergoing heart bypass surgery should be restricted from this medicine.
Use of this medication needs to be stopped for some time before any sort of surgery to prevent excess blood loss. One should never make the mistake of stopping the intake of this medicine before consulting with about the same with a registered doctor. This is so because stopping Brilinta can seriously increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.
As Brilinta increases the risk of bleeding, which can be life threatening; hence, the patient taking this medicine should take very good care of themselves and avoid any activity that has any possibility of getting injured.
Do not waste any time if you feel that bleeding caused due to any reason is not getting stopped. In this situation, the patient needs emergency medical help. Bleeding is not always visible, such as internal bleeding in stomach or in intestine. Some of the common indications of bleeding in digestive tract include:
- Red or black color stools.
- Pink or red urine.
- Coughing/vomiting blood.
- There are many medicines, which if taken with Brilinta can cause serious health problems. Hence, it is advised to clearly inform doctor about all the medicines you are taking before taking this medicine.
Safety and Side Effects of Brilinta in Preventing the Formation of Blood Clot:
The use of Brilinta is safe in the prevention of blood clot formation, but still it has some ill effects. Some of the common side effects of Brilinta are:
Patient having any of the below issues should not take Brilinta:
- If you are allergic to ticagrelor.
- Liver disease.
- Bleeding or stomach ulcer.
- Any other type of bleeding.
- History of having bleeding in brain.
One should stop intake of this medicine minimum 5 days before heart bypass surgery or any other surgery as it increases the risk of excess blood loss during surgery. In order to ensure that the intake of Brilinta is completely safe for you, discuss with the doctor if you have any of the below mentioned problem.
- Heart disorder.
- Asthma or breathing disorder.
- COPD i.e., chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder.
- History of having stroke in the past.
- History of internal bleeding or blood clotting issue.
- Stomach ulcer.
Does the Intake of Brilinta Have Any Effect on Unborn Baby?
Although it is not known that whether intake of this medicine has any adverse effect on unborn, but still it is suggested that one should tell the doctor if she is pregnant or planning a baby anytime soon.
Till date it is not sure that whether Brilinta has adverse effect on the unborn babies. Hence, it is better to reveal it to the doctor if you are pregnant. Same is true for breast feeding mothers, hence doctors ensure that medicine taken by nursing mother should not harm the baby.
What is the Recommended Dosage of Brilinta?
Initially the treatment starts with 90 mg tablet twice a day. Total dosage of Brilinta should not exceed more than 180 mg in one day. After the initial medication is done patient is prescribed to take 35 mg of aspirin. With time the dose of aspirin can vary between 75 to 100 mg per day.
In case the maintenance doses increases beyond 100 mg, then it considerably decreases the effect of Brilinta, hence dosage should not exceed 100 mg a day.
One should immediately take medical help if he/she is found allergic to Brilinta, experience difficulty in breathing or uneven swelling on lips, throat, lip and face. Consult a doctor immediately if any of the below symptoms are experienced:
- Bleeding from nose or from any other place that does not stop easily.
- Red or purple color spots below the skin.
- Pink or red color urine.
- Fever or jaundice.
- Pale skin color.
- Weakness or fatigue.
- Symptoms of stroke, such as severe headache, sudden weakness, problem with vision and so on.
- Symptoms of heart attack, such as chest pain, sweating, nausea.
- Blood Clot in Eye: Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, Home Remedies
- Blood Clot in Arm: Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedies, Exercises
- Causes of Blood Clot in Calf & its Symptoms, Treatment
- Does the Human Body Possess The Ability To Cure The Blood Clots?
- Can I Get in a Hot Tub With a Blood Clot?