Blood Clot in Eye: Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, Home Remedies
Sometimes there occurs a sudden spontaneous red colored patch or spot in the eye which can be identified as a blood clot in the eye. This blood clot in the eye is actually a condition where there is a bleeding underneath the conjunctiva or the outer most protective coating of the eyeball in the eye. Usually blood clots in eye gradually change color and disappear. However, there are some blood clots in eye which are caused due to major injuries which can be painful and requires to be treated. In the current article we will know about the basic causes, symptoms, treatments and the basic home remedies for blood clots in eye.
Overview on Blood Clot in Eye:
- A red colored patch or spot on the white portion of the eye which generally appears as a sudden spontaneous patch and may shift the position, is known as blood clot in the eye.
- Medically, blood clot in the eye is known as Subconjunctival hemorrhage or Hyposphagma.
- The white of our eye is covered by Conjunctiva which is a thin film containing many blood vessels and nerves. Conjunctiva is actually the outermost covering of the eyeball. The blood vessels present behind eyes are very much delicate and any accidental injury to the eye can rupture the blood vessels leading to a red blood clot in the eye.
- Gradually blood clots in eye disappear. However, at times where there is any serious injury which may cause painful symptoms in the eye due to the blood clots formed, requires treatments. If not treated on time, these painful blood clots in the eye can lead to a blurred vision or reduce the eye sight.
- It must also be informed that blood clots are also formed in the newborn babies in common, due to the pressure changes in the infant's body during the time of childbirth.
Causes of Blood Clot in Eye:
As we already mentioned earlier that blood clots in eye are mostly formed due to an eye injury. However, apart from this there are some other causes for blood clots in eye. Let us take a note on some of them below.
- Excessive strain on eye
- Diabetes mellitus
- High blood pressure
- Over stress
- Excessive sneezing or coughing
- Certain medications like Blood thinners when taken in excess can lead to blood clot in eye.
- There are some rare causes for blood clots in eye which include blood clotting disorders, deficiency in Vitamin K eye and also some severe eye infections.
Symptoms of Blood Clot in Eye:
Usually, there are no major symptoms associated with blood clots in the eye, except a red spot or patch on the white portion of the eye. However some of the less common symptoms may include the following.
- Discomfort in the eye like itchiness or eye irritation
- Pain in the eye
- Blurry vision
- Sense of fullness in the eye or under the eyelid.
Diagnosis of Blood Clot in Eye:
It is essential to have proper diagnosis in blood clots of the eye which cause pain, severe irritation or in case the symptoms do not disappear in few days. Diagnosis to check for the presence of blood clots in the eye usually includes the following tests.
- CT scan or Computed Tomography; which is a special technique that make use of a computer to combine many x-ray images in to a detailed image of an area body that is around 100 time clearer than a regular X- ray
- MRI or Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- ECGs or Electro cardiograms
Treatment for Blood Clot in Eye:
As mentioned earlier that blood clots in eye usually do not require serious treatments until and unless you experience a symptom of painful blood clots, change in vision or persistent red patch in the eye; which definitely requires a serious medical attention from an expert ophthalmologist. So, in case you experience any such serious symptoms in the condition of blood clot in eye then make sure you reach a medical professional specialized in eye conditions, and follow up with the diagnosis and the prescribed treatments for the same.
In case of any mild symptoms of blood clots in eye, you can visit a doctor and ask for some lubrication like artificial tears for soothing the eyes. Make sure not to rub your eyes which can increase the risk of re-bleeding and making the condition of blood clot in eye still worse.
Home Remedies for Blood Clots in Eye:
Some of the simple home remedies for Blood clots in eye are listed below:
- Heat treatments are known to be effective in getting relief from eye irritation due to blood clots in eye. You can place a hot compress over the eyelid to provide relief to your eye.
- Ice or cold treatments can also keep you relaxed from the irritation in eye during blood clots in the eye. Put some ice cubes in a cloth and keep it on your eye.
- You can also soak a towel in warm water and keep it on your eyelids. By repeating this for around 6-8 times a day, you can relieve the eye pain or irritation in blood clots in eye condition.
- Cucumber can also relieve some pain and irritation in the eye if you have the symptoms of blood clots in eye. Simply placing some slices of cucumber on your eyelids to soothe them is what you need to do
- It is also known that one of the simple home remedies for blood clots in eye is eating 4-5 cloves of garlic every day. This helps in dissolving the blood clot that has formed in the eye. The presence of anticoagulant in garlic makes it a wonderful aid to break down the blood clots in eye.
- Putting a few drops of rose water in the eyes can also cool and clean your eyes to bring some relief in blood clots
- The muscles around the eyes can be rejuvenated in an effective way by performing certain exercises for the eyes. However, care must be taken not to strain your eyes.
- You must avoid working in front of a computer or watching television or undertaking any such activity that can strain your eye.
Remember, most blood clots in eyes are harmless and the symptoms can disappear in few days. It is essential for you to rest your eyes and avoid doing all things that can be negative on your eyes or put excess of pressure on them.
However, in case of serious symptoms of pain, irritation or persistent redness in eye due to the blood clot; make sure to reach an expert ophthalmologist without fail and get properly diagnosed and effectively treated.
- Blood Clot in Arm: Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedies, Exercises
- Causes of Blood Clot in Calf & its Symptoms, Treatment
- Effectiveness and Side Effects of Brilinta in Preventing the Formation of Blood Clot
- Does the Human Body Possess The Ability To Cure The Blood Clots?
- Can I Get in a Hot Tub With a Blood Clot?