Morning sickness affects the overall health of pregnant women. The severe form of the condition is known as hyperemesis gravidarum. Various strategies are available to manage the morning sickness that lasts all day.
What Helps Morning Sickness That Lasts All Day?
The condition of morning sickness severely impacts the health of the patient, on all the formats viz. mental, physical and emotional. Further, it also negatively affects the healthy development of the fetus. Thus, the management of the condition is essential and if the severe symptoms persist for a longer duration, immediate medical intervention should be done. Following are the preventive and treatment measure that helps morning sickness.
Rest. Proper rest is advised to the patient suffering from morning sickness. Rest is necessary to regain energy and helps to alleviate weakness and fatigue.
Plenty Of Fluids. Plenty of water and juice is recommended to reduce the symptoms.
Stay Away From Irritating Odor. The women should stay away from the irritating odor that triggers the symptoms of morning sickness. The soothing aroma should be dispersed in the bedroom for a stress-free environment.
Healthy Diet. Healthy diet is one of the primary requisites for the development of a healthy baby. Also, a healthy diet also makes women strong to tolerate hormonal changes during pregnancy. Hormonal changes are known to be the primary cause of morning sickness.
Herbal Tea. Various herbal tea such as chamomile reduces the incidence of morning sickness due to their antioxidant properties.
Loose Clothes. Pregnancy requires proper circulation of the blood. Thus, pregnant women should wear loose and comfortable clothes. This may allow the exchange of fresh air and helps to relieve the symptoms of nausea and vomiting.
Medications. Various medications, both prescription and over-the-counter drugs, are used to manage the symptoms of morning sickness. Medications include anti-emetic drugs, acid reflux drugs or antacids, and various motion sickness patches such as scopolamine patches.
Exercise And Yoga. Exercise and yoga can also be done to strengthen the psychological health. However, exercise should be under only under the strict guidance of a trainer who is an expert in pregnancy exercises to prevent any harm to the fetus.
Favorite Activities. The woman should engage herself in the activities which divert her mind from the physical condition. The women should also engage socially to remain stress-free and cheerful.
Breakfast. Breakfast is the lifeline, when it comes to reduction in morning sickness as increased acidity due to the empty stomach may cause irritation and increases vomiting. The breakfast should preferably be taken in bed.
Alternate Therapy. Alternative therapies such as acupressure also results in the reduction in incidences of nausea and vomiting. Sea bands and stretchy bracelets can be used to put the pressure on the nerves.
Eating Habits. The patient suffering from morning sickness should change the eating patterns. The patient is advised not to overheat. The patient should eat in small quantities with frequent meals. This will allow the stomach to digest foods and reduced symptoms would be the result.
Natural Way. Various natural ingredients are all helpful in managing the condition of morning sickness. These may include lemon, ginger, and mint.
Morning sickness is the condition characterizes by the presence of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. The exact cause of the condition is not known but the condition may be caused due to hormonal alterations, compromised immune system in pregnancy and reduced blood sugar. The symptoms of morning sickness include nausea, vomiting, dehydration, loss of appetite, weight loss or failed to gain weight, weakness, fatigue or tiredness, reduced urination frequency, Although the term indicates that this condition occurs in morning, but the practical approach indicates that it may occur at any time of the day. Exclusionary diagnosis should be done in this condition to excuse other conditions such as flu that causes similar symptoms.
The management of morning sickness can be done through changing eating habits, acupressure, taking breakfast, herbal tea, yoga and meditation, wearing loose clothes, staying away from irritating odors, and medications.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). (2019). Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy. https://www.acog.org/womens-health/faqs/nausea-and-vomiting-of-pregnancy
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Morning Sickness: Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/morning-sickness/symptoms-causes/syc-20375254
- National Health Service (NHS). (2021). Morning Sickness and Nausea in Pregnancy. https://www.nhs.uk/pregnancy/related-conditions/common-symptoms/morning-sickness-nausea/
- American Pregnancy Association. (2021). Morning Sickness Remedies. https://americanpregnancy.org/healthy-pregnancy/pregnancy-health-wellness/morning-sickness-remedies/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2020). Pregnancy Nausea and Vomiting. https://www.cdc.gov/pregnancy/you-are-pregnant/nvp.html
- Home Remedies For Morning Sickness
- Can You Get Morning Sickness Before A Positive Pregnancy Test?
- Natural Remedies For Morning Sickness
- How Do I Know If I Have Morning Sickness?
- Do You Feel Better After Throwing Up Morning Sickness?
- Is It Bad If I Don’t Get Morning Sickness?
- What Is The Best Medicine For Morning Sickness?