Can Cheese Help Lose Weight?
Cheese is a nutrient-rich food and can be included in the weight loss diet. Most of us stay away from it when trying to shed off those extra kilos from our body weight.
But, what most of us are not aware of is, that cheese can actually help us lose weight if eaten right. The high protein content of cheese helps in keeping us full for a longer period of time, preventing unnecessary binging on unhealthy food.
A study also shows that consuming high-fat dairy products such as cheese lowers the body mass index and cholesterol level(1, 2).
How Does Cheese Intake Help Lose Weight?
Cheese helps keep a check on the weight gain due to the nutrients present in it.
Protein Helps Keep You Full: Cheese is rich in proteins, and if included in the diet gives a good contribution to the daily protein intake.
Along with fulfilling the protein requirement, it aids weight loss as it slows down the movement of food down the intestine, keeping you full for a longer period of time.
A high protein intake boosts metabolism and also reduces appetite and changes the weight-regulating hormones(3).
- Cheese Helps Meets The Calcium Needs Of The Body: Low dietary calcium is associated with the risk of being overweight. A study showed a diet rich in dairy calcium enhances weight reduction in type 2 diabetic patients(4). One more study suggests that higher dairy calcium intake is related to diet-induced weight loss (5).
- Cheese is rich in calcium, with parmesan cheese being the richest with 331mg or 33% of RDI per ounce (28 grams)(6). This helps fulfil the daily dietary calcium requirement and plays a role in aiding weight loss.
- Other Nutrients: Being a dairy products cheese serves us with vitamin A, Vitamin B12, and potassium. All of these help in keeping the red blood cell count in range and maintain healthy nerves. It can also be a good choice for a low-carb diet.
- Cheese is rich in saturated fats which can raise the cholesterol levels in the body. To avoid it, low fat or fat-free cheese should be consumed. Cheese also contains high sodium level. It is therefore advisable to check the label before buying it. The Sodium content of different kind of cheese varies and can range from 16 mg per serving to 500 mg per serving.
Easy Ways To Include Cheese In The Diet
If we know how to eat cheese the right way, we can actually enjoy it daily.
Replace Mayonnaise With Cheese
- If you are amongst those who love spreading mayonnaise over your sandwich, cheese is a better option instead.
- One tablespoon of mayonnaise contains 95 calories and 10-grams fat(7). And one tablespoon of whipped cream cheese contains 35 calories and 3.4 gram of fat, which is way less than the regular mayonnaise(8).
- This small change can bring down the calorie intake and also fulfill the calcium and protein need of the body.
Use Feta Cheese In Salads And Pizza
Feta cheese is lower in calorie when compare with the cheddar or parmesan variety. One ounce of cheddar or parmesan contains more than 110 calories and 7 grams of fat, whereas, an ounce of feta contains 74 calories and 6-grams of fat(9, 10).
Feta cheese is a low-calorie and a low-fat cheese. It is also a good source of vitamin B, calcium, and phosphorus.
It can be added to salads and pizzas as well. Therefore, now there is no need to turn away from pizza when on a weight losing spree.
Cottage Cheese For A Healthy Life
Cottage cheese or paneer is a very good source of protein. You can add it to a bowl of fresh fruits and eat it for breakfast. It helps you keep full for longer and prevent eating in-between junk meals.
Snack on Mozzarella, Not Potato Chips
Even if you indulge in an ounce of fresh mozzarella cheese you will take in 85 calories which is much less than what snacking on those potato chips bags give. Moreover, it will also give you 6gram of filling protein.
People who eat high-protein, moderate-calorie cheese snack, eat less in their next meal.
We have to consider the pattern or how we consume food, and not just the nutrients present in it. What really puts an impact on our metabolic health is the overall pattern in which the food is consumed. Make healthy choices and enjoy their benefits.