What are Tissue Salts?
Tissue salts are the minerals such as rock salt that are prepared using the homeopathic method. They regulate the cell’s mineral level and support the body’s health and healing process. Tissue salts were developed by Wilhelm Schussler, a German homeopathic doctor. He believed that tissue salts are capable of restoring mineral deficiencies that make bodies susceptible to illness.
12 Primary Tissue Salts
There are 12 main types of tissue salts, each of which are claimed by the practitioners to offer diverse benefits of putting the body into balance.
- Calcarea Flour: This tissue salt is known to strengthen tooth enamel, strengthen bones, restore tissue elasticity, ease hemorrhoids, and help in hernia pain.
- Calcarea Phos: Calcarea Phos helps in restoring cells, healing fractures, and helping the digestive system.
- Calcarea Sulph: It helps in purifying blood, reducing infection, treating skin disorders such as acne, and preventing sore throats and cold.
- Ferrum Phos: It is anti-inflammatory, reduces fever, accelerates healing, and reduces bleeding.
- Kali Mur: Kali Mur helps purify the blood, treat infection, reduces swelling, and aid digestion.
- Kali Phos: Kali Phos helps the body by supporting nerve health, lessening anxiety, irritability, and fatigue, aiding memory, and relieving headaches.
- Kali Sulph: Kali Sulph helps by healing mucous membranes, healing skin, balancing metabolism, and conditioning the pancreas.
- Mag Phos: Mag Phos eases cramps, eases pain, reduces spasms, and relieves tension headaches.
- Nat Mur: Nat Mur helps in balancing bodily fluids, reducing water retention, aiding digestion, and treating eczema.
- Nat Phos: This tissue salt neutralizes acidity, relieves seasickness, treats arthritis, and aids digestion.
- Nat Sulph: Nat Sulph helps in cleaning the pancreas, kidney, liver and treating cold and flu.
- Silica: It helps in conditioning skin, connective tissue, cleaning blood, and strengthening hair and nails.
Are Tissue Salts Effective?
Most of the proofs of homeopathic medications are anecdotal with very little scientific research to support these proofs.
Scientists quote that the amount of mineral present in homeopathic medicine is very low to impact the body positively or negatively.
The National Institute of Health indicates avoiding using homeopathic medicines as an alternative to proven conventional care for medical problems.(1)
How to Use Tissue Salts?
Tissue salts are available as lactose tablets and have a very small amount of the chosen tissue salt. These tablets should not be swallowed but can be dissolved under the tongue.
They come in other forms as well, such as creams, gels, and ointments.
These are used by the practitioner in combination or alone to treat more than one health condition.
Side Effects of Tissue Salts
The amount of minerals used in homeopathic medicine is too small. Therefore, the risk of side effects is minimal.
The homeopathic medical system is based on two primary theories:
- Like cures like: A disease can be cured by a substance that can produce similar symptoms in a healthy person.
- Law of minimum dose: Lower the dose greater is the effectiveness of the medicine and its action on the body.
The tissue salts can be useful in addressing a variety of health issues, but none are supported by scientific research. The concept of a very small amount, curing a disease is not supported by the scientific community.
However, there is no harm in trying it. If planning to start with any homeopathic medicine, it is always good to consult a physician with expertise in the same.