Homeopathic Approach To Knee Osteoarthritis
The painful cracking of your knee joints can be really annoying. Osteoarthritis of the knee joints truly hurts and only the one who suffers can understand it. But not anymore! Homeopathy aims to provide you with the relief you deserve.
Knee osteoarthritis (OA) is a painful condition, occurring mostly due to wear and tear of the knee joints, especially with aging. Sometimes, it may also result from an injury, when it is called as secondary osteoarthritis. As the knee joints bear the weight of your body, this may be more troublesome than ever. The surrounding muscles and soft tissues can also get tensed and can cause more pain. When the joint continues to bear weight with extensive movement and without proper treatment, it progresses to changes in the shape of the joint and may appear bent.
Symptoms of Knee Osteoarthritis or Knee OA
Usually, in Knee Osteoarthritis or Knee OA, there is severe pain in the knee joints, which often worsens with stiffness. There may be associated swelling of the joints, which gives the joints a puffy appearance.
- Stiffness is more when the joint is rested for a long time or remains in a bent position; when sitting. Sometimes, cracking sound is heard on moving the joint.
- There is intense pain when you begin to move initially or when the joint is first moved. The pain slowly decreases with continued movement within limits.
Role of Homeopathy In Treating Knee Osteoarthritis or Knee OA
Knee osteoarthritis or Knee OA, being a degenerative condition, is also influenced by your inner driving force, which Homeopathy believes in. When this force is affected, it may result into such physical complaints. Emotional disturbances, over work and stress can add to the pain and also progress the condition. These factors generally depend on your constitution and reaction to environment.
Homeopathy treats you as a whole and focuses on individualization. Homeopathic case taking analyses your physical and mental constitution. It considers your individual tendencies such as over sensitivity, muscle weakness, over straining, repeated falls.
If there is a deficiency or an imbalance of essential minerals like calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, silica and magnesium it can lead to early degenerative changes in the bones. Homeopathic treatment aims at providing these minerals and arresting further damage to the bones. Homeopathic treatment can help to reduce the severity of symptoms and improve your range of motion.
Homeopathic Treatment For Knee Osteoarthritis or Knee OA
Some Of The Well Established Homeopathic Remedies That Have Proved Beneficial Include:
- Arnica - History of injuries, falls or bruises. When patient feels sore and bruised all over and is oversensitive to pain. Everything seems hard and painful and often changes position to find a comfortable place. Pain is worse from slightest touch and motion and better by lying down.
- Calcarea Flour- Complaints from malnutrition of bones and changes in weather. When there is enlargement or growth on bones; may be associated with carries and cracking in joints. Pain is worse on initial movement, cold, and changes of weather, and better by continued movement and warmth.
- Kalmia- Complaints after exposure to cold and for those with a tendency of bone and joint pain. Sudden shifting of pain to another joint. Pain is worse on right side and with cold.
- Rhus tox- Complaints due to sprains of muscles or soft tissues, over lifting or over stretching, getting wet. Affected parts are sore to touch and pain as if sprained, more on the right side. There is restlessness and anxiety with continuous change in position. Pain is worse by rainy weather, rest and initial motion and better by warmth and continued motion.
- Silicea- Complaints due to improper absorption and nutritional deficiency. Persons who are sensitive to cold. Pain is worse by cold and uncovering, and better from warmth and covering.
Homeopathy is Effective In Treating Knee Osteoarthritis or Knee OA- Evidence Based Practice
Results of scientific studies have shown that homeopathy can be really useful in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis or Knee OA.
A study was conducted to compare the effectiveness of a homeopathic composition indicated for knee osteoarthritis or knee OA. The results concluded that the combination of homeopathic remedies was equally effective in treating knee osteoarthritis or knee OA pain. The combination comprised well proven homeopathic remedies and the combination too was found appropriate for effectively improving arthritic symptoms with minimal risk.1
In another study, a homeopathic gel was compared with an anti-inflammatory gel regularly used for knee osteoarthritis or knee OA pain. The homeopathic gel was found to be equally effective and well tolerated as the other gel. It concluded that the homeopathic gel, used along with regular treatment can prove to be a great treatment option for knee OA.2
This is just the beginning; there are a host of other wonderful homeopathic remedies. Consult a qualified homeopath and follow a proper treatment regimen.
1. Nahler G. et al. Treating osteoarthritis of the knee with a homeopathic preparation. Biomedical therapy;V. XVI (2)1998.
2. Van Haselen RA. and Fisher PAG. A randomized controlled trial comparing topical piroxicam gel with a homeopathic gel in osteoarthritis of the knee. Rheumatology 2000;39:714-719.
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee: Strengthening Exercises, Prognosis, Yoga, Supporting Devices
- What is Osteoarthritis of the Knee & What are its Causes, Signs & Symptoms
- Massage Therapy For Osteoarthritis: Benefits of Deep Tissue Massage, Cross Friction Massage
- Treatment & Surgery for Osteoarthritis of the Knee