Are you amazed by the thought of losing fat or keeping fit by working out for a short while? Well, you are surely thinking of Tabata training as great means to maintain health and weight while working out for few minutes. Tabata workout includes just 4 minutes of exercises, which include 20 seconds of intense exercises followed by 10 seconds of rest periods.
Tabata workout is known to be highly effective in burning fat, preserving muscle tissue and maintaining a lean, fit body. Tabata workouts helps to improve your stamina and keeps you in a fat burning mode for long thus keeping your metabolic rate high.
While all this is true, the most important factor that you need to bear in mind is that, although the Tabata workout workout is just for few minutes, it is truly a breathtaking experience. When you undertake Tabata workouts, the exercises performed for 20 seconds are high intensity level exercises and you really need to put in your best.
How To Begin With Tabata?
As a complete beginner, Tabata workout may not sound a very easy task. Ideally, it is suited to those who are in the practice of exercising and the body is well conditioned to take on a high intensity interval training (HIIT) like Tabata.
Tabata time is an intense workout program, for which you need to be prepared physically as well as mentally. It is alright to begin with your present capacity and gradually progress as you get used to it. But staying focused and keeping up the motivation is necessary for beginners aiming to start tabata workout.
As is true with any exercise, the warming up phase before the core training and cool-down exercises to be done later have a great impact on your body. It not only helps to stretch your body muscles and prevent injuries but also helps to increase your heart rate (warming up), which makes it easier to begin with core Tabata exercises.
As Tabata training is all about working out and resting for a specified period, it is worth using a Tabata timer. Tabata intervals are defined and it is important to follow the prescribed format. A Tabata timer or Tabata apps can guide you with the timed Tabata sessions, helping you to remain focused on your workout.
Tabata Workouts for Beginners
The best thing about Tabata workout for beginners is that you can perform any exercise, at high intensity and you do not need any equipment either. If you have some equipments, you can use them when you want to alternate but otherwise, simple exercises and floor workouts with your body is all you need as a beginner on Tabata. There is nothing like a best plan or an ideal Tabata workout for beginners, you can just design your own Tabata session, based on the primary guidelines.
The exercises should be combined in such a way that you heart rate remains high even at the end of the entire session of 4 minutes Tabata workout. You do not get to completely recover between the sets. Follow the 20:10 ratio of intense workout and rest period; then you are free to try many exercises of your choice.
Some Tabata workouts and exercises that can be conveniently performed at the beginner level include:
- Tabata Workout for Beginners #1- Supermans – To do this exercise, lie down on your tummy with hands stretched and pointing in the front. Then tighten your butts and lower back with hands and legs raised in air, as if you are ready to fly like superman. Release and repeat it 10 times.
- Tabata Workout for Beginners #2 - Leg Lift Exercise – Lie on your back and place hands on the floor, parallel to your body. Raise one leg straight till it is perpendicular to the body, then bring it down and raise the other leg. Perform 10 repetitions (reps)..
- Tabata Workout for Beginners #3 - Pelvic Rotation Exercise – Lie on your back with knees bent and raised. Place your hands by your sides with arms stretched on each sides. Rotate your pelvis and bend both knees to one side, twist as far as you can and return back. Perform the same by bending knees on the other side and back. Do 10 reps on both sides.
- Tabata Workout for Beginners #4 - Push-ups – These can be performed as wall push-ups, keeping the body fairly straight and pushing upper body against the wall or inclined push-ups, which is performed by pushing on a sturdy table and body remains inclined. Standard push-ups on toes can be performed if you are fit and already in practice or you can even go with modified push-ups, where knees are rested on the floor.
- Tabata Workout for Beginners #5 - Crunches – These are performed by lying on the floor, facing up and knees bent. Place your hands behind the head and raise your neck and upper body to reach the raised knees. At a beginner level, you can also modify it to raise your neck and shoulders only half way and release. only half way and release.
- Tabata Workout for Beginners #6 - Burpees – Stand with feet apart and then squat. Then rest your hands on floor and jump your feet to stretch them at the back as in a push-up pose. Again jump back to squat position and stand up. Repeat the cycle 10 times.
There are many other exercises that you as a beginner can perform as a part of tabata workout depending on your fitness levels. For e.g. Tabata sprints, jumping jacks, squats, jogging or even exercise bike are god exercises for beginners. For those who have medical concerns, injuries or if you are not sure about your physical fitness, it is better to seek medical opinion before you begin with Tabata protocol.