11 Natural Ways to Stop Teeth Grinding
Some people complain about suffering from a dental disorder where the affected individual grinds his or her own teeth. Though it is mostly a sleep disorder, yet many people also do it even when they are awake. Medically teeth grinding is termed as Bruxism where many people even grind their teeth unconsciously while sleeping or while awake. It is like putting 1200 pounds of recurring pressure on the teeth, muscles, tissues and the area in and around the jaw while teeth grinding. This problem can also lead to several other issues such as jaw joint disorders headaches, jaw pain, ear aches, damaged teeth and so on. Teeth grinding may also lead to TMJ or Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction.
11 Natural Ways to Stop Teeth Grinding
Below are some of the natural ways to help you stop teeth grinding or Bruxism.
Warm compress can be one of the best natural ways to stop teeth grinding. Here you have to apply moist heat on the jaw portion which will help you relax your jaw and the mouth muscles.
- Soak a clean washcloth in hot water and wring out any excess water from it
- Then hold the moist washcloth around your jaw area.
- Do this at least two times in a day for relaxing your jaw muscles as well as for preventing teeth grinding.
- Additionally you can also take a warm bath before sleeping for relaxing your jaw muscles temporarily.
Lavender Oil Massage:
Massaging your jaw and neck portion with lavender oil can be a great natural remedy to stop teeth grinding. Because of its bioactive constituents, Lavender has a calming and soothing effect on your nervous system. Apart from this, it also induces relaxation and aids in sleeping better.
- Mix 3 or 4 drops of lavender essential oil in a teaspoon of olive oil or almond oil
- Then use this oil to massage your jaw and neck portion that is close to your jaw
- Do this at least two times in a day; once during day time and once before going to bed in the night.
Turmeric milk can also be an effective natural remedy to stop teeth grinding. Milk contains tryptophan or the amino acid which aids in relaxing and enjoying sound sleep. Apart from this, calcium content present in milk also aid in keeping your teeth healthy. Adding turmeric to milk can enhance its health benefits and aid in relieving pain.
To prepare and use this all you need is follow the below mentioned steps.
- Heat one cup of milk.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder when milk starts to boil.
- Stir it slowly until the milk becomes a rich mustard color
- Then, remove from heat and add one tablespoon of honey to it
- Drink this turmeric milk regularly 30 minutes prior to sleep to help you stop grinding your teeth naturally.
Using Valerian to Stop Teeth Grinding Naturally:
Valerian has a muscle relaxing property that aids you in relaxing and enjoying deep sleep. When you sleep better, there is less chance of teeth grinding.
- Mix few drops of valerian essential oil in one teaspoon of olive oil and massage in the jaw and neck portion that is close to your jaw.
- You can also drink valerian tea daily for best results.
Warm herbal tea before bed can help you relieve tension and stress and provide a great relaxing effect on your body. Feeling relaxed and stress free can help prevent teeth grinding naturally. Apart from this, a herbal tea relaxes your facial muscles.
You can try out Green tea and Chamomile tea to try and stop teeth grinding in a natural way. You can also use packaged green tea or prepare the chamomile tea as mentioned below.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in one cup of hot water
- Steep for about 5 minutes
- Strain and add some lemon juice and honey
- Drink this herbal tea one or two hours before sleeping
Calcium and Magnesium Supplements:
One more natural way to stop teeth grinding is by taking calcium and magnesium supplement every day. Both, calcium as well as magnesium is required for muscle function and nervous system health.
Apart from this, calcium and minerals support teeth strength. When there is a calcium or magnesium deficiency in the body you can have problems with spasms, cramps, clenching, tension and various other muscle problems.
- Take powdered calcium and magnesium in a 2:1 ratio daily. Begin with 600 milligrams of calcium and 300 milligrams of magnesium. You can gradually increase the dosage to 1000 milligrams of calcium and 400 to 600 milligrams of magnesium
- Dissolve the powdered supplements in orange or grapefruit juice or in any acidic liquid.
- Drink this regularly for two months
Vitamin C is highly essential for your body to function appropriately. This vitamin is highly essential for making dopamine neurotransmitter which regulates mood. Apart from this, vitamin C also plays an important role in controlling smooth muscle movements. Vitamin C deficiency has shown to affect the production of adrenaline and noradrenaline. This in turn affects the nervous system and even leads to stress.
- Try out natural foods which are rich in Vitamin C in your diet
- Take vitamin C supplements once you have consulted your doctor.
By taking Vitamin C, you can reduce your stress and improve your mood and thus stop teeth grinding in a natural way.
Deep breathing exercises can be one more natural way to stop or prevent teeth grinding. Such breathing exercises will aid you relax before going to bed. Deep breathing also eases tired muscles. The more you are relaxed, the less likely you are going to suffer from teeth grinding during your sleep. Practice some deep breathing exercises before one hour of your bed.
Stress-relieving Massage to Stop Teeth Grinding Naturally:
Stress causes teeth grinding. So, by eradicating stress you can also stop teeth grinding. You can go for gentle massage on the muscles of the neck, shoulders, and face in circular motion for few minutes regularly before going to bed. This aids in relieving enough of tension and stress in the masticatory muscles. Thus, you can reduce teeth grinding by performing the stress-relieving massage naturally.
A complete body stress management massage will also be highly effective to stop teeth grinding naturally, as stress is usually the primary cause of teeth grinding.
Jaw Exercise to Stop Teeth Grinding Naturally:
One more way to stop teeth grinding naturally is by performing some specific jaw exercises. You can know about some of the recommended and more specialized jaw exercises by a physical therapist or a chiropractor. However, there are a few exercises you can start for relaxing and strengthening your jaw which can be performed 3-6 times in a day.
- Place your thumb underneath your chin; open and close your mouth while keeping your thumb in the place.
- Another jaw exercise to help you stop grinding your teeth is to put your thumb and forefinger on the front of your chin and push your jaw out so that your hand moves forward.
- Put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and then open and close the mouth
- Position one finger just inside your mouth and let you jaw go slack.
Physical Exercises Can Help Stop Teeth Grinding:
It is known that exercising or physical activities aids in reducing stress and also calm your body. So, by performing regular exercise at least for 3 times in a week will help you greatly improving your immune system of the body, and also the circulatory system; which in turn strengthens your ability to cope with stressful situations. Apart from this exercise also helps in getting better sleep.
This way you can prevent excess of stress and thus prevent self from teeth grinding which may be caused due to stress.
Now that we are known to some of the natural ways to stop teeth grinding; it is the right time that you put an end to this problem naturally at home and keep you safe from any further complications or side effects of the problem.
Make sure that in case these natural remedies do not work for you in stopping teeth grinding then do visit your dentist and get diagnosed with the actual underlying cause of teeth grinding and undergo the best treatments for the problem. In severe cases, you may require a mouth guard or protective dental appliance called splint, while sleeping so as to prevent damage to your teeth caused by teeth grinding.