Hair Loss on One Side of the Head: Causes, Treatment, Diagnosis
Hair loss on one side of head may sound strange to you, but it is common in many people across the world today. Human hair tends to undergo several phases of loss and growth throughout their lifespan. On an average, people usually lose 50-100 hair daily. But, in some people the phases of loss and growth of hair become irregular and sometime can stop suddenly, leading to thinning of hair or bald spot on head.
Hair loss on one side of the head is usually common but in some rare cases, losing hair on one side of head may be an unusual variation. In some, losing hair on one side of head it may indicate an underlying problem or be a symptom of other medical ailments. So, it is necessary to seek medical attention if you notice losing hair from one side of your head.
Pattern of Hair Loss on One Side of Head
In most cases, people experiencing hair loss on one side of head find that they are losing hair gradually. The hair will become thin gradually and they will notice that hair coming out while brushing the affected side of their head. You may check the volume of hair to know if you are suffering from one-sided hair loss. If the hair is comparatively less than other side, then it indicates that you are suffering from one-sided hair loss issue.
People with such problem usually start losing hair on the right side of their head compared to the left side. Some people may also experience losing body hair and leg hairs along with head hair. This indicates that they are suffering from one-sided hair loss problem.
Causes of Hair Loss on One Side of Head
- Hair Loss from Hair Styling – Some people love to try different hairstyles without knowing the impact of those hair styling. Hair styling may be good occasionally, but regular hair styling can increase the risk of hair loss on one side of head. This is seen especially the side where hair are pulled tightly away from the scalp for hair styles. This places unnecessary stress on hair follicles and make the hair to fall gradually. Hair styles like ponytails and buns tend to make the hair follicles weak. It is often termed as traction alopecia.
- Pattern Baldness – This is another common cause of hair loss on one side of their head. It is medically termed as androgenetic alopecia and this hair problem usually make the natural hair cycles shorten and the new hair have superficial roots, this result in falling of hair easily. It is a hereditary issue.
- Shock – It has been observed that some people may notice hair loss on one side of their head after experiencing major shocks. Shocks can be car accidents, emotional hardships like death of a family member or diseases. If losing of hair is due to emotional or physical shocks, then it is referred as telogen effluvium and this condition forces the hair to enter its resting phase prematurely. This results in falling out of hair frequently from one side of the head.
- Scarring – Due to scarring on the top, many people experience one-sided hair loss in their head. This condition is referred as cicatricial alopecia. When the hair follicle of one side of your head is scarred by inflammation or other skin conditions like lupus or lichen planus, then hair loss occurs on the affected side of your head. Inflammation actually damages the sebaceous glands and stem cells on the scalp, resulting in bald spot or thinning of hair on one side of head and is a very common cause of hair loss on one side of the head.
- Auto Immune Disease – Due to autoimmune disease most of the people experience hair loss on one side of the head. It is medically termed as alopecia areata. The immune system of your body actually invades the hair follicles, which hampers the hair cycles, making them fall out easily and preventing them from growing back. This condition may lead to varying level of hair loss, ranging from complete hair loss on one side of head to thinning and bald spots. It has been estimated that millions of people across the world are suffering from the disease, thus making it is the most common cause of hair loss on one side of the head.
Diagnosis of Hair Loss on One Side of the Head
Based on your medical history, the doctor will diagnose the cause of thinning of hair one side of your head. Your doctor will also check the medications that you are taking currently for any ailments, the nutritional status and your hairdressing patterns. They will conduct physical examinations to find if you have any fungal infection on your scalp. Blood tests and hair sample test may be done to find if you have any medical illness like thyroid, lupus or any skin disorder which is causing hair loss on one side of your head.
Prevention of Hair Loss from One Side of Head
General hair loss can be prevented from one side of your head by eating healthy, minimizing stress and using specialized hairdressing methods. You may also switch to shampoos that prevent hair loss. If the condition is due to fungal infection, then it can be prevented by keeping the hair clean always and taking the necessary treatment. Any skin disorder must be treated with medical advice to prevent excessive hair loss. It is important to avoid sharing personal items like combs, brushes and hats of others.
Treatment Options for One Sided Hair Loss
Medicines can be used as topical immune therapy to reduce hair loss from one side of head. Doctors may also prescribe irritants to reduce the effects. Injections, shampoos and steroid creams are also prescribed by the dermatologists to treat hair loss. Aromatherapy and essential oils are proved to be helpful to manage one sided hair loss. Learning to manage stress with relaxation techniques and meditation can also help to decrease hair loss from one side of their head. Seeking medical attention and following medical advice can help.