The human body is made up of 70 percent water and water is most essential for our survival. However, sometimes, people have excess water weight, the causes and symptoms of which must be understood carefully. Also, it is important to know the various ways to get rid of it.
Water can be found in blood, tissues and cells of the body. The space within the cells, outside it and the human blood are the main areas where water is bound to be present at all times. The kidney along with the hormones control the water regulation in the body and under normal circumstances, only that amount of water is retained in the body which is required for maintaining good health. However, many a times, excess amounts of water get retained within the tissues which can result in swelling and weight gain in the body.
We will analyze the symptoms and causes of excess water weight in the body and also see how to get rid of it easily.
Symptoms of Excess Water Weight
There are several symptoms which tell us that excess amount of water has accumulated in the body.
- Swelling – One of the most common symptoms of excess water weight is swelling in the body. Swelling can be noted in either one part of the body or may be seen in different parts, depending on the area in which water gets accumulated. For example, if water gets accumulated in the abdomen’s peritoneal cavity, the swelling will occur in the entire abdomen region. In some cases, excess water weight results in generalized swelling in the ankles and legs and under the eyes, when the underlying disease maybe congestive heart disease or kidney failure.
- Increased Weight – Another common symptom of excess water weight is increase in the body weight even if you are eating healthy food items and exercising regularly.
There are many other signs of excess water weight in the body. If the lungs have excess water in it, it can result in blue nails, tongue and lips, giddiness and also breathlessness while the presence of excess water in the legs can cause cracks and fissures in the skin and stretch it immensely.
Causes of Excess Water Weight
Normally, the excess water in our tissues is carried away by the lymphatic chain and eliminated by the body. Also, the hormones aid our kidneys to flush out excess water from the body via the blood circulation process. However, certain dietary and nutritional factors, medical conditions and disorders can affect the flushing out of water and result in accumulation of water in the body.
Let us analyze the major causes of excess water weight in the body.
- Consumption of Too Much Salt – Eating too much salt in your food is one of the major causes of excess water weight in the body. Moreover, if your kidneys are not functioning optimally and you continue to intake too much salt then you are bound to experience excessive water weight in the body and the related complications soon in life.
- Vitamin Deficiency – Vitamin deficiency, especially Vitamin B1, B5 and B6, in the body can lead to excess water weight in the tissues.
- Low Albumin – Albumin is a protein type which can result in excess water weight in the body if its level gets reduced in the body.
- Medical Conditions – Medical disorders like an enlarged heart, kidney disease and liver cirrhosis often cause excess water weight in body as a related symptom. Certain inflammatory conditions, joint disorders too trigger excess fluid accumulation in damaged joints or nearby areas, thus causing excess water weight. When the condition is treated, the excess water in the body also starts reducing on its own.
- Menstruation – It is noted that several women experience excess water weight in their body a few days before their menstruation cycle starts. Such weight gain is also accompanied by swelling. The female hormones undergo changes during menstruation which leads to such water accumulation in the body. Also, when a woman is pregnant, her body starts secreting excess amounts of estrogen which leads to water accumulation. If you are a woman who relies too much on oral contraceptives, then again you might experience excess water weight in the body followed by swelling.
- Other Factors – Consumption of hypertensive drugs, steroids and too much of anti-inflammatory medicines can also lead to excessive amounts of water in the body followed by swelling.
Ways to Get Rid of Excess Water Weight
No matter what the cause is, here are some of the best ways to get rid of excess water weight in the body.
- If your body has excess of water weight, then it is imperative to reduce your salt intake by a large amount. Reduced salt consumption will allow the kidneys to function properly and also balance out the level of water within. Also avoid fast foods, processed and packaged food items as they are quite rich in salt. Simply consuming salt in moderation can help you get rid of excess water weight, to a great extent.
- Consume food items which are rich in potassium. This will help the body to eliminate the extra amount of water in it and balance out the levels rapidly. Some of the best sources of potassium are milk, coconut water, bananas and oatmeal. This is another great way to get rid of excess water weight.
- Being mild diuretics, tea and coffee should be consumed in moderate amounts so that your body does not get dehydrated. Try to limit your intake of tea or coffee and keep it within 2 cups of either every day.
- It is a complete myth that if your body has retained excess water, then you must stop drinking too much of it on a regular basis. Drink sufficient water throughout the day because, if your body does not have enough water in it, it tries to retain extra in order to prevent the body from getting dehydrated. Drinking sufficient water will hydrate the body cells completely and help eliminate the retained water.
- One of the best ways to get rid of excess water weight is to exercise every day as this will help to increase the flow of blood in the body. Regular exercises can help to eliminate the extra water which was previously retained by the body. If possible, small sets of a variety of exercises can be performed twice or thrice a day. However, it is advisable to consult your doctor before starting any kind of exercise regime.
- Green tea has been proven to be of great help in losing weight along with the excess water weight within. Green tea is rich in antioxidants which help flush out excess water and toxins from the body while also increasing the body’s metabolism. Green tea is considered as a great remedy to get rid of excess water weight.
If you too are suffering from the symptoms of excess water weight and associated swelling, then it is important to first understand its cause and treat it so as to get rid of it completely. Unless, due to serious disorders, excess water weight is not a major problem and following a healthy diet and lifestyle, you can easily get rid of it.