What Causes Sour Burps|Treatment & Home Remedies to Get Rid of Sour Burps
What Causes Sour Burps?
Being overweight and following unhealthy diet habits are the primary cause of sour burps. Foods like caffeine and alcohol can increase the problem of acid reflux in the body. It affects the lower esophageal sphincter muscle (LES muscle) and leads to sour belching.
- Obesity as a Cause for Sour Burps:1 Obesity is one of the contributing factors to the problem of sour burps. The abdominal pressure increases with obesity, and this leads to the backward flow of acidic content in the body. It is also common among pregnant women due to the enlarging of the uterus and the impact of pregnancy hormones on LES.
- Sour Burps Caused Due to GERD:2 Sour burps are also very common among people who suffer from gastroesophageal reflux disease also called GERD. This causes a burning sensation in the chest and can also be painful.
- Smoking as a Cause for Sour Burps:3 If you have the habit of smoking, you should immediately consider giving it up as it can cause severe sour burps due to the stimulant effect of nicotine.
How is Sour Burp Treated?
Using antacids is the most popular way of treating sour burps. You do not need any prescription for getting antacids and it is easily available over-the- counter. It will neutralize the acid in the stomach and provide temporary relief.
Sour burps are also caused by delayed emptying of the stomach and to treat this problem, pro-kinetic drugs are used. Sometimes, anti-foaming agents can also help to relieve the digestive gas build up in the stomach. However, most of these give only temporary relief and will not solve the problem in the long run.
- Antacids: Though antacids are used as a temporary solution for sour burps, but as they are easily available in the market and have fast effects, one can use them and get easier recovery from sour burps.
- Pro-Kinetic Drugs: In the case of delay in stomach emptying, these drugs can be much helpful as they can make the stomach empty faster.
- Anti-Foaming Agents: These agents can help the stomach gas relieve easily and speedily and push the acid in the Esophagus with their LES functions.
- Raft Barrier Agents: They are also over-the-counter medicines and easily available. These agents create a layer on the acid and separate from the esophageal wall. Hence, it can help to get gas relieved and stop sour burps.
- Acid-Suppressing Drugs:4 In case you want to get relief for longer hours, you can use these drugs as they can prevent the production of acids in the stomach, which is the primary cause of sour burps.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Sour Burps:
There are numerous ways that can help one get quick relief from sour burps. Many of them are very much handy and can offer the relief in just a few minutes. Here are a few remedies listed that one can use:
- Home Remedy for Sour Burp Using Rice Water: Though rice water is not used much by people and removed as a waste while cooking rice, but in the case of sour burps one can use it as a remedy. It can form a layer on the stomach wall and helps to reduce stomach pain in case of extreme acid reflux. It is also very simple to make, and you can cook rice in the normal way and just add double the amount of water than what you add normally.
- Potato Juice: It is extremely useful home remedy to get rid of stomach pain. You just need to take some potatoes and grind them to make juice. You can add some water to dilute the juice and mix a teaspoon of lemon juice and honey. Drink this on an empty stomach to get relief from acid reflux problem which can lead to sour burp.
- Carrot Juice: You can also drink carrot juice or lemon juice to get rid of sour burps naturally. Make a habit of drinking these juices on a regular basis and you will see positive results within a week. Unlike other medicines, these simple home remedies will give you long lasting relief from sour burp.
- Milk: Milk is known to keep the stomach lining smooth, and it will also provide relief from constipation. It is better to drink warm milk when you have a problem with your stomach which can lead to sour burp.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is also well known home remedy to cure indigestion and diarrhea. You can add some salt to a bowl of yogurt and use it twice a day to get relief from acid reflux problems.
- Carom Seeds: It is also a useful remedy to get rid of sour burps. You just need to get a teaspoon of seeds of carom and allow them to cool. Later crush them with the help of a rolling pin, but you must not crush them fully. Take some salt and add it to crushed carom seed and use it. In a few minutes, the gas will be relieved, and sour burps will be stopped.
- Lemon: Lemon has N-number of health benefits, and if it is consumed with warm water and honey, it can prove as the best home remedy for sour burps.
- Asafoetida: This healthy spice has a wonderful quality to control upset stomach. You can use it as an ingredient in your regular food also. In the case of sour burps, just take a glass of milk and add a little asafoetida. Consume it and see the wonder.
- Soda Water: As an antacid, soda water can be of great help in treating and getting rid of sour burp. You can also add some lemon and black salt in it to add some taste and with that get a cure for sour burps.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is though used for making food, but at the same time it has the quality to relieve gas. You can mix baking soda with warm water and consume it. In a few minutes, it will show the effect as the gas will be relieved and sour burps will be stopped.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This is a well known home remedy for multiple health conditions. Just use it with warm water to get rid of sour burps. It is not much tasty, but tremendously effective in getting rid of sour burps.
- Cinnamon and Ginger Tea: Take 2 cinnamon and ½ grated ginger and mix them. Add the paste to warm water and drink it after 5 minutes. You will be surprised to see the great remedial effects of this mixture in the case of sour burps.
- Charred Toast: Though the sour burp happens because of overeating, but some food can help to get relief from it. Charred toast is one of such foods. It removes the toxins and helps to get quick relief from sour burps.
- Green Tea as a Home Remedy for Sour Burps: Green tea is much famous for its qualities that can help one cure a number of health issues. In the case of sour burps also it can do wonder as it has the quality to control acid produced by different foods. If consumed regularly, it can help to get faster relief from sour burps.
- Mint Leaves: Mint leaves consumed with lime juice, and ginger can help you get relief from sour burps faster.
With so many home remedies as well as medicines available, it should not be difficult anymore to get relief from sour burps. Also, a little change in lifestyle towards healthy eating will also help to prevent the problem of getting sour burps.
Sour burps also known as Acid burps is the result of acid reflux symptoms in the body. It is the most common upper gastrointestinal condition that is usually found in people older than 40 years. Even though it does not harm the body in any way, it causes irritation as the digestive gas is expelled through the mouth and it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. Acid reflux happens when acidic contents in the stomach flow backward. Sour burp is a symptom of some of the conditions like heartburn, nausea, and indigestion.
Gastrointestinal Complications of Obesity.
Camilleri M1, Malhi H2, Acosta A2., Gastroenterology. 2017 May;152(7):1656-1670.
Gastroesophageal reflux in the adolescent.
Hillemeier C1., Adolesc Med. 2000 Oct;11(3):647-62.
Prevalence and risk factors for reflux esophagitis in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Kim SW1, Lee JH1, Sim YS2, Ryu YJ1, Chang JH1., Korean J Intern Med. 2014 Jul;29(4):466-73.
A decade-long sour-taste sensation successfully treated with a proton-pump inhibitor.
Mantani N1, Ito K, Kogure T, Hoshino A, Kawada E, Sakamoto H, Fujita K, Tamura J., J Oral Rehabil. 2005 Oct;32(10):776-8.