Yogurt is known for its various health benefits. It is a sweet treat which is a rich source of calcium, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and protein which is necessary for good bones and teeth as well as good muscle and blood vessel function. It is also known for its benefits to the gastrointestinal health as it contains good bacteria known as probiotics.
Eating yogurt gives a fuller feeling making it easier to manage weight.
Is Yogurt Good For Diabetics?
Yogurts are low in carbohydrates and therefore are considered as a good option for diabetics, as they will not lead to blood sugar level spikes. Other than this there are various benefits yogurt serves to the people with high blood sugar level.
- Various studies and researches have been conducted on the benefit of yogurt to diabetics and following are the inferences:
- Yogurt contains probiotics, a good bacterium which helps in improving the gut health and overall health conditions including in people with diabetes.
- Regular consumption of yogurt is shown to be associated with lowering the insulin resistance and blood glucose levels.
- People who consume yogurt on regular basis have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
All these show the importance of yogurt in people suffering from high blood sugar and the need to include it in the daily meal.
How to Choose Yogurt For Diabetics?
A product with a low glycemic index is a great option for the people suffering from diabetes. All the dairy products including yogurt are known to have a low glycemic index. To get the maximum benefit from yogurt consumption always read the labels before you buy the product. The yogurt type with live and active cultures is best for health.
Pay attention to the nutritional facts. Diabetics should choose the yogurt which has low carbohydrate and high protein level. Avoid the ones with added sugar, as they can lead to an increase in the blood glucose levels.
Yogurts are slightly sour, so if it tastes sweet, it might contain sugar. Choose for the options which have 10 gram or less sugar content. Also, avoid the flavored yogurt options.
Diabetics should avoid yogurt with topping, they might contain extra calories and carbohydrates. Opt for a plain yogurt and ignore the topping. Some topping might raise the blood sugar count. If you want to top your yogurt with something go for sliced almonds and fresh berries. You can also add chia seeds, grounded flax seed, and sliced strawberries to it, to add to the goodness.
Watch Out For
The good news is, if you are suffering from diabetes, consuming yogurt will be very beneficial. You just have to watch out for the artificial sweeteners, high-calorie topping, hidden carbohydrates, and calories.
Yogurt is really good for diabetes. It is just that you should know how to choose your product wisely.
- How Android Apps For Diabetes Can Help Diabetics?
- Yoga for Diabetics: Yoga Poses to Help Control Sugar Levels
- Is Frozen Yogurt Healthy?
- Why do Diabetics Pee a Lot & How to Manage Increased Urination in Diabetes?
- Is Yogurt Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is Yogurt Good for GERD?
- Is Yogurt Good to Eat for Acid Reflux?
- Is Yogurt Good for the Liver?
- Is Yogurt Good For Lowering Cholesterol?