Any continuous or persistent pain in the head region is a headache. A headache is a discomfort caused due to stimulation of any nerve or tissue in the head, giving origin to a pain. Although a headache is a very common pain, however, it can be become extremely intense and needs an instant relief. There are certain pressure points which when pressed affect the flow of energy to reduce the pain, especially to relieve chronic headaches.
Pressure points are the bunch of nerves which are present at various places on the body. Pressure points help in regulating the circulation of blood. Pain in any region of the head is known as a headache, but how severe the pain is, its duration and the cause of its origin differentiates it into various types.
Various Types of Headaches
Headaches can be of various types, which are as follows:
Normal Headache: If it is just a pain in the head, then this type of headache is classified under the category of primary headache. This headache type has nothing to do with any other pain or illness happening in the body.
Tension Headache: If any pain that triggers into the head due to problems or tensions in life, then such a headache is classified under the category of tension headaches. This headache type may cause dullness and tiredness in the body. It also shall cause pain around the neck or shoulders.
- Cluster Headache: Headache that occurring more than twice a day or in a cluster form, i.e., one headache after the other; then these headaches are classified under the category of cluster headaches.
- Migraine: Chronic headache caused due to light or sound is classified under the category of migraines. Such headache type causes intense pain that may last for like three to four days.
Pressure points are said to be one of the most significant treatment methodology that can help in relieving headache. Our body has several pressure points that can cure any pain.
Pressure Points and Headaches
Pressure points are specific sensitive areas which when pressed, stimulate and offer relief from pain. Although, medicines may provide an instant cure, however, these are not advisable in the long run. Instead, natural ways such as acupressure and pressure points work great in providing relief from headache.
The brain produces chemicals that wrap the pain signals and produces a relaxed feeling on applying gentle and firm pressure on the pressure points because of which the headache is relieved, the muscle relaxes and the body gains back its balance. Such a technique is known as Acupressure.
Acupressure is not just a treatment, but it is also used to prevent the body from various types of illness. The practitioners of Reflexology say that applying pressure on particular points releases stress, eases out pain and imparts balance in the body.
How Pressure Points & Acupressure Help in Relieving Headache?
Acupressure is a traditional Chinese practice of relieving stress and pain from the body by applying pressure on particular points using fingertips. Imagine body as a house which is connected with cables to provide electricity. In cases of wire damage, chances of having short circuit or fire become high. Similarly, our body has a system made up of nerves that carries current to the body receptors. In the event of their blockage, it causes pain in the body. The acupressure method helps in relieving pain, according to the traditional Chinese medicine practice. This practice states that acupressure balances the energy flow in the body by boosting the blood circulation and relieving the muscle tension which, in turn, stimulates the natural pain relievers and feel good hormones in the body that help in relieving the headache.
Reflexology Pressure Points for Headache
Reflexology is a study of how every part of the body connects to one another. On applying a specific amount of pressure on particular points (reflex points) on the body, it eases out pain. Reflexologists believe that these reflex points, when pressed, correspond to specific body organs that eventually help in improving the person’s health. Reflexology provides a long-term solution for headaches, rather than a short-term solution as provided by over the counter medication. Additionally, Reflexology has been proven effective in treating diseases such as anxiety, cancer, asthma, diabetes, headache, PMS and cardiovascular diseases.
Reflexology Remedy for Headaches
There are certain Reflex remedies used for curing headaches. Some of them are as follows: –
- Brain Reflex Point for Headache: This reflex point lies behind the flesh part of the big toenail of your feet. Press both the toenails together and hold for 10 seconds. Now release and repeat till your headache subsides.
- Eye Reflex Point for Headache: On applying pressure on this reflex point, it helps in treating the headaches caused due to eye strain. These reflex points are present between the base of the second and the third toe of your feet. Hold these points for 10 seconds and then release them. Repeat it, 5-10 times in a day to get relief from headache.
- Neck Reflex Point for Headache: This reflex point helps in relieving the headache caused due to problems in the neck and spine. This pressure point helps by increasing the blood circulation in the neck region. The neck reflex point is under the big toe of your feet. Apply pressure on these reflex points in a circular motion to ease out the pain.
Accupressure Points for Treating Headache
- Scalp Massage for Headache: It helps in stimulating the pressure points on the head and releases stress. Scalp massage helps in curing headaches. Massaging the pressure points helps in relaxing the tight and stiff muscles and increases the blood circulation to the scalp.
- Union Valley Pressure Point for Headache: This Pressure Point helps in providing relief from various discomforts in the body. It releases tension from the neck and the head. It is located on the dorsum of the hand in between the thumb and the index finger. In order to treat headache, start by pressing the area between your thumb and the index finger slowly, for 10 seconds. Then rotate on that point making small circles with your finger clockwise and anti-clockwise for 10 seconds in each direction. Keep on doing this process till you get relief from headache. Repeat the same process on the opposite hand as well.
Applying certain types of oils on the Union Valley pressure point helps in ailing many diseases that are responsible for causing headache, such as:
In-Digestion: Rub some amount of peppermint oil or star anise oil to Union Valley pressure point to cure problems related to digestion as well as headache associated with it.
To calm the senses: Apply some amount of lavender oil or sandalwood oil to Union Valley pressure point to calm the senses and relax as well as cure headache associated with it.
For pain relief: Make some turmeric oil and massage on this pressure point. It will help in curing menstrual cramps as well as headache associated with it.
Drilling Bamboo Pressure Point for Headache: For someone suffering from headache due to chronic cold or flu, this pressure point is very beneficial. This pressure point helps in curing headache which is caused by sinus or strain in the eye or tiredness. It is located in the eye socket at the points between the bridges where the nose meets the eyebrows.
To treat headache, especially on the front side of the head, apply force on both sides of these pressure points together using your index fingers. Hold for 10 seconds and then release. Repeat the same procedure till the headache subsides.
Gates of Consciousness Pressure Point for Headache: This pressure points release endorphins, the natural pain relievers of human body. This pressure point helps in curing headache caused due to arthritic pains or chronic fatigue. This pressure point also helps in relieving headache associated with the stiffness of the neck. Applying pressure on these points also helps in releasing tension headache.
‘Gates of consciousness’ pressure point is present at the base of the skull, in the parallel hollow area between the vertical muscles of the neck. In order to treat headache take your index finger and the middle finger and start applying some pressure on these points. Hold the fingers on this pressure point for 10 seconds and then release, gradually. Repeat the steps 5 to 10 times to get headache relief.
Third Eye Pressure Point for Headache: The Third Eye Chakra is considered as the home of knowledge. When pressure is applied on this point, it helps in releasing the headache caused by sinus or strain on the eyes.
This headache relief pressure point is located in between the eyebrows where the nose bridge meets the forehead. In order to treat the headache using this pressure point, take your index finger and firmly apply pressure on this point. Press it continuously for a minute or two and thereafter remove the finger from this pressure point. Repeat the process 5 to 10 times. You should start feeling the difference by the time you may have finished applying pressure 2-3 times only on this point. After doing it for 5 to 10 times, the headache would vanish as if it never existed.
Shoulder Well Pressure Point for Headache: Applying pressure on this point helps in relieving headache associated with the stiffness of the neck, shoulder muscle and back pains. Shoulder well pressure point is located on the shoulder muscle, between the shoulder point and the base of the neck. In order to treat headache using the shoulder well pressure point, use your thumb to apply pressure on this point in a circular motion, both clockwise and anticlockwise. Repeat it for one minute and then release the pressure. Then switch to the opposite shoulder and repeat the process till the pain persists.
Completion Bone Pressure Point for Headache: Applying pressure on this point helps in releasing pain from the neck. Hence it helps in relieving dizziness and headache associated with it. Completion bone pressure point is located just behind the ear, in the sternocleidomastoid muscle. In order to treat headache, use your index finger by apply firm pressure on this point. Hold it for 1 minute and then repeat the same process on the other ear.
Head Region Pressure Points for Headache: It is a series of seven points situated on the head in a row pattern. It is used to treat headache caused due to stress and tension. Starting from the forehead, these are 7 pressure points in series that goes till the back of the head. These 7 points are known as:
- Eyebrow Ascension
- Deviating Turn
- Fifth Place
- Light Guard
- Celestial Connection
- Declining Connection
- Jade Pillow
In order to treat headache, massage slowly on these points in a circular motion to release stress responsible for causing headache. Massage with hot oil for the best results.
Feet Pressure Points for Headache: Stimulating the pressure points present on the feet, helps in releasing tension, headaches and stress. Feet pressure point for headache is located in between the big toe and the second toe of the feet. In order to treat headache, firmly massage the pressure point on the feet in a circular motion. Repeat this for five minutes and then release the pressure. Repeat the process till you get relief from the headache.
Welcome Fragrance Pressure Points for Headache: This pressure point for headache is present on the facial region and helps in eliminating headache as well as congestion. Welcome fragrance pressure point is located on both the sides of the nostrils, just below the cheekbones, aligning with the pupils. In order to cure headache using this pressure point, use the index finger and the thumb to apply pressure on these points. Hold it for one minute and then release the pressure. Repeat the process twice or thrice in a day for headache relief.
Indirect Acupressure Pressure Points That Help in Relieving Headache
There are certain acupressure points on the human body that indirectly help in reducing the pain due to headache which are as follows:
Pressure Points In the foot: The foot has one of the most important pressure points. It is present on the line running between the big toe and the second toe and at about three finger’s width from the edge of the foot. It helps in removing stress from the body and hence also helps in curing headache caused due to it.
The Pericardium: This acupressure point helps the patient in getting rid of vomiting and nausea sensation in various cases like pregnancy, motion sickness or post-chemotherapy. This point also relieves uneasiness from upset stomach and chest pain and eventually helps in relieving headache caused due to discomfort. This pressure point lies between the two large tendons on the inner side of the wrist, approximately three fingers below the base of the palm. To release pain, you must press the point with your index and middle fingers for few minutes.
The Pool at the Crook Pressure Point for Headache: This point is used to ease out the pain from elbows, arms or shoulders. Applying pressure on this point also helps to regulate the digestive system, which in turn may be responsible for causing headache.
Sacral Acupressure Point for Headache: These acupressure points are great in relieving the menstrual cramps. These pressure points also help in reducing the lower back pain and sciatica. Eventually, it helps in relieving headache caused as a result of menstrual cramps, lower back pain and sciatica. The point lies on the sacrum, the place on the base of the spine present directly above the tailbone. To get relief, simply lie down on your back by keeping your hands under the base of your spine. To get better results, it is advisable to keep one hand on top of the other to apply firm pressure on the sacral points for a couple of minutes.
LV-3 Pressure Point for Headache: This acupressure point improves concentration and is good for improving memory. This pressure point helps in gain clarity in one’s thoughts and helps the person to focus. It also helps to soothe the tired eyes, reduce hangovers, boost the immune system, fight fatigue and hence help in relieving headaches caused due to all these factors. This pressure point is present on the top of your foot, at the meeting point of the big and the small toe.
Top Center of the Forearm: This is one of the most effective stress relieving points. Applying pressure on this point reduces tension and anxiety and hence helps in relieving the headache cause due to stress. With the palm facing down, in the large muscular section underneath the crease of the elbow, press for several seconds and release several times.
Some Other Common Ways to Handle Normal Headache and Tension Headache
Below are some common ways to cure normal headache type:
- Buckwheat Pillow: A natural unbleached cotton pillow can be used to reduce stress, tension or muscle pain as it provides perfect support to the neck.
- Naproxen Sodium Tablets: For persistent normal or tension headache types, these tablets provide long-term relief; however, you should take this medication only after consulting your physician as you may never know the exact root cause of headache.
- Tea: It is considered as the best stress reliever. Green Tea works best for headaches and is very beneficial for tension headache type.
- Caffeine: The vasoconstrictive properties present in caffeine helps in reducing the size of blood vessels which helps in providing relief from headache.
- Hot Oil Massage: Hot oil helps in relaxing the blood vessels. Scalp massage with warm oil increases the blood flow in the blood vessels, concentrated in the head region, which helps in relieving the pain due to headache.
- Exercise: Working out on a regular basis reduces the severity of headaches.
- Meditation: Meditation can help in reducing the headache by way of reducing tension and stress. It helps by calming down the hyper-excited brain and by eliminating the stress.
- Yoga: It helps in reducing stress, which is the major reason for a headache. Practicing yoga on a regular basis increases the blood flow in the head which eventually relaxes the stress in the head.
- Relax: Sometimes taking a nice sleep also helps in relieving the pain. Sleeping helps the body in releasing ‘feel good hormones,’ which counterattacks the stress in the body and hence relieves the individual from headache.
Conclusively, pressure points on the body are very effective in reducing the headache. There are several pressure points present on the body, i.e. on head, neck, ear, feet, hands, shoulders and face that efficiently help us in relieving headache by increasing the blood circulation and by boosting energy in the body. So if you have a headache next time, do consider these pressure points.
- What is Headache or Cephalalgia?
- Treatment for Headache: Medications, NSAIDs, Opioids, Oxygen Therapy, Surgery
- Simple Home Remedies for Migraine Headaches
- Preventive Treatment for Headache: Cluster, Migraine, Tension Headaches
- Splitting Headache, Is It Migraine?
- Tension Headaches: Causes, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Treatment, Lifestyle Modifications
- 5 Yoga Poses for Treating Headaches
- Sinus Headaches: Causes, Symptoms,Treatment, Prevention, Differentiating it from Migraine, Risk Factors, Investigations