Bruises are red, purplish or black-blue spots on the skin surface caused due to an injury. There may also be pain and swelling in the affected area.In this article, we will discuss some of the effective home remedies to help bruises go away quickly.
25 Amazing Home Remedies for Bruises
Bruises are medically called contusion. When an injury occurs, small blood vessels beneath the skin get damaged. A sudden leak of blood from the blood vessels to the surrounding tissues usually causes the black-blue or red marks. Though bruises may heal on their own in about 12-15 days, if you like to get rid of the bruises quickly then you can try out some of the below-mentioned home remedies.
Here are some of the most effective home remedies to help bruises go away quickly.
Ice Pack as a Home Remedy for Bruises:
- Applying an ice pack is the best first aid for bruises and is one of the best home remedies to help bruises go away quickly. Ice packs cool down the damaged blood vessels and control the leakage of blood. Do not apply the cold pack for more than 20 minutes. Cold and compression applied immediately after an acute injury helps to reduce pain, swelling and is also useful in musculoskeletal injuries.1
- You can also alternatively soak a cotton cloth in ice-cold water and place it on the affected area. Repeat this several times a day for about 10 minutes.
- Even frozen vegetables can aid you to get rid of bruises overnight. You can wrap them in a soft cotton towel and place it in on the affected area or the bruise.
- One more option is that you can take two stainless steel spoons and put them in the freezer for 15 minutes and then place them on your bruise. This aids in reducing blood clots.
Elastic Bandage To Help Bruises Go Away Quickly:
- You can make use of an elastic bandage to stop the bruise from spreading. Whenever you find a bruise on your body, you need to wrap a plastic bandage immediately to control the leakage of blood in the tissues. This not only prevents bruises from spreading but also makes the process of healing quicker.
- You can also make use of cloth to tie around the affected area.
Vinegar as a Home Remedy for Bruises:
Vinegar is another effective home remedy for bruises. It can drive away from the blood that has pooled in the affected area. When bruises appear, mix vinegar with warm water and apply it on the affected area to treat blood clot instantly.
Witch Hazel For Bruises:
- Witch hazel is one of the effective home remedies to help bruises go away quickly. The active ingredients present in witch hazel have astringent properties that prove useful for curing bruises. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can affect very well on skin inflammation.2 For using this remedy, you need to apply a cotton ball soaked in witch hazel on the bruise for speeding up the healing process and soothe the inflammation.
- You can also apply witch hazel astringent bark tea on bruises to cure pain and inflammation
- Vitamin K deficiency may cause bruises. To overcome vitamin K deficiency, you can add parsley to your diet. Thus, parsley is one of the home remedies to help bruises go away quickly.
- You can also use parsley leaves as a remedy for bruises. Keep some crushed fresh leaves on the affected area then tie your bruise with an elastic bandage. This not only checks bruises but also controls blood clots, reduces pain, inflammation caused due to bruises.
Comfrey leaves can also work to help bruises go away quickly. Take fresh comfrey leaves and prepare a fine paste. Apply the paste on the bruise and leave it till it dries. Then, apply the second layer on it. Let this dry and after that, simply wash it off with lukewarm water.
Teabags are also essential home remedies to help bruises go away quickly. Simply take sage tea bags or chamomile tea bags and soak them in warm water. Then place them on the bruises. This would soothe the pain.
Hot Water Bottle :
- One more home remedy to help bruises go away quickly is to take a bottle and fill it with hot water and keep it on the injured area. Hot water will surely reduce the blood clot and slow down the blood flow to the affected tissues. In case of swelling, first, apply a cold compress and only then hot compress. Moist heat works better on bruised tissues as compared to dry heat therapy; as it goes deeper and spreads quickly.
Apart from hot water, you can also make use of hot water-soaked towels, a hot bath, etc. however, make sure that water should be warm and not too hot.
Chocolates for Bruises:
Chocolates contain cocoa bioactive compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties, beneficial for the skin. To make use of this remedy for bruises, melt some chocolates and keep that warm melted chocolate on the bruises. Then, cover it with a bandage to let the chocolate dry over the affected area. This hot chocolate pack compresses the damaged blood vessels, which control the blood flow. This is one of the important home remedies to help bruises go away quickly. Make sure that while applying the hot chocolate pack, you are not applying too hot chocolate on the affected area, else it may hurt you more.
Turmeric Paste for Bruises:
One more home remedy that would help bruises go away quickly is turmeric and tamarind paste. Turmeric is known for its therapeutic and medicinal properties. It is also a strong anti-bacterial agent. Curcumin found in turmeric has several health benefits such as reducing soreness and promoting healing. Tamarind is also known for its common healing properties and curing inflammation because of its anti-oxidants and antimicrobial activity.To make use of this home remedy for bruises, make a thick paste of turmeric and tamarind and heat it. Then, apply the hot pack on the bruise very gently. Cover the bruise with a soft cotton cloth to let it disappear quickly
Cayenne Pepper and Vaseline Home Remedy:
Another home remedy for bruises could be cayenne pepper and Vaseline together. Take 1 part of cayenne pepper and 5 parts of melted Vaseline and mix it well to apply it on the bruise. Make sure that Vaseline mixture should be cold while applying.
Castor Oil for Bruises:
Rubbing castor oil on the affected area or the bruises not only reduces it but also prevents the skin from peeling off, once the bruise disappears.
- Ginger has antioxidant properties and is very beneficial for skin health. You can use ginger as a home remedy for bruises. Slice some ginger and soak them in hot water for some time. Then after, strain the water and drink it.
- Alternatively, you can also rub some crushed ginger directly on your bruises.
Sugar or Honey as Home Remedy for Bruises:
When bacteria enter your wound or cut, it grows faster. Sugar and honey both have anti-bacterial properties and they also promote healing of wounds, which make them an important home remedy for healing bruises. Applying sugar syrup or honey can prevent bacterial growth along with treating the bruise.Apply hot sugar syrup on the bruise and tie it with a bandage. Let the sugar dry to tighten the skin so that your bruises stop spreading all over.
Lavender Oil As A Home Remedy For Bruises:
Lavender oil is also known as an effective home remedy to help bruises go away quickly. Take cold water and put some drops of lavender oil in it. Soak a cloth in this water and apply the same on the bruise. Lavender oil aids in reducing the swelling and cold water provides relief in pain.
Pineapple is also useful home remedy in getting rid of bruises. It has an enzyme known as bromelain which, when consumed, can reach the damaged blood vessels to digest the protein that causes bruise and inflammation in the skin.
Bilberry contains strong antioxidants called anthocyanosides that reinforce the blood vessels and helps in balancing the collagen; thus reduces the bruises. You can consume bilberry extract or can take it in pills form to help bruises go away quickly
Arnica, Chamomile, Yarrow, Calendula for Bruises:
Some of the effective home remedies to help bruises go away quickly include Arnica, Chamomile, Calendula, and Yarrow. Arnica is widely used to get rid of bruises. Chamomile also poses anti-inflammatory properties that aid in getting rid of wounds. It can be used internally as well as externally for treating several health conditions. Tea made from mixing 3 teaspoons of chamomile in water can be used as a compress for getting relief from pain and inflammation. Yarrow is another herb that is also used to cure wounds.You can take arnica, chamomile, and yarrow and mix them to form an herbal infusion. Apply this regularly on your bruise to get rid of it faster. Calendula is also used for compresses in healing wounds and bruises.2
One more home remedy to help bruises go away quickly could be butter. It has anti-inflammatory properties. Apply fresh butter on the skin to treat minor bruises and burns.
Grape seeds help in speedy recovery of the wound. You can use this as a home remedy to help bruises go away quickly. Crush a few grape seeds for extracting the juice out of it and apply this juice to heal the bruise. The grape seed is rich in flavonoid which helps in healing. You can also alternatively drink the grape seed juice two times a day for effective results.
Aloe Vera as a Home Remedy for Bruises:
You can use aloe vera gel as an effective home remedy to help bruises go away quickly. Take aloe vera leaf and apply the gel of it on the bruises. This provides you enough relief from pain and swelling.2
Papaya for Bruises:
Papaya is one more remedy for bruises. This fruit contains Papain, an enzyme used to treat several skin problems. Thus, you can add papaya to your diet for getting rid of bruises quickly
You can also eat fresh and raw garlic for treating bruises quickly. Consume at least 2 cloves of garlic which will aid you to heal up the bruise fast as it contains antibiotic properties.
Onion as a Home Remedy for Bruises:
Onion is also packed with anti-inflammatory properties and can work well on the damaged skin cells. When bruises are caused because of injury to blood vessels, you can extract onion juice and apply the juice on your bruises. Let the skin absorb juice so that it works deep within the blocked blood vessels for treating the blood clot.
Vitamins C and K:
Vitamin C and Vitamin K are pretty effective home remedies to help bruises go away quickly. Taking vitamin C rich foods such as broccoli, mangoes, peppers, sweet potatoes, oranges, helps reduce skin inflammation and bruises. Vitamin K is an effective remedy to treat blood clotting and damaged tissue in the body. For treating bruises quickly, you need to eat food like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, leafy and green vegetables, which are rich in vitamin K are helpful.
Sometime bruises may occur without falls, trip or any other injury. This is to be noted that it is a serious condition and you need to consult your doctor immediately. Bruises may also occur due to conditions like anemia, leukemia, hemophilia that require immediate medical attention.
For bruises occurring due to minor injuries, you can try out the above-mentioned home remedies to help bruises go away quickly.Still, if pain, swelling or bruising persists or if there are any other symptoms, it is advisable to consult your doctor.