Do Antibiotics Help Acne?
For severe acne or acne in which there are high possibilities of getting scars doctors prescribe antibiotics. Antibiotics help in destroying bacteria and adds to the smoothness of skin. This way individual will get less pimples which ultimately means less scares and marks on face. Antibiotics can either be taken orally or can be applied on the skin (affected area). Usually, dermatologists prescribe oral antibiotics like minocycline, erythromycin, tetracycline, doxycycline etc. Let us take a look on how antibiotics actually work on acne and what should be expected out of antibiotics.
Antibiotics for acne should be taken only when it is prescribed a certified doctor, that too only a dermatologist. Some of the women ask their gynecologist for antibiotics, which is not right.
- Antibiotics for acne are available only through a physician and it does not have to be a dermatologist. Many women actually get acne antibiotics through their gynecologist. American Academy of Dermatology has revealed that antibiotics should never be used alone, instead; it should be used along with therapies of tropical aspect like retinoid or benzoyl peroxide.
- With time people have become resistant to antibiotics. In addition, topical antibiotics have become less effective just like any acne treatment; this is why doctors always recommend taking antibiotic only in combination with oral medication. Considering the change in global health scenarios, experts have continuous argument on how long the tropical medication or antibiotic should be used for treating acne.
- One thing that every individual should keep in mind that antibiotics used for treating acne does not work immediately. Different medications take different time span for showing noticeable result. Some of the acne medicines that belong to tetracycline when used in combination with oral medication take many weeks and at times even months to display noticeable results.
- After continuous use of antibiotic if individual observes that acne has started shrinking then it is an indication that the problem has started getting cured. It is good news which means medicine is actually doing its work.
- Along with the positive aspects there are some really bad side effects of taking acne antibiotics which includes:
- Tetracycline is one of the most popular antibiotic medicines prescribed frequently by dermatologist. However, this medication can lead to discoloring of teeth that is why it is not recommended to pregnant women or kids who are less than twelve years of age.
- Acne breakouts have three different stages minor, moderate and severe acne. Dermatologists prescribe acne antibiotics to patients who either suffer from moderate or severe acne breakouts. Usually it is not recommended for patients with minor breakouts.
- There are some acne antibiotics that may hinder the working of birth control pills or make them less effective.
- Some medicines can have adverse effect when taken along with antibiotics. Hence, it is very important that one should inform the doctor if they are on any medication, such as minerals, calcium, vitamins and so on. After knowing about the current medication doctors prescribe drug that will not have any adverse effect when taken in combination with the online medications.
Antibiotics do a lot of good for patients suffering from acne but it is very important that right type of antibiotic should be taken in combination with right oral medicines. Patients should religiously follow doctor’s instructions and in case they have any confusion then should clear that out with the doctor.
- Acne or Acne Vulgaris: Causes, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedies
- Massage Your Face to Get Rid of Acne Scars
- Quick Ways to Get Rid of Acne Scars
- What Causes Acne on Back and Shoulders & How to Get Rid of it?
- Types of Acne on Chin & Ways to Get Rid of it
- Can Herbal Blood Purifiers Help Get Rid of Acne?
- Causes of Acne in Women After the Teen Years