Leucorrhea or vaginal discharge is a common problem in young girls. Along with other changes in the body, discharge from vagina may also be experienced by some girls. It is important to know the causes and symptoms of leucorrhea in young girls and natural remedies to get rid of it.
As the body undergoes several pubertal changes during the teenage years, a girl has to encounter several issues at the same time. Some of the major changes experienced due to the hormonal spurt are growth of hair in underarms and pubic area, increase in weight and height, changes in voice, enlargement of breasts and the most important of them all menstruation.
Many young girls experience different types of menstrual problems amongst which leucorrhoea is extremely common. However, there are some natural remedies which can help to get rid of leucorrhea in young girls.
Leucorrhoea in Young Girls
When the cervix or the vagina discharges abnormal white semi-liquid all the time, it is called leucorrhoea in medical terms. It can be thick or thin in consistency and its color may be yellow or white. Leucorrhea is a common condition, seen in young girls experiencing new hormonal changes.
There are generally 2 types of leucorrhoea:
- Physiological discharge is one where a white sticky discharge, thin in consistency, occurs continuously. The major cause of it is hormonal imbalance and it occurs in several young girls.
- Pathological discharge is one which occurs due to an underlying condition, most commonly an infection in the female reproductive tract.
It is important to understand the causes and symptoms of leucorrhea in young girls to be able to treat the condition appropriately.
Causes of Leucorrhoea in Young Girls
Some of the major causes of leucorrhoea in young girls, be it physiological or pathological, need to be evaluated properly. The white discharge can occur either from the vagina or the cervix.
- One of the major causes of leucorrhoea in young girls is hormonal changes which occur during a young girl’s puberty. The female hormone known as estrogen fluctuates rapidly thereby increasing vaginal secretion and also giving way to physiological leucorrhoea.
- Another major cause of leucorrhoea in young girls is poor hygiene conditions. Young girls who are unable to maintain or are unaware of proper hygiene during their menstrual cycle are more susceptible to developing leucorrhoea. Poor hygiene increases the risk of vaginal discharge and is one of the common causes of leucorrhea in young girls.
- Young girls who are starting their menstruation and are anemic, run a higher risk of getting leucorrhoea. Being malnourished from early age increases the risk of anemia and other nutritional deficiencies, which can also be one of the causes of leucorrhea in young girls.
- If a young girl becomes sexually active early in life it too can result in leucorrhoea. Chlamydia or Trichomonas vaginalis are some infective pathogens which get active and can cause vaginal infection, thus causing leucorrhea in young girls.
- A common cause of leucorrhoea in young girls is excessive sexual desire and masturbation which leads to white discharge. Also the use of lubricants, jellies and vaginal sprays can worsen the problem.
- Keeping the vaginal area moist and unhygienic, especially during menstruation, can cause fungal infection, which is an important cause of leucorrhoea in young girls. Not using proper sanitary napkins, not changing them often and wearing tight synthetic undergarments can make the area moist.
- Leucorrhoea in young girls can also occur due to injury to the female genital tract. Such vaginal discharge is often accompanied with blood stains.
- If a young girl forgets to remove her tampon once her menstrual cycle is over, it can give rise to abnormal white discharge which is actually leucorrhoea.
- Hormonal imbalance caused due to severe mental stress and trauma too can cause leucorrhoea in young girls, which is not easy to treat.
Symptoms of Leucorrhoea in Young Girls
The signs and symptoms of leucorrhoea in young girls differ from one girl to another. The severity of the discharge, its color, texture and consistency is not the same amongst all young girls.
However, some of the most common symptoms of leucorrhoea are mentioned below:
- Thick or thin sticky discharge from the vagina which is white in color is one of the most obvious symptoms of leucorrhoea in young girls.
- When caused due to an infection, leucorrhoea in young girls is yellow in color and has a very foul smell.
- The young girl experiences soreness, swelling and excessive itching in the vagina along with leucorrhea.
- Headache and backache are another common symptom of leucorrhoea in young girls.
- Feeling weak and inactive is commonly seen in young girls having leucorrhea.
- Urination with a burning sensation can be associated with leucorrhoea in young girls.
- Calf and thigh muscles can pain immensely with vaginal discharge.
- Rashes can appear in the genital region with leucorrhea.
- Presence of white discharge on the inside of the undergarment may be noticed when young girls have leucorrhea.
Natural Remedies for Leucorrhoea in Young Girls
Leucorrhoea is not a serious condition and by taking certain measures, young girls can get rid of this problem. Some of the commonest and simplest methods to cure leucorrhoea are to follow proper hygiene especially during menstruation and to live and eat healthy every day. Eating a nutritious diet which boasts of green leafy vegetables, fruits and dairy products, wearing cotton and loose undergarments and avoiding the use of jellies, perfumed soaps and sprays are some of the simply ways to cure leucorrhoea effectively.
However, there are some really great natural remedies for leucorrhoea in young girls which are extremely simple to follow and effective to use. Try some of these remedies in the comfort of your home and control leucorrhoea without the use of medicines or drugs.
- Ripe banana is considered as one of the effective natural remedies for leucorrhea in young girls. Take a ripe banana and mash it completely. Add a teaspoon of butter to it and consume twice daily for 7 to 8 days. The white discharge will slowly start to lessen.
- Take a glass of water and add a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice to it. Wash your vaginal area with this water, which is a great natural remedy for leucorrhea in young girls. It will help eliminate fungal infection and also control germs while keeping the area clean.
- Drink a glass full of rice water every morning to get rid of leucorrhea in young girls naturally. Rice water is available in almost all supermarkets and stores.
- Boil a liter of water and add 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to it. Continue to boil till the water reduces to half. Cool and drink a bowl of this water every morning. It has great properties, which can help to treat leucorrhea naturally.
- One of the best natural remedies for leucorrhoea in young girls is coriander seeds. Take a glass of water and soak a tablespoon of coriander seeds in it. Let it rest overnight. Strain and consume this water first thing in the morning. Repeat every night for at least 10 days.
- Take a ripened mango and mash it to get its pulp. Simply apply this pulp in your vaginal area twice every day to get relief from leucorrhoea in a few days time.
Leucorrhoea in young girls can be easily treated by taking the right measures, it. However, it is necessary to find the cause of leucorrhoea. Also, look for the symptoms of leucorrhoea in young girls to identify the problem and then deal with it accordingly. Seek medical opinion, if appropriate.