This article on Epainassist.com has been reviewed by a medical professional, as well as checked for facts, to assure the readers the best possible accuracy.

We follow a strict editorial policy and we have a zero-tolerance policy regarding any level of plagiarism. Our articles are resourced from reputable online pages. This article may contains scientific references. The numbers in the parentheses (1, 2, 3) are clickable links to peer-reviewed scientific papers.

The feedback link “Was this Article Helpful” on this page can be used to report content that is not accurate, up-to-date or questionable in any manner.

This article does not provide medical advice.


What Are The Chances Of Having A Molar Pregnancy?

A molar pregnancy happens because of improper fertilization. The genetic material received by the fetus will not be correct. In a complete molar pregnancy, there will not be any genetic matter from mother whereas in partial molar pregnancy there will be extra genetic material from father. The placenta grows abnormally and there will be an increase in the size of the uterus to accommodate the abnormal placental growth.

What Are The Chances Of Having A Molar Pregnancy?

What Are The Chances Of Having A Molar Pregnancy?

In the United States, every 1 in 1000 pregnancy is a molar pregnancy. White women are at higher risk of developing molar gestation than black women. In countries such as Mexico, Southeast Asia, and the Philippines, women have the higher rates of molar pregnancy than the United States. Asians are at increased risk of developing molar pregnancies.

If you had a molar pregnancy previously there are 1% chances that you may have molar pregnancy again resulting in formation of abnormal placental growth and water-filled sacs inside the uterus. This means 99% of pregnancies after molar pregnancy will have a normal gestation. In case you have more than one molar pregnancy then the chances of having molar pregnancy are higher. A woman with multiple molar pregnancies has 15% to 20% chances of having another molar pregnancy.

It does not mean that people with molar pregnancies will not have a normal pregnancy. Only the risk of molar pregnancy increases. Molar pregnancies are more common older women and teenagers.

People at risk of molar pregnancy include:

  • Pregnant women who are less than 20 years and more than 35 years of age. Partial molar pregnancies are irrespective of age
  • The Asian population is at increased risk of developing molar pregnancies
  • Previous molar pregnancy increase the risk of molar pregnancy
  • Deficiency of folic acid, vitamin A and or protein

Women recovering with molar pregnancy should include lots of fruits and vegetable and have a balanced diet. Doctor prescribes to include proteins and Vitamin A to reduce the risk of abnormal pregnancies.

Talk to your doctor if you have had a molar pregnancy before. The doctor may recommend you to wait for 6 months to one year before trying to conceive again. Women who intend to conceive sooner after a molar pregnancy can have a higher risk of having another molar pregnancy. The HCG levels have to come to normal before conceiving again. Your doctor will advise for another pregnancy only after all the remnants of previous molar pregnancy have been removed. Most of the molar pregnancies end in miscarriage and get diagnosed after a miscarriage. The abnormal molar cells continue to grow in womb resulting in persistent trophoblastic disease or choriocarcinoma.

High level of HCG after termination of pregnancy indicates that molar tissue is still in the womb, growing and may be turning malignant. So it is advised to monitor HCG levels and not to get pregnant to avoid misinterpretation of results whether it is because of pregnancy or remnants of or growing molar tissue. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks after a molar pregnancy for the hormone levels to come within the range and then the women are monitored for a period of one year to allow complete elimination of molar tissue and have a healthy pregnancy. Women should not stop doctor visits after getting the normal levels careful monitoring for a year is a must to avoid the risk of carcinoma. The women trying to conceive have to be patient to enjoy the bliss of child and parenthood.


1 in 1000 woman in United States has a molar pregnancy. If you have had a molar pregnancy before then the chances of having a molar pregnancy increases. People at risk due to age or ethnicity should seek immediate medical attention upon observing symptoms. A woman who had a molar pregnancy can have a normal pregnant later in life.


  1. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. (2020). Gestational Trophoblastic Disease. https://www.acog.org/womens-health/faqs/gestational-trophoblastic-disease
  2. Mayo Clinic. (2021). Molar Pregnancy. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/molar-pregnancy/symptoms-causes/syc-20375175
  3. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). (2018). Molar Pregnancy. https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/molar-pregnancy/

Also Read:

Pramod Kerkar, M.D., FFARCSI, DA
Pramod Kerkar, M.D., FFARCSI, DA
Written, Edited or Reviewed By: Pramod Kerkar, M.D., FFARCSI, DA Pain Assist Inc. This article does not provide medical advice. See disclaimer
Last Modified On:August 3, 2023

Recent Posts

Related Posts