What is Umbilicus?
Umbilicus is also known as navel or belly button. The tissue underneath the umbilicus supports the umbilical cord, which is a channel to supply nourishment to embryo and fetus from mother's placenta. After birth the umbilical cord is cut from the fetus and fetal skin forms a scar with a significant dimple called umbilicus.
Belly Button Pain or Umbilical Pain: What Causes Pain Around Belly Button?
Some Of The Most Common Causes Of Belly Button Pain Or Umbilical Pain Are:
- Umbilical Hernia tends to cause very severe pain around belly button or umbilical area.
- Constipation: Chronic cases of constipation can cause pain around the belly button
Belly Button Pain or Umbilical Pain could be related to diseases of umbilicus. Most of the Umbilical Pains are either Referred Pain or Radiating Pain.
Causes of Referred Belly Button Pain or Referred Umbilical Pain
On examination if the diseased organ is stimulated during palpation, the pain is felt at a different area than the anatomical area of diseased organ. Appendix is anatomically placed under right inguinal area and inflammation of appendix is called appendicitis. Increased pressure over inflamed appendix during examination causes feeling of severe pain over umbilical area. The pain felt over umbilical area is a referred pain from diseased appendix called appendicitis.
Referred Belly Button Pain or Umbilical Pain Can Be Caused Due To:
Causes of Radiating Belly Button Pain or Radiating Umbilical Pain?
Pain consistently felt over belly button or umbilicus at rest from a diseased organ not underlying umbilicus is called a radiating belly button pain or radiating umbilical pain. Radiating belly button pain or radiating umbilical pain is different than a referred belly button or referred umbilical pain. Referred Pain is induced by pressure or movement of inflamed organ and pain is felt at distant area. Radiating pain is continuous and felt at distant organ even at rest. Irritable bowel syndrome,diverticulitis and appendicitis causes radiating pain to umbilical area of abdomen.
Radiating Belly Button Pain or Umbilical Pain Can Be Caused Due To:
- Celiac Disease.
- Colon Cancer.
- Crohn's Disease.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Mesenteric Artery Ischemia.
- Ruptured Spleen.
- Umbilical Hernia.
- Wilm's Tumor.
Non-Referred and Non-Radiating Belly Button Pain or Umbilical Pain is Caused By:
- Wearing tight pants or dresses for long duration can tend to cause mild to moderate pain or discomfort around belly button or the umbilical area.
- Umbilical hernia is a very common cause of belly button pain or umbilical pain.
- Obstructed or incarcerated umbilical hernia.
- Abdominal muscle tear around umbilicus can also cause severe belly button pain or pain around the umbilicus.
- Diagnosis of Belly Button Pain or Umbilical Pain: Acute Pain, Chronic Pain
- Treatment For Belly Button Pain Caused By 12 Different Medical Conditions
- Home Remedies for Treating Belly Button Infections
- What Can Cause Increased Pain Behind Navel And Swollen Abdomen?
- Belly Button Pain or Umbilical Pain: What Causes Pain Around Belly Button?
- What Causes Belly Button Infections, Know Its Symptoms, Treatments, Home Remedies