If you do not treat the acne soon, it shall leave permanent scars and dark spots on your skin. The acne occurs when the oil from the gland forms a plug getting mixed with the hair follicle and the dead cells of the skin. The bacterium thrives on it and forms whiteheads, blackheads and pimples. The swelling follows soon. If acne is not treated, the affected area of the skin will not look the same as before which may bring down your self-esteem. Hence it is crucial to consult a dermatologist for acne treatment.
What Can a Dermatologist Do For Acne?
It is better to consult an experienced dermatologist if you are suffering from acne. Delaying the treatment may lead to permanent scars and dark spots on the skin. Depending on the severity of your acne the dermatologist will prescribe medications, creams, soaps.
Some of the common treatment methods adopted by dermatologists for treating acne are:
- A low dose antibiotic may help to get relieved from the acne growing on your face. Even though antibiotics may be known to worsen the situation of acne, an antibiotic which is light in dosage like a doxyclycline controls and stops the inflammation on your face without causing any antibacterial resistance. If you are on any other antibiotic while you acne treatment is going on, consult the dermatologist before taking in this medicine. For acne that develops around the jawline of women, pills to increase the estrogen level may be helpful. For men, bringing down the testosterone level may help treat acne. For the drying of acne on your face, salicylic acid induced gel or liquid is often prescribed by the dermatologist.
- A chemical peeling is the most suitable way of removing acne often adopted by the dermatologists. This peel is known as glycolic peel. This dissolves and breaks the gel holding he bacteria and the dead cells. The peeling method works on inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne.
Dermatologists often suggest avoiding any kind of food the produces oil, since oil is the main trigger for acne.
Things to Keep In Mind During Acne Treatment
When you consult a dermatologist regarding your acne, he or she will suggest you the best treatment possible to remove your acne and remove the scars. You should also be aware of the fact that which kind of treatment will suit you the most. Always keep in mind that you should not be up for any kind of treatment where you see that your acne is getting worse. For some cases, the treatment may continue for a long time (for a couple of years) and often you have to continue the treatment at regular intervals in order to check the acne from growing.
If you are pregnant or planning on getting pregnant while your acne treatment is going on, always consult your doctor about the medications that you will be taking in since oral medications are often prescribed by the doctors while treating acne. Sometimes when the treatment begins, the acne will seem to grow more. You should then not stop your treatment rather you can use a non- comedogenic moisturizer after consulting the medical personnel who is treating you. The treatment may cause irritation on your skin but that should not make you stop from carrying on the treatment. The irritation is rather temporary and will soon stop working as the treatment begins to settle down. The effectiveness of the treatment depends on the kind of treatment you receive.
- Acne or Acne Vulgaris: Causes, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedies
- Massage Your Face to Get Rid of Acne Scars
- Quick Ways to Get Rid of Acne Scars
- What Causes Acne on Back and Shoulders & How to Get Rid of it?
- Types of Acne on Chin & Ways to Get Rid of it
- Causes of Acne in Women After the Teen Years
- Know the Types of Acne Scars & Can it Be Removed Permanently?
- What is Considered as a Severe Acne & What are its Causes?