Flatulence can be named as fart, toots or gas which is a natural process of our body but usually an aspect of embarrassment for many people. Flatulence or fart gets formed in human stomach while the digestion process initiates. There are many reasons behind the formation of gas in human stomach. Many people have gastric issues and find it difficult to fart while being with their office co-workers or in public. But flatulence or gastric problems in infants or children is a matter of concern. Especially gassy babies can’t express their gastric issues hence their way of communication has only one option and that is crying.
Flatulence in Infants
Gas formation in stomach, be it in adults or infants is completely normal. Passing it by burping or farting are the only two options to get rid of gas. Passing flatulence 14-20 times a day is completely normal for adults as well as infants. When gas doesn’t pass easily either by burp or fart there starts the real problem. Stomach issues such as gastric, acidity, bloating, upset stomach or stomach ache can be seen in both infants and adults. Children and infants are usually vulnerable to discomfort caused by gas formation in stomach. Babies and infants can only express their discomfort through crying, and understanding their reason of discomfort is very critical and essential. Before heading towards any treatment it is very important to understand their pain and symptoms related to their discomfort.
Gas formation or flatulence in infants have many reasons such as wrong posture while breast feeding or bottle feeding, overfeeding, swallowing air while feeding or crying, weak digestion, lactose overload allergies interfering with natural digestive process. As discussed above, recognizing the reason of gas formation in children is very important before initiating any treatment at home. In extreme cases parents must consult paediatrician or any doctor to alleviate the pain.
Symptoms of gas pain or excessive formation of flatulence in infants or toddlers include abdominal pain, stomach cramps, constipation, bloating and diarrhea. Pain caused due to excessive flatulence in children leads to loss of appetite, crying, weight loss, sleeplessness, vomiting and fever. If any of these symptoms do not resolve quickly then it’s highly recommended to consult your family doctor or any paediatrician immediately.
Natural Treatment for Excessive Flatulence in Children
Apart from medical treatment and medication, there are some natural and easy first hand treatments that can be done to relieve infants and children from excessive flatulence and gas formation. Because kids are easily vulnerable to stomach issues be it babies, infants or children. The first hand natural treatments for excessive flatulence in children are—
- Feed your infant by keeping the body posture right in such a way that the head is little higher in level to the stomach.
- If you’re feeding your baby with bottle keep it in tilt position so that there remains no air at the nozzle from which baby cannot suck in any air along with milk.
- After feeding hold your baby keeping the stomach on your chest and shoulder to pat on their back to get rid of gas formed in their stomach which is a natural treatment to get instant relief from flatulence.
- While making your baby fall asleep, put your baby on bed with stomach down and back towards you.
- If your baby is 2-3 years old make them sleep on their left side so that they get good digestion getting rid of excessive flatulence.
- Kids and children above 5-6 age group must be taken care of regarding their food habits as carbonated drinks and other junk foods can cause gas formation.
- Stop your children from chewing gums as while chewing gums they gulp little amount of air every time forming excessive gas in the stomach.
- Make your child eat food by properly chewing them as gulping food fast and quickly can cause gas formation too.
- For children of 5-7 years age group, parents should add little yogurt in their children’s diet as yogurt are loaded with healthy bacteria that helps in digestion and getting rid of gas and flatulence.
- For infants, put your baby on bed keeping their stomach upside and gently massage their belly in clockwise to direction to pass out gas easily.
- Move the legs of babies like riding a bicycle to get rid of excessive gas that gets unable to pass out causing pain in stomach.
- If you feed your baby through bottle make sure the bottle’s nipple has smaller hole as larger holes can make them gulp air while sucking milk.
- Burp your baby after every feed because it is very important to get rid of gas formed in stomach soon after they fill their stomach.
- An ancient method of getting rid of stomach issues especially flatulence in infants and children is mixing 1 teaspoon of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of water to apply on their navel thoroughly twice a day to alleviate the gastric pain and irritation.
- Babies who are 6 months and above can be given carom seeds water (boil water with 2 tablespoon of carom seeds and let it cool down) twice a day to get relief from excessive gas and flatulence.
- Adding ginger to your kid’s food diet above 6 years of age can be helpful in beating gastric issues.
- Gripe water is a solution especially for babies above 2 months to alleviate their stomach issues and flatulence. It is a mixture of proper quantity of water, herbs, ginger and chamomile including dill for the stomach discomfort quick relief.
Natural Remedies for Flatulence in Children
You can recognize your children’s or baby’s gastric pain from their unusual behaviour such as crying more sharper and frantic than usual. Some babies draw their legs up towards their tummy or stomach, loss of appetite and not having smooth bowel. These are some of the symptoms to know if infants or your children have flatulence issues. If your toddler suffers from chronic stomach pain there are some simple home remedies to try to get quick relief from gastric pain.
Water helps to relieve stomach pain caused due to gastric issues in infants easily above 5 months. Luke warm water 3-4 times a day gives instant relief from excessive flatulence in babies. You can also keep boiled water for a day to feed your baby throughout the day for several times.
Gentle and slow massage on infants’ or babies’ belly can be very effective natural treatment for excessive flatulence. Gentle massaging in clockwise direction helps babies to get rid of excess gas easily.
Exercise reduces gastric pain in infants and toddlers. Move your child’s legs in gentle cyclic motion between each feedings that creates pressure on stomach to pass gas easily. You can also cross your baby’s legs slowly to get the similar effect.
Warm compress also helps in releasing gas in babies as the warm temperature expels flatulence easily making baby relax. Soak a towel in warm water and squeeze it to drain out excess water completely to place it on your baby’s belly till it gets cool. Repeat process twice a day.
Fennel seeds are quite helpful in relieving excessive flatulence in infants as it is a beneficial natural treatment and remedy for both toddlers and babies. Boil ½ tsp of fennel seeds in 4 cups of water and filter the decoction to let it cool and feed your baby twice a day. Breastfeeding mothers can also drink it for their babies below 4 months.
Coconut Oil and Water
A traditional remedy for treating excessive gas formation in babies is making a mixture of coconut oil and water. Mix 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of water to apply on your baby’s navel and little around it to get instant relief.
Carom seeds decoction
Carom seeds are highly beneficial for gastric and excessive flatulence in infants above 6 months. Boil one glass of water adding 1 tablespoon of carom seeds to filter the decoction to feed your baby twice a day to get quick relief from gas.
Cumin seeds are great for digestion and prevent gas formation in stomach. Cumin seed decoction is quite beneficial for children gastric issues. Boil one cup of water with ½ tsp of cumin seeds for 5-10 minutes and give your kids to drink thrice a day to get rid of excessive flatulence.
The antispasmodic and antiflatulent properties present in asafoetida makes it a brilliant gas reliever in kids as well as adults. Dissolve a pinch of asafoetida in 1 tbsp of warm water to apply on the navel of your kid in a clockwise direction. You can also mix it with a banana and let your kid to eat the mixture.
Water is great for digestion. It also relieves excess of gas out your stomach either as burp or fart. Make your children drinks lots of water at least 2 litres a day.
Chamomile is a natural remedy to treat stomach ailments especially excessive flatulence creation in stomach. Add ½ teaspoon of chamomile flower dried powder to boil in one cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Filter the decoction and add 1 tsp of honey and let it cool at room temperature and give you children to sip the solution thrice a day.
Ginger is a natural digestive agent that not only treats stomach ailments but also helps in passing gas instantly. Either give your children a thumb size peeled ginger with little salt to chew and drink water after it or add ginger to your kid’s diet for better digestion.
The healthy bacteria called lactobacillus present in yogurt are the best digestive agents. Yogurt helps in easy digestion and reduces gas formation in stomach and is highly beneficial for both toddlers and adults.