Low sperm count or oligospermia is a medical condition wherein the sperm count in the ejaculation is low.
A sperm count of, less than 15 million sperms/millimeter of semen is considered low and is associated with problems in conceiving as the low count decreases the odds of one of the sperm fertilizing with the partner’s egg.
Azoospermia is a male fertility issue in which there are no sperms in the semen.
There are various treatment options available to treat the condition of low sperm count and homeopathy is one of them. It is a safe option but the medicines should be taken only after consulting a professional.
Symptoms of Low Sperm Count
The main sign of a low sperm count is difficulty in conceiving. Other symptoms include:
- Low sex drive and erection
- Painful, swollen testes or a lump in the testicles
- A decrease in facial and body hair
- Signs of chromosomal or hormone abnormality
What Causes Low Sperm Count?
Production of sperms requires normal functioning of testicles as well as hypothalamus and pituitary glands. These are the organs which produce hormones that trigger sperm production. As the sperms are formed they are transported through the tubes and mix with semen and are ejaculated out of the penis. Any problem in this whole system leads to a low sperm count.
Medical Causes Of Low Sperm Count
- Varicocele is the most common cause of male infertility which can be reversed. It can result in low sperm count.
- Infection interferes with sperm production or harm sperm health.
- Ejaculation problem can result from diseases such as diabetes, spinal injuries, surgery of bladder, prostate, and urethra. Certain medication can also lead to ejaculation problem.
- Cancers and tumors can affect the male reproductive system and affect the hormones related to reproduction.
- The antibody sometimes attack sperms identifying them as harmful invader can bring down the sperm count.
- Alteration in hormones can alter sperm production.
- Defect in the tubules, blockage at any level can affect the sperm count.
Environmental Causes Of Low Sperm Count
- Exposure to certain chemicals such as benzenes, toluene, herbicides, and pesticides might contribute to low sperm count (2).
- Heavy metal exposure can cause infertility.
- Exposure to radiations can reduce sperm production.
- Overheating of testicles from the sauna and hot tubes might impair sperm count.
Health, Lifestyle And Other Causes Of Low Sperm Count
- Drugs such as anabolic steroids can cause testicles to shrink and decrease sperm production.
- Excess alcohol consumption can decrease testosterone level and also the sperm count (1).
- Certain occupation involving prolonged sitting might increase the risk of low sperm count.
- Tobacco smoking can be another reason for low sperm count.
- Obesity can impair fertility and directly impact the sperm.
- Stress and depression can affect sperm concentration negatively.
Homeopathic Treatment Of Improving Sperm Count
Homeopathy is an effective way to treat oligospermia and azoospermia. The medicines involved help improve sperm count, sperm motility, sperm viscosity, erectile dysfunction, and hormonal imbalances. The treatment has a high success rate and is safe to use.
Acid Phos: Acid Phos increases the sperm count in those suffering from unintentional and involuntary seminal loss. It also plays a role in improving sperm quality.
Agnus Castus: It is an effective remedy for the patients with decreased sexual power which includes dysfunction in erection, relaxed, shriveled, and cold genitals. Agnus castus can also be given to those with an aversion to sexual intercourse.
Arnica: This medicine can be given to those suffering from low sperm count due to varicocele.
Aurum Met: It is a medicine of choice if the cause of low sperm count is varicocele.
Caladium: Caladium is used to treat those with low and weak sexual powers if the cause is tobacco usage.
Conium: If the low sperm count is caused by orchitis when the testes become swell and enlarger, conium can prove to be helpful.
Hamamelis: It is an efficient remedy for curing low sperm count when the cause is varicocele.
Iodum: This medicine is helpful in the treatment of painful hydrocele.
Rhododendron: This medicine is given when there are severely painful and swollen testes which are even tender to touch. It helps in curing the condition and also bringing the sperm count in level.
Selenium: Selenium is given in cases of excessive seminal loss. It effectively treats involuntary seminal loss during sleep, while passing stool, or while urinating.
Staphysagria: It can be given in the case of oligospermia caused due to orchitis, varicocele, and involuntary seminal loss. It helps improve the quantity and quality of sperms.
- Medical Conditions Linked to Low Sperm Count
- Can You Still Get Pregnant with Low Sperm Count?
- How Do You Treat Low Sperm Count?