Skin & Hair Health Benefits of Tangerine Essential Oil
Originated from the great Chinese culture, tangerine oil is a sweet-smelling essential oil obtained from the citrus fruit tangerine. The oil is cold-pressed from the rind of the fruit and hence has a very good fragrance. The uses of tangerine oil in herbal health practices and its benefits are interpreted in the history of medicine for its far-fetched aromatic treatments and health benefits.
Skin & Hair Health Benefits of Tangerine Essential Oil & Its Uses
Let us now see the miraculous benefits of tangerine essential oil for skin and hair health.
Tangerine Oil Is Perfect For Skin Regeneration:
Tangerine essential oil has cytophylactic and depurative properties and hence is beneficial in detoxifying and purification of the skin from within. This purgative property of tangerine oil helps in the stimulation and growth of new skin cells. It also repairs the regular wear and tear of the cells that function frequently in our body. It is a light and non-greasy essential oil that penetrates deep into the cells making it extremely effective for matured or ageing skin. It slowly prevents the visible signs of ageing and makes you look much youthful and healthy.
Tangerine Oil Has Amazing Soothing Effect:
Tangerine oil has a sweet tangy smell with a zesty aroma. It has therapeutic properties that instantly lift the mood and fill us with zest and energy. It is great for people dealing with hypertension and stress. Due to its calming effects, it reduces tension in the body and balances the emotional anxieties. Due to its sedative properties, tangerine oil is beneficial in inducing a stable sleeping pattern as well. The oil has a tranquillizing effect that reduces irritability and helps with depressions and insomnia.
Most Ayurveda practitioners recommend tangerine oil to people who do not get adequate sleep and need to relax their nerves. To make the best of this oil for a relaxing purpose, you can follow the given steps:
- You can add a few drops of tangerine essential oil in your regular bath water or massage the oil to reduce your stress level over time.
- Take a clean cotton ball and add a few drops of tangerine essential oil and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Put this inside your pillowcase and enjoy a peaceful sleep.
Tangerine Oil As A Great Antiseptic:
Tangerine essential oil like any other oil that is obtained from a citrus fruit, has strong antiseptic properties and contains certain components that kill harmful bacteria and prevent them from spreading. It can not only be applied externally on cuts, wound and sunburns but can also be taken orally to have a uniform effect on the body. By applying it directly on the wound, the antiseptic properties of the oil will help kill the bacteria on the source and disinfect the wound and fasten the healing process.
Eventually, it will reduce the redness and swelling of the wound and heal it in a few days. It is also extremely beneficial in reducing old stretch marks and scars as well.
Benefits of Tangerine Oil in Skin Exfoliation:
Tangerine oil is a great tonic substance that helps in restoring and invigorating skin cells. It helps in removing all the dead skin cells making the skin soft and supple.
To make a homemade scrub using tangerine oil, all you need is:
- 10-15 drops of tangerine essential oil
- 5-10 drops of spearmint essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of granulated brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
Instructions. Add all the ingredients in a clean bowl and mix them well to make a thick paste. Apply it on your hands, legs and other parts of the body and rub in a circular motion. While rice flour and sugar will help remove the dead skin cells, tangerine and spearmint essential oils will give an amazing soothing feeling. Exfoliate your skin with this scrub twice a week and you will see really amazing results.
Tangerine Oil For An Energizing Bath:
Tangerine oil is loaded with powerful antioxidant d-limonene and is a great stress reliever. You can add a few drops of tangerine oil to your bathwater or add it along with your bath salts. This will fill your bath place with an enriching aroma and a beautiful tangy fragrance that will make a perfect soak for the start of your day. The refreshing fruity scent will boost your energy and help in increasing blood circulation in the body. Tangerine oil has antispasmodic properties that will reduce muscle cramps in the body, induce relaxation and eventually supports the nervous system. It also relaxes and deals with the digestive system and relieves the other organ systems from spasm. If you want an amazing start of your busy day, you can definitely add the following citrus essential oils in your bathtub:
- Tangerine essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Spearmint essential oil
- Citrus oils are amazingly helpful in uplifting the mood and fill you with zest and valour.
Skin Moisturizing Benefits of Tangerine Essential Oil:
Since tangerine essential oil is fairly light, non-greasy and penetrates deep into the skin, it becomes a perfect moisturizer for all skin type people. As people with oily skin are prone to acne, breakouts and pimple problems, they generally require a light moisturizer that does not cause redness and rashes. Given below is the perfect DIY face mask for people with oily skin for nigh-time routine. The ingredient list is as follow:
- 10-15 drops of tangerine essential oil.
- 2-3 drops of jojoba essential oil.
- 5-10 drops of lemon essential oil.
- 5-10 drops of petitgrain essential oil.
Instructions. Add all these essential oils in the given proportion in a dark-coloured airtight glass bottle. A dark coloured bottle is needed due to the high amount of vitamin C content in the oils which might get decomposed in the light. Wash your face thoroughly at night and with the help of a dropper, use few drops of this mixture and massage all over your face and neck. Repeat this process every night before sleeping and you will see visible results in a few days.
Benefits of Tangerine Essential Oil in Getting Beautiful Voluminous Hair:
With its amazing moisturizing properties, tangerine essential oil is not only good for the skin, but it is also very beneficial in treating dull and frizzy hair. It is an amazing ingredient for hair as it is rich in vitamin C that promotes hair growth. Also, it acts as a wonderful hair conditioner which provides that much-needed nourishment to the dry hair. Its strong antiseptic properties effectively help in treating dandruff, flaky scalp and other scalp related infections. It removes the accumulated impurities on the scalp and promotes the growth of new hair follicles.
To use tangerine oil as a scalp treatment, all you need to take is:
- 2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 10-15 drops of tangerine essential oil
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil.
Instructions. Add all these oils properly and massage it directly on your scalp in circular motion. Massage the oil thoroughly and keep it overnight. Shampoo your hair in the morning. Do it thrice a week to get rid of any scalp related problem.
Precautions to Keep in Mind:
Before you start using tangerine essential oil or any other essential oil, you should always thoroughly go through the precautions that should be maintained while using these oils.
- It is highly recommended not to use tangerine essential oil or any other oil that is obtained from a citrus fruit before you step into the sun. These oils are rich in vitamin C that adversely reacts with the UV rays and might make the skin vulnerable to skin burns, inflammation and redness. Hence, you should avoid using these oils even before 12 hours of being exposed to the harmful rays of the sun.
- Although tangerine essential oil is non-toxic and non-irritating in nature, it should still be carefully used and prescribed to people who have sensitive skin and are prone to rashes and blisters. Always do a patch test on the back of your hand before you apply it all over your skin.
- Since essential oils are extremely concentrated in nature, pregnant women should consult their doctors before using them. Their skin is most sensitive at this stage and should not be experimented with strong essential oils.
- Essential oils are not for infants and small children. Their skin is very vulnerable and sensitive and not suitable for concentrated oils. So keep them out of the reach of children.
The most important thing that should be kept in mind before using essential oil is that always dilute these oils with a mild carrier oil like coconut or olive oil. Essential oils are nowhere meant to be used directly or in an excess amount. They should be used dropwise and very carefully.
- A Guide to Basics of Essential Oils: Its Preparation, Use, Benefits, Precautions
- Essential Oil Recipes For Your Health
- Safety Guide for Using Essential Oils on Babies
- What Are The Beauty Benefits Of Rosemary Essential Oils?
- 11 Skin and Hair Health Benefits of Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- How to Use Myrrh Essential Oil for Beautiful Skin, Nails & Other Health Benefits?