According to Hindu philosophy, Chakras are energy centers in the body that play an important role in our physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. It is very important to understand the science of mind-body energy system is essential for becoming the healthy, radiant and vibrant.
The Sanskrit word Chakra literally translates to "wheel" or "disk." In yoga, the term Chakra refers to wheels of energy throughout the body.
The chakras are subtle energy bodies located within the spinal cord and housed within the innermost core of the Sushumna Nadi. This core is called the Brahma Nadi which is called the carrier of spiritual energy. The Nadis carry subtle energy throughout the body. It is like Chakras are the electricity poles and nadis are the wires carrying energy throughout the body.
It is essential that your seven main chakras always stay open and aligned. If there is a blockage in any one of the chakras, the flow of energy is constricted or blocked.
The aim is to unblock, move, and transform your energy to reach and achieve highest mental, physical, and spiritual state and be one with the universal consciousness.
About Sahasrara Chakra Or The Crown Chakra
The crown chakra is the seventh chakra In the human body. It is derived from Sanskrit and is called "Sahasrara" chakra. The word "Sahasrara" means "A thousand petals". It is described in Indian mythology as being placed above the head or in the crown, while modern thinkers and philosophers say that it is located at the top of the head.
Mystics describe that the Sahasrara chakra is in the form of a lotus with thousand white petals being arranged in twenty layers with each layer containing fifty petals with holy letters of the Sanskrit written on them.
As per Hindu mythology and in the seven chakra system the Crown Chakra is assigned the color of violet. And it is said that the colors of these petals change and appear as a rainbow of colors passes shining brightly through them.
The seventh Chakra is also called Shunnya, Niralambapuri, Akasha chakra, Sahasrara padma, Sahasrara Mahapadma, Sahasrara Saroruha, Sahasradala, Sahasradala Padma, Pankaja, Kamala, Adhomukha Mahapadma, Wyomambhoja, Shiras Padma, Amlana Padma, Dashashatadala Padma, Shuddha Padma and Shantyatita Pada.
Crown Chakra Symbol
The symbol of the Crown chakra is composed of:
- A circle
- A thousand petals
The dominating color of the crown chakra symbol is white. It is said that the petals are multi color and it looks like a rainbow. However, Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is assigned the violet color. The circle is sometimes also compared to the symbol of the full moon.
When you are able to restore the power of your chakras, you can take control of your health and wellness by learning to work with energy yourself and you realize that staying well and happy is actually in your own hands.
Crown Chakra Location
The location for the seventh chakra i.e. Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is at the top of the head or slightly above the head. It sits in the crown of the head and is radiating upwards, hence its name.
The Crown chakra is primarily associated with the pituitary gland, and secondarily to the pineal and the hypothalamus.
The hypothalamus and pituitary gland work in pair to regulate the endocrine system. Because of its location, the crown chakra is closely associated with the brain and the whole nervous system.
It is said that Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is also related to the first chakra energetically and has a connection the first chakra, as both of them are at the extremities of the chakra system.
Behavioral Characteristics Of The Crown Chakra
The Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is associated with the following psychological and behavioral characteristics:
- Consciousness or Intuitive knowledge
- Awareness of higher consciousness, wisdom, and connection to one's spirituality.
- Connection with the formless, the limitless and integration with our Highest self
- Realization and liberation from mortal things, wisdom, and wholeness
- Communion with higher states of consciousness and oneness with the divine
- Ecstasy, bliss, and surrender to the divine
- Related to spiritual nature
- Psychic gift of prophecy or ability to sense divine plans
The activated and open Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra brings an end to our limitations, whether they are personal or bound to space and time. The level and sense of awareness that comes with the activation of Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is universal and transcendent.
Chakras Associated To Sahasrara Chakra Or The Crown Chakra
- The Forehead Chakra: The Forehead Chakra is also called land or Chandra Chakra. It has 16 petals and is white and blossoms when we achieve exemplary spiritual consciousness.
- Manas Chakra or Mind Chakra: Manas Chakra has six petals that are normally white, but assume other colors associated with the five senses, plus the brain or mind and is also called the mind chakra.
- Bindu Visarga: The Bindu Visarga is located at the back of the head. It is the place where many Brahmins keep a tuft of hair. Bindu Visarga is symbolized by a crescent moon. It is said to be the point through which the soul enters the body. It is often described as the source of the divine nectar. This chakra is sometimes known as the Indu, Chandra, or Soma Chakra. It is responsible for joyous mood, deep spiritual love, humility, reflection, restfulness.
- Mahanada: Mahananda means "Great Sound". The shape of this chakra is like a plow. It represents the divine sound which is responsible for the creation of the entire universe.
- Guru Chakra: The Guru Chakra is located above the head, just below Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra. The color of Guru Chakra is white and 12 white petals.
- Nirvana Chakra: Nirvana Chakra is located on the crown of the head. It is white in color and possesses hundred white petals. It is responsible for different levels of concentration and meditation and these levels are the last three limbs of Ashtanga yoga: Dharana, Dhyana, And Savikalpa Samadhi.
The Functions Of Sahasrara Chakra Or The Crown Chakra
- Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is the most subtle chakra in the system and is related to pure consciousness. It is said that it is from this chakra that all the other chakras emanate or originate.
- It is through Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra that you reach your spiritual connection to the divine.
- Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is the seat of enlightenment and higher learning. It makes you feel connected to the divine when it is activated. It gives divine wisdom and inspiration and sense of enlightenment when the Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is activated and healthy.
- Active, open and balanced Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra makes you aware of the present. That whatever is happening is now and what you feel now will be manifested in the future. What is happening now will decide your future. Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra makes you learn how to not only live in the moment but also how to focus on this moment's creative powers. Becoming aware of your "now" thoughts starts with an open and balanced Crown chakra.
- Through the Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra, when you start exploring the divine realms and you become aware of yourself. It is through open Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra that you will be able to judge the path and true purpose of your life. You will be able to question your own beliefs you held in the past before the activation of Chakra and will be able to keep or renew your beliefs depending upon our sense of judgment and reality.
- Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra is also the source of Divine oneness. It is through the knowledge, activation, and realization of Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra that you will be able to become one with the divine. And not just being one with the divine but you will feel that you are also interconnected with other living beings as well. You will begin to see and feel the purpose and power that connects all living beings even plants to each other. You will get to know that all forms of life are connected to each other. Divine Oneness brings you into the Cosmic Consciousness which is above the worldly conscious. Here you forget about the material world and all you remember is the divine self and your purpose on this earth which is to merge with him in the end.
Signs Of Imbalanced Sahasrara Chakra Or The Crown Chakra
- Underactive Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra: The various body characteristics of underactive Crown chakra are:
- Limited belief system i.e. the person has no beliefs
- Lack of orientation
- Trouble living in the "now" as mentioned above
- Unable to meet your potential
- Bored and Dissatisfied
- Stagnant and unwilling to make changes
- Depressed and lack of concentration
- Feeling separated from the whole
- Lack of purpose and lack of physical care
- You forget to eat or feel imbalanced
- You feel very spiritually depressed
- Learning disabilities
- Parkinson's Disease
- Minor loss of memory
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Nervous disorders and ultimately nervous breakdown
- You tend to have multiple personality disorders
- Schizophrenia and suicidal tendencies
- Overactive Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra: The signs and symptoms of overactive Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra are:
- People with overactive Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra tend to be very pompous and try to very lofty
- People with overactive Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra are very dogmatic and have very rigid beliefs,
- Such people are generally disconnected from reality
- They tend to show grandiosity
- People with overactive Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra are hypocritical, selfish, greedy, wasteful, critical, obsessive and secretive,
- They tend to be corrupted and have criminal tendencies
- People with overactive Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra are always confused.
- People with overactive Sahasrara Chakra or The Crown Chakra tend to feel dizziness, lightheadedness, headaches, migraines, anxiety and spiritual depression.
Please note that when the crown chakra is open, aligned and working properly, we are well guided in everything we do by the divine, we are released from the ego, and desires f the mortal world.
People with active Sahasrara Chakra or Crown Chakra are always more joyful and will be attracted to spiritual things.
When Sahasrara Chakra or Crown Chakra is not working properly, the person may feel unhappy, have no purpose in life, will be confused all the time and will never be concerned about another person's feelings and will be self-centered. Such people will have a low self-esteem and may feel frustrated all the time. It is extremely important to have well-balanced chakras.